Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: A good mobile phone for recording playing piano  (Read 771 times)

Offline acomposer

• PS Silver Member
A good mobile phone for recording playing piano
on: March 19, 2021, 12:21:50 PM
Hi,
I have been searching for a mobile phone, that would record my piano playing(only sound) with the best quality. I am an amateur composer(originally piano ex - student of a conservatory) and I would like to record my piano compositions to upload them on youtube. I have profesional recorders but the recordings are fussy with metalic sounds effects. The mobile phone I have been searching for, should cost  350 € at most. What should I buy?
Thanks a lot

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: A good mobile phone for recording playing piano
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 03:17:56 PM
Hi and welcome to Pianostreet.

I would recommend going with a portable recorder in your situation.  There are many to choose from.  A good place to start would be:
Zoom H4n
Tascam DR-40X
Roland R-09

Portable recorders, such as the ones above are designed for music recording and have very capable mics and preamps.  You probably won't find a phone in that price range that specifically does music recording well.  These portable recorders will far outlast a smart phone in terms of usage, so you will be spreading the cost of it over many years. 

As they are purpose built, these portable recorders are easy to operate.  Buttons for record, play and stop.  No need to open an app, no installing updates when you want to record.  After initial setup, it is generally as easy as insert SD card, turn it on, press record. 

No matter what recorder you get, gain levels need to be set correctly and the microphone needs to be placed in an appropriate location to capture the best sound.  If these things are not done, there is the potential for bad sounding recordings. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 03:54:10 PM
I second the advice from quantum. You might get an allright phone at 350 € but far from spectacular in the video nor audio department. What kind of proffessional recorders do you have right now?

Offline larrys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 10:03:29 PM
There is a camera app for Android phones (open camera) which has a setting allowing use of an external mike. If you can get hold of a mike with a phone USB connector it would improve the quality of your recording.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 10:16:21 PM
That's cool! What are some good external USB mikes?

Offline larrys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 10:25:06 PM
That's cool! What are some good external USB mikes?
I'm not sure of the brands or how widely available they are, but you can find one it will be a lot cheaper than buying a Zoom or similar device.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert