Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Underrated Chopin Nocturnes?  (Read 2775 times)

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Underrated Chopin Nocturnes?
on: January 28, 2021, 10:40:10 PM
I would venture a guess that most people know and love the most famous nocturnes, such as Op. 9 no. 2 in E flat major (perhaps also Op. 9 no. 1 in b flat minor), the D flat major Nocturne O.p 27 no. 2, the c minor nocturne Op. 48 no. 1, the e minor nocturne Op. 72 no. 1, and the posthumous c sharp minor nocturne.

But what do you think are some underrated nocturnes that deserve more recognition and exposure?

I really love the E major Nocturne Op. 62 no. 2 (it has such a wonderful, pensive, beauty to it), both the f minor and E flat nocturnes Op. 55 (especially the E flat nocturne I think is a hidden gem), the c sharp minor nocturne Op. 27 no. 1, and the Nocturnes op. 15. I am not sure how underrated some of these are but I think they should be performed more often.

The Nocturnes I feel the least drawn to are the Nocturnes op 32 and op 37. Anyone who love these who could enlighten me to their merits?  ;)

Offline pianowhisper

• PS Silver Member
Re: Underrated Chopin Nocturnes?
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 05:13:29 PM
I particularly am very fond of the Nocturnes Op.9/3 in B major and Op.15/1 in F major for instance, along with the very famous Op.48/1 in C minor (probably my very favorite one).

As for the ones you referred to being the least drawn to...
Op. 32/1 is actually one I like a lot. In my opinion, there are a lot of elements of surprise with the way the theme is developed and the melody evolves, culminating with the shocking coda. This provides such an interesting "journey" every time I listen to it.
Besides, I have a soft spot for Op.37/2 in G major, personally because the first time I listened to it my mind was taken to very specific yet vague scenes of my past. It is a lot related to the B section I would say. It just spoke to me on a personal level; as I kept listening to it, this "magic" somewhat faded away but it still sparks fond memories to me.

I could probably pick many other "favorites" but the opus numbers are cloudy in my mind. I absolutely adore these pieces nevertheless. :)

Best,
pw

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 12:02:37 AM
Op.15/1 in F major

That one is fantastic, as is the second one. I really love both op 55 Nocturnes as well.

Adoring these pieces is certainly the right way to say it. The only one I don't really like is the posthumous one in c minor. I always thought it was a work from his youth, but apparently he was around 27 when he composed it?

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 11:21:02 PM
Op. 32/1 is actually one I like a lot. In my opinion, there are a lot of elements of surprise with the way the theme is developed and the melody evolves, culminating with the shocking coda. This provides such an interesting "journey" every time I listen to it.

I take back what I said a little bit, the Op. 32 no. 1 is indeed interesting with its sudden change of tone in the coda. It's the second one, in A flat, from that opus that I struggle the most connecting with.

Offline pianowhisper

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 10:28:11 AM
I'm happy to have shed some light on how Op.32/1 can be very powerful too. :) To me, its counterpart in A-flat major is maybe just as powerful, since it also presents so much contrast and unexpected themes. Then again, it all comes down to personal preference (I could personally agree with @lelle about the C minor Op.posth).

Best,
pw

Offline samdm93

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 10:50:42 PM
Definitely Op.15 No.1 in F major. The A section is so serene and simple, while the B section is very impassioned. For me, it just encapsulates everything that's so genius about Chopin's Nocturnes.

Offline zenyatt

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 03:59:17 PM
The op 55 no.2 nocturne is really amazing and really underrated in my op.

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: February 17, 2021, 09:06:24 PM
The op 55 no.2 nocturne is really amazing and really underrated in my op.

Yes, it's one of my favorites. Cortot does wonderful things with it:

Offline getsiegs

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 06:47:43 PM
I would specifically mention Op. 15 No. 2. The A section is sweet, simple, and serene, and I love the doppio movimento section with the 5-on-2 polyrhythms.

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 09:08:29 PM
Yes, I love the drama of the middle section in that one! Here Cortot would again be my first choice :)

Offline billym

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 06:33:19 AM
(New to Piano Street!) I am actually a huge fan of Opus 37 no 1 in G minor. For whatever reason none of my friends agree with me. But I love how somber and bittersweet this nocturne is, it's great to sit down and play after a bad day. The chorale section in E flat is relaxing. The picardy ending will often give me chills, as it is a more emotionally powerful ending than a minor one.  :)
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. It's solid advice tbh.

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: February 22, 2021, 05:19:11 PM
(New to Piano Street!) I am actually a huge fan of Opus 37 no 1 in G minor. For whatever reason none of my friends agree with me. But I love how somber and bittersweet this nocturne is, it's great to sit down and play after a bad day. The chorale section in E flat is relaxing. The picardy ending will often give me chills, as it is a more emotionally powerful ending than a minor one.  :)

I like the opening theme to that one. I used to havea CD with Rubinstein playing it when I was little. I just never remember how it goes after that. Maybe I should listen to it again with your perspective in mind :)

Offline musikalischer_wirbelwind_280

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 03:20:04 AM
I find all of these are just not played enough:

And definitely this one:

Offline transitional

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: June 26, 2023, 09:48:26 PM
op. 27 no. 1, as someone who doesn't care much for chopin the middle is a blow. It's so beautiful and fun to play.
Advanced pianist and beginner composer. The Schubert sonatas are amazing and I want to learn all of them eventually!

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: June 27, 2023, 10:17:37 AM
op. 27 no. 1, as someone who doesn't care much for chopin the middle is a blow. It's so beautiful and fun to play.

Great pick, I love that Nocturne. Great atmosphere and emotion in both the outer and middle sections.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert