Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: What to do when two teachers's opinions on a piece contradict one another?  (Read 840 times)

Offline claireliii

• PS Silver Member
I have been working on k.282 with a really good piano teacher in my area. I also took some masterclass with a really prestigious pianist last week, but their opinion/interpretation on this piece greatly differs from one another. They offered completely different instructions in terms of timing, touch, and dynamics.  Who should I listen to?

Offline dogperson

I have had the same situation: excellent local teacher; occasional lessons with a concert pianist but with different opinions. At first, it felt confusing and hugely problematic.

So, I discussed the differences with my local teacher: she did not agree with some of the concert pianist’s interpretation, she did agree with some of it.  We discussed everything; she explained her position, and left it to me to decide on the points they did not agree.

I was empowered to make my own decision— recognizing that there will be differences of interpretation even with excellent pianists. Try listening to four-five outstanding pianists play the same  music. They will not be identical; and some will be widely divergent.  You will fit in the spectrum somewhere after you discuss it and YOU decide what is right for YOU.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert