Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Waldstein Sonata vs Beethoven Concertos  (Read 2054 times)

Offline rovis77

• PS Silver Member
Waldstein Sonata vs Beethoven Concertos
on: November 05, 2017, 01:55:01 PM
Hi, I am learning the Waldstein Sonata since 3 weeks and Im just curious about how it compares to Beethoven Concertos in technical difficulty. Thanks!!!

Offline preludetr

Re: Waldstein Sonata vs Beethoven Concertos
Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 09:41:37 PM
I've never played with an orchestra but I can only assume that the main difficulty of a concerto is the connection with the other musicians. I don't think Beethoven would put any technical problems in his concertos that are significantly harder/different than the ones in his sonatas. So forget about the technical difficulty and focus on the real problem of a concerto.  Either way, I don't see the point of learning a concerto unless you have an orchestra that wants to play it with you.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Waldstein Sonata vs Beethoven Concertos
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 12:52:13 PM
I've never played with an orchestra but I can only assume that the main difficulty of a concerto is the connection with the other musicians. I don't think Beethoven would put any technical problems in his concertos that are significantly harder/different than the ones in his sonatas. So forget about the technical difficulty and focus on the real problem of a concerto.  Either way, I don't see the point of learning a concerto unless you have an orchestra that wants to play it with you.
I've played w  conductor and ensemble as well as small group and as collaborative piano w soloist, yes,  the main and most important challenge and part of prep is after notes and basics down, is putting it together w conductor a d the bigger group
Concerto is more difficult,  orders of magnitude since the challenges are different and unique to it vs the solo sonata, two different animals being co.lares

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert