Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin nocturne question  (Read 1051 times)

Offline pianopuff

• PS Silver Member
Chopin nocturne question
on: November 06, 2020, 02:49:06 PM
Hi,
I have played only a few Chopin nocturnes (Op. 9 no 1 and 2, as well as the posthumous nocturnes and Op 37 no 1).
Many are lovely but a bit too hard for me. I looked on the Henle site for ratings and it was not terribly helpful as it rated most of them a 6. It rated, for example, Op. 9 no 1 and 2 the same as Op. 27 no 2, which in my mind is a LOT harder)….
Can anyone suggest which ones are on the 'easier' side of the scale? Which ones would make sense to approach next? I have seen that Op. 55 no 1 seems pretty doable but what about others?

Thanks

Online j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin nocturne question
Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 06:39:36 PM
Can anyone suggest which ones are on the 'easier' side of the scale? Which ones would make sense to approach next? I have seen that Op. 55 no 1 seems pretty doable but what about others?

Oh, as I was just looking up the Op. number for the F minor, I see it is the Op. 55 no. 1.

Yeah, you can play that:  the only real mechanical challenge is working the arpeggios at tempo towards the end, but it's not a very technical piece. 

I'm afraid I can't say about the other nocturnes of Chopin, as this was the only one I mastered a long time ago.  I still do recommend just grabbing the Dover reprint and reading through them, though:  there are a bunch of them and I don't recall any single nocturne featuring more than one tricky mechanical technique.

Agreed about the Henle "grading" levels:  I don't find their system (if what they have can be called systematic, regardless of the quality of their print editions) very helpful at all.
My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert