Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Concerto suggestions?  (Read 604 times)

Offline stringbot

• PS Silver Member
Concerto suggestions?
on: December 16, 2022, 01:28:40 AM
I'm choosing a concerto for a piano competition in April. I cannot choose Mozart or Schumann or Rachmaninoff. I also already have the book for Chopin concerto no. 1 but maybe that is too hard and long for the limited time I have to prepare. One teacher suggested a Beethoven concerto or Mendelssohn. I am conflicted about my choices. Can someone give any suggestions? Thank you.

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Re: Concerto suggestions?
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 12:49:47 PM
Beethoven 3 is a great concerto and not the most difficult to play, but it depends on your skill level. Four months is quite short to thouroughly assimilate any concerto though. Does Beethoven 3 look like something that you could easily get on top of?

Offline stringbot

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 03:38:13 AM
Sorry I forgot to mention, I only need to learn the first movement or the 2nd & 3rd movements.

Offline droprenstein

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 08:25:36 AM
Beethoven 5 is nice, though a bit overplayed for competition.
Mendelssohn 1 is great, might be too hard/long for 4 months of preparation. How about the 2nd and 3rd movement? Does that look like something you could work with?

Offline romanticperiod

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 18, 2022, 08:41:56 PM
One of my favorite concertos is Beethoven’s 4th (the 3rd movement especially is just incredible), maybe you can take a look at that one. Also if you only have to do one movement and you’re starting at the end of December you could probably do Chopin 1.

Offline stringbot

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 19, 2022, 03:19:21 PM
My teacher now really wants me to play Mozart no. 27. It looks a lot easier but I'm kind of bummed that I don't get to play the Chopin. I am thinking about Beethoven too as someone else said the composer is suitable for me or possibly still playing the Chopin.

Offline robertus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 20, 2022, 01:26:32 PM
Liszt No. 1 is surprisingly easy- both to learn and to bring together with the orchestra or 2nd piano. It's fun to play, impressive, and great if you have a good sense of drama. 

Offline stringbot

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 02, 2023, 07:12:01 PM
Oh interesting. I’ll have a look at that.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert