Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Exactly how difficult are Chopin Nocturnes?  (Read 2284 times)

Offline svetlio320

• PS Silver Member
Exactly how difficult are Chopin Nocturnes?
on: April 11, 2021, 08:20:35 PM
Hi, I've recently perfected the Nocturne op55 no1 and have been wondering how difficult are the Nocturnes Op48 no1, Op27 no1,no2 and whether after having completed this piece and Nocturne no20 (C# minor) I'm ready to take up any of these? Thanks a lot!

Offline stringoverstrung

• PS Silver Member
Re: Exactly how difficult are Chopin Nocturnes?
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 08:35:49 PM
Hello,

If I were you I would go for Op 27 no 1. Of course this is a completely personal opinion.

IMHO op. 48 no 1 is the most difficult one from your list. The required skill set is also vastly different from op 55. nr 1. Op 48 no 1 is not to be underestimated.

Op 27 nr 2 is more specific I would say. Hence my "proposal" which I repeat is purely a personal opinion but hey that`s what you asked  ;)

Offline svetlio320

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 08:44:27 PM
Feels like the op55 is way easier than all the options selected

Offline svetlio320

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 08:46:07 PM
Hello,

If I were you I would go for Op 27 no 1. Of course this is a completely personal opinion.

IMHO op. 48 no 1 is the most difficult one from your list. The required skill set is also vastly different from op 55. nr 1. Op 48 no 1 is not to be underestimated.

Op 27 nr 2 is more specific I would say. Hence my "proposal" which I repeat is purely a personal opinion but hey that`s what you asked  ;)

What about the Liebestraum no3? Is it truly as difficult as people make it out to be?

Offline stringoverstrung

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 09:12:34 PM
Hello,

a broad discussion on difficulty level is quite useless as this is personal like I mentioned. In fact either a piece is in your ability or it is not in a sense. Liebestraum is definitely more difficult to me personally than the nocturnes but again this another completely different skill set. If you start with Liszt you could go for Consolation no. 3, a bit in line with the Nocturne you played.

The pieces mentioned do at least require a supple wrist. If you are unsure check with a teacher.

Online lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 09:26:14 PM
The Liebestraum has got a passage in double notes which will be tricky if you want to play it in a reasonable tempo unless your technique is in order. The loud middle section will also be challenging if you are not comfortable with quick position shifts. Liebestraum definitely requires a more advanced technique than op 55 no. 1. Of the proposed alternatives I'd say op 27 no 2 is the easiest technically, but it's not easy and requires a supple wrist as stringoverstrung says.

Offline ranjit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 09:41:43 PM

What about the Liebestraum no3? Is it truly as difficult as people make it out to be?
Yes, the Liebestraum is hard. Both of the cadenzas are insane. The rest is fine if you can get a handle on playing the melody line with your thumbs. I learned about the first 40 seconds, and did not find it hard. It's the cadenzas (especially the second one) which are massive trolls.

Online lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 10:15:14 PM
Yes, the Liebestraum is hard. Both of the cadenzas are insane. The rest is fine if you can get a handle on playing the melody line with your thumbs. I learned about the first 40 seconds, and did not find it hard. It's the cadenzas (especially the second one) which are massive trolls.

That surprises me that you'd say that since I find the first one tricky and the second one rather straight forward. What do you find are th challenging aspects of the second one?

Offline svetlio320

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 12, 2021, 07:05:05 AM
Okay, I understand now that my question was not open enough. In your expertiese, after having played nocturnes for a while,which piece should be my next one? Maybe a Beethoven sonata? Maybe something from Debussy?  Tell me what you guys would do
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert