Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin's Barcarolle  (Read 713 times)

Offline thesixthsensemusic

• PS Silver Member
Chopin's Barcarolle
on: January 30, 2022, 12:32:58 AM
A while ago a friend of mine was trying out his new camera and mic combo and asked me wether he could record me at the piano. Played Chopin's Barcarolle with 0 preparation time and to my own surprise I actually liked the recording enough to post it. Curious to see what you people think.

Camera work: Erick van Rijswick (https://www.facebook.com/epicphotographynl/)

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin's Barcarolle
Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 01:06:01 AM
Is there anyway you can get a clean recording straight from the digital piano? Only because some mics (even the great ones) aren't great at capturing audio from a digital piano.

The performance is very good though, especially for zero rehearsal. Camera is nice and clean, however you could do that very easily with an iPhone and a tripod.

That video was recorded on an iPhone 8 (which I think is almost 6 years old now).

Offline thesixthsensemusic

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin's Barcarolle
Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 02:45:02 AM
Well, first of all, thanks for the kind words.

Secondly: I should have recorded it on the piano, but I didn't. Expected it to sound great, but a lot of the dynamics got lost due to the bad acoustics in there.

BTW: I practiced the hard passages from this piece so often that I can rely on muscle memory whenever I need to play them. You can actually see me sight-reading through a few of the technically easier parts because those are the ones I played least....

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert