Piano Forum logo
November 23, 2017, 09:34:07 AM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Gabriel Fauré’s Piano Music

Gabriel Fauré is considered one of the most influential and gifted French composers of the late romantic and early 20th century period. His early compositions, influenced by Chopin and his teacher Saint-Saënt, are of very romantic character while he later developed a more personal and harmonically complex musical style. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Autumn Leaves Jazz Piano Cover  (Read 77 times)
bb666
PS Silver Member

« on: November 10, 2017, 11:03:45 AM »

Hi All,
Check out my Jazz Piano cover of Autumn Leaves.
I've listed each of the chord voicings and techniques I'm using as I go through them.
Cheers Smiley
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
chopinlover01
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 04:57:48 AM »

Hey, fellow jazzer! It's been a while since another one of us has posted.

I see you're the guy who runs "walk that bass". Cool stuff, I enjoy watching from time to time.

Not bad, overall. Let's get into it.

Time: Overall, you're doing well, although your backing track is a bit dull. I know you're leaving out bass so that you can play the roots yourself, but having just hi-hat feels like you're playing to a slightly improved metronome instead of a virtual band behind you.

Your sense of swing is something I think could be worked on, too, because it  - and I definitely had this issue too - because it sounds extremely mechanical. That's okay for now, but try getting a bit more of a flow to your eighth note lines (overall, less actual swing between the eighths- instead of making it an obvious quarter-eighth triplet syncopation, squish them together more, if that makes sense). For this, I'd recommend listening to and transcribing some Wynton Kelly and/or Bud Powell, Tommy Flanagan, etc.

By the way, I love the fact that you put the bass solo in the middle; you have that imitation down pretty well haha

Harmony: Overall, also decent. But the quartal voicings that you're using here don't really work; going back to the backing track, consider adding in the bass and then learning some rootless voicings (Bill Evans has the famous ones everyone uses now) to flesh out the harmony a bit more. I like the McCoy Tyner voicings, but they're really better suited for tunes like Impressions, Milestones, etc

Overall, it's not bad! I definitely enjoyed listening to it.

Jazz Ambassador Cool
mjames
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 04:03:34 PM »

My only criticism is that your performance itself leaves a lot to be desired, it's very dry and it hardly sounds like a jazz performance. The composition/arrangement itself is pretty good, I enjoyed it.

Pianism is my religion, Bach is my God, and Chopin's my prophet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: