Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Learning without a teacher for limited amount of time  (Read 1050 times)

Offline mozart_addict

• PS Silver Member
Around 6 months ago I started learning to play the piano again (I was taught for about 3 years in my childhood). At the moment I can play some Chopin Nocturne and Mazurka but thats mostly it.

I definetly want to get a teacher soon but due to quarantine (and some financial issues) it wont happen for the next couple months I think (and I dont want to take online lessons).

So for now, what can I learn on my own without a teacher thats hard to mess up?
I thought about learning the scales, arpeggios, chords and music theory and play some Etudes by Burgmuller / Heller, but Im not sure if that is efficient use of my time now.
All ideas are very much appreciated.

P.S. Im 20 years old and I can practice for around 4 hours every day (due to quarantine).

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Learning without a teacher for limited amount of time
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 10:52:38 PM
Hi, and welcome to Pianostreet!

Scales, chords and technical elements are a good idea.  Work on a key for a few days, then move on to another key for the next few days, and so on...

Listening to music is also practising.  Go explore for music new to you and expand your knowledge of repertoire.  Work on developing critical active listening. 

Look at the Bach 2 and 3 part inventions.  Some of the easier selections from WTC and the dance suites are likely within reach for you. 

Practice your sight reading.  It will also allow you to discover new repertoire.

Improvise music.  It is a skill that is incredibly valuable in developing your musical abilities.

You can do a lot with four hours of practice per day. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert