Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Trill technique  (Read 1673 times)

Offline arxhgos

• PS Silver Member
Trill technique
on: May 30, 2018, 04:13:03 PM
Hello everyone,

Lately I have a problem doing fast trills.
2-3 years ago I had not that problem. My best fingers was 2-3(right hand). But then suddenly I started having a problem doing trills with 2-3 so I changed fingers and started doing it with 1-3 or 2-4 and it was all fine. Now this year I have a problem making trills with this fingers too!
Now my best fingers is 3-4 and I can't do fast trills except if I use something like 2-3-1-3-2-3-1-3 etc or if it's for a very short period of time.
Some times when both hands have trills or when I have a fast melody on my left hand(so when I am not giving attention on my right hand) I am able to do fast trill with 1-3 but still not as clear and as easy I used to.

Anyone had the same problem before?
Any exercises that would help me with this?
My diploma is in a month and I can't do trills properly so I would like to try and fix this until then if it's possible.

Every bit of help would be appreciated,
Thanks you

Online brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Re: Trill technique
Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 06:34:02 PM
I'm just an amateur so take this with a grain of salt. Unless you have strange malady in your fingers it sounds like you are just psyching yourself out, maybe especially because your diploma is coming up. If that's true, you need to find a way to release the tension. You might try just giving a little lift with your upper arm and elbow and then dropping onto the trills - really a very small motion. Sometimes I find that an arm motion like that releases tension that has built up in my fingers. And for a long trill, see if just moving the elbow a little bit, say in a small, slow circle, doesn't help you release tension in your hand and fingers.

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 05:51:23 PM
Try this.

Assuming you are pedaling with the right foot, use your left foot to exert just a small amount of pressure downwards with your last two or three toes.  Do not do this with the big toe, that tends to add tension and may even change your hip angle a bit. 

This is more of a diagnostic procedure than a cure, but you may find the results interesting. 

PS this is not a troll, nor am I channeling LP. 
Tim

Offline dogperson

Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 05:57:31 PM
I am just an adult student, But I had a similar problem to what you’re having.   My teacher noted that I am keeping my thumb extended, unconsciously creating tension.   Now I am consciously tucking my thumb underneath my index finger.   This is a new exercise for me, but it seems to be helping 
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert