Piano Forum

Topic: What Chopin pieces should I move on to?  (Read 908 times)

Offline kanacs

• PS Silver Member
What Chopin pieces should I move on to?
on: April 23, 2022, 01:16:30 PM
I have completed ATCL before, now I'm trying to get into harder Chopin pieces  :)

What pieces should I play in order to progress further into the harder ones like polonaises and ballades?

Offline bwl_13

• PS Silver Member
Re: What Chopin pieces should I move on to?
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2022, 05:29:41 PM
It would be helpful to say what Chopin you've already played
Second Year Undergrad:
Bach BWV 914
Beethoven Op. 58
Reger Op. 24 No. 5
Rachmaninoff Op. 39 No. 3 & No. 5

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 24, 2022, 03:17:35 AM
The polonaises with the exception of op. 22 aren't that difficult, I have no idea what an "ATCL" is but if you've got standard technique and experience you should be able to tackle pretty much all of them. The late polonaises are "musically" complex sure, but technically I think they're all pretty straight forward - it's putting up a convincing performance that's a pain in the ass.

The ballades are all difficult, but they're all still in the realms of approachability. So even if they're beyond your abilities you can still pick one and see how far you'll get; you might surprise yourself.

All I'm saying, Chopin isn't scarbo or Rachmaninoff's 3rd concerto, most of his piano works are pretty much all playable for the average pianist.

Offline f flat minor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 24, 2022, 06:43:05 AM
The polonaises with the exception of op. 22 aren't that difficult,
In my opinion the polonaise fantasie is harder than Op.22 for its coda.

Offline f flat minor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 24, 2022, 06:45:23 AM
You might want to start with the scherzi if you haven't played them, they're the easier pieces on the virtuosic side of Chopin. Then, maybe go for the harder polonaises and the easier ballades. And at last, try the harder ballades and the sonatas.

Offline flyusx

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 25, 2022, 12:33:13 AM
How about some of the more complex Nocturnes? Slower and less technically impressive than a Scherzo or a Polonaise or a Ballade, but can still be very difficult interpretatively. Op62No2 perhaps? Or Op55No2, which is the more obscure Eb Nocturne with quite the number of difficulties.
Currently Working On
Beethoven Sonate №7

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 25, 2022, 10:02:04 AM
The polonaise in C minor op 40 no 2 is not super hard. You should be able to find pieces that are manageable among the Preludes and Nocturnes as well.

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 25, 2022, 11:09:53 AM
In my opinion the polonaise fantasie is harder than Op.22 for its coda.

We're all different I guess. It took me like barely a week to learn and get the polonaise fantasie up to tempo, the coda was particularly pretty simple for me. Whereas with op. 22 I struggled with for almost an entire year I guess.

Offline f flat minor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 26, 2022, 12:26:24 PM
We're all different I guess. It took me like barely a week to learn and get the polonaise fantasie up to tempo, the coda was particularly pretty simple for me. Whereas with op. 22 I struggled with for almost an entire year I guess.

Agree
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert