Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Playing two notes with thumb  (Read 1564 times)

Offline diegoyan

• PS Silver Member
Playing two notes with thumb
on: December 23, 2021, 07:52:18 PM
Hi everyone,
I've had this question for some time so I decided to give it a try here to see if I get some answers, since due to the pandemic I'm no longer taking clases.

Here it goes: there are many cases of R.H. chords starting with a semitone interval involving a white and a black key that don't seem playable with fingers 1 and 2.

Examples of this:
- SCRIABIN Etude #5 op 42: bar 24, we have G4#-A4-G5#
- RAVEL Alborada del gracioso: on the middle section of the piece we have A5-A#5-C#6-E6-A6
- RAVEL Ondine: bar 27, we have E5#-F5#-A#-E6#

That's what I remember, but there are so many other cases in music from these composers and also a lot from Liszt.

My approach was usually playing the chord with a fast arpeggio, but I have encountered cases where arpeggios do not sound right at all (my second example will be one of those)... so I started to experiment a little playing the keys of the lower semitone both with the thumb. When the white key is lower than the black, I put my thumb in a way I can play the white key with my thumb tip and the black with the fingerprint, almost pushing the black key from its side. This is not that hard (although it's very difficult to explain!).
The other case is a bit more troubling, and although I have some ideas, I've started to have second thoughts on this "technique", and so I decided to ask for help here.
Is this the right approach? do you have more info on this? does this even have a name?

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Re: Playing two notes with thumb
Reply #1 on: December 23, 2021, 10:36:02 PM
It's absolutely sensible to use the thumb to press two keys at once if it seems necessary or is the only option. If you have a larger hand, chords like A-A#-C#-A can be played with the 2nd finger on the A# as well.

Offline winsto7

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 02:59:59 AM
Definitely okay! Sometimes there are no other options, and honestly it's better to do this than leave out one of the notes.

Offline martin_kolm

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2022, 04:46:46 AM
That's very Chopin-like, but don't tell it to Czerny ;). No, seriously, you should play piano the way it feels natural. If using your thumb for two keys feels ok then just do it.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert