Piano Forum

A Sudden Chat with Paul Lewis about Beethoven & Schubert
Substituting for the suddenly indisposed Janine Jensen, pianist Paul Lewis shares his ideas on his global Schubert project, classical repertoire focus and views on titans Beethoven vs. Schubert. Read more >>

Topic: Unpopular Opinion  (Read 1194 times)

Offline imnotapianist

• PS Silver Member
Unpopular Opinion
on: December 04, 2022, 03:05:39 AM
From my experience, playing Bach is harder than playing Liszt. The transcendental etudes are hard but thinking in 4-5 independent voices in his WTC is just impossible. I feel like practicing technique is easy but trying to figure out Bach is crazy.

Offline ranjit

• PS Silver Member
Re: Unpopular Opinion
Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022, 03:36:18 AM
From my experience, playing Bach is harder than playing Liszt. The transcendental etudes are hard but thinking in 4-5 independent voices in his WTC is just impossible. I feel like practicing technique is easy but trying to figure out Bach is crazy.
I feel that's a popular opinion. In my opinion Liszt etudes are harder, most people don't do them justice because they believe that mastering the technique is enough and feel that they're "showpieces" which don't merit the same attention to detail as a Bach fugue.

Offline cuberdrift

• PS Silver Member
Re: Unpopular Opinion
Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 01:40:36 AM
I feel that's a popular opinion. In my opinion Liszt etudes are harder, most people don't do them justice because they believe that mastering the technique is enough and feel that they're "showpieces" which don't merit the same attention to detail as a Bach fugue.

You're right. The transcendentals are not merely etudes for technique; they're etudes for the ability to tell stories through music.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert