Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Where to find a concert grand piano to play?  (Read 3640 times)

Offline paxxx17

• PS Silver Member
Where to find a concert grand piano to play?
on: October 05, 2018, 08:10:43 PM
So, I'm not a professional pianist - after I've finished music high school, I've been just playing for my own enjoyment.

I've never played on a concert grand piano, like Steinway D-274, or Yamaha CFX, and it has always been my dream just to try playing on such a piano. Any ideas where I could find them (and of course, where they would let me try)?

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Where to find a concert grand piano to play?
Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 11:45:42 PM
piano stores
concert halls
universities /conservatory music facilities and recital halls

Offline indianajo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 11:42:08 PM
Takes wads of money.
A piano store, you have to look like you've worth $$$$$$.  Drive up in a Bentley or something, wear a suit unlike anything I own.  I've never talked any salesman into anything.  I'm age 68, doesn't help a thing. 
Concert halls, you have to book the hall.  Mid $$$$ in my small city.
Schools, you have to register as a student, and do most of your practice on a *****y upright in a tiny room.  As a graduation present they let you play the grand once in the big hall.  
Churches, I visit a couple that have a decent Steinway, another a nice fifties Baldwin.  There is no way I'm getting near their precious grand. They keep covers on them.   Even though one church with a Steinway has a weekly offering of $260. It's too far away for me to join.  
I'm attending one church now that has a fifties baby grand Howard.  It has no single note sustain middle pedal. I play that one, also tune it, since nobody else will.   Another church I do volunteer work at (pipe organ installation)  has a *****y Yamaha baby grand. I can play anytime I work volunteer.  It also lacks the single note sustain of a real grand.  The Yamaha sounds worse than my 39" Sohmer console.  Slower action too.  

Offline g_s_223

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 04:47:31 PM
Do a web search for "piano practice rooms <nearest-really-big-city>". If no joy, try "hire recording studio grand piano <similar>"

Offline nastassja

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 07:11:16 AM
Piano stores are the best, I think. I personally never had any issues trying the grands. Depending on how the salespeople like your playing, they might even invite you to try them out, if you are shy. I pretty much always wear jeans and t-shirts, so I disagree with the fact that you need to look like you are rich. However, I think you need to be a potential customer if you wish to return to the same store more than once in a while. Churches can allow you to play sometimes for a fee, sometimes for free if you agree to play during service. Monasteries too (even though they are pretty rare to find these days). I once had luck with museums but I did play a couple of concerts there so they already knew me. Some nursing homes have pianos too. Good luck!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert