Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Fingerings for 1 8ve vs. 2 8ves  (Read 1980 times)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Fingerings for 1 8ve vs. 2 8ves
on: June 04, 2005, 10:41:22 PM
Any thoughts on this?

You can take a pentatonic scale and use fingerings that repeat each octave, OR you can use a fingering that repeats every TWO octaves.

If you arpeggiate an extended chord, this can happen too.

What do you think?  Go with the fingering that is the same each octave, or use one that might fit better but repeats every two octaves?
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Re: Fingerings for 1 8ve vs. 2 8ves
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 01:32:47 AM
I don't quite understand this. Maybe you could write two different examples. One which uses the same and one which uses this different fingering which repeats every 2 octaves.

I would think that it is more logic to identify the pattern moving up or down, i.e: the starting and ending point of the group. So if you start that same group again, up an octave you go through the same fingering routine to play the notes. Of course one has to pay attention to what comes after you have finished the pattern, because the fingers comfortably have to be able to move into the new postion without disruption/hesitation. In that case you may have to alter the last group of notes so that the appropriate finger finishes the mvoement.

But something like: Cminor arpeggio going up 4 octaves in the RH you would simply use. 12(3or4) 123 123 1235 all the time. Trying to use more fingers and complicate things you are going to just make a mess of it and make it much harder than what it should be.

Similarly, if you have an F whole tone scale going up( F Gb Ab Bb C Db Eb etc. you probably would use
1234 123 1234 123 continually. Changing it seems ridiculous.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline tocca

• PS Silver Member
Re: Fingerings for 1 8ve vs. 2 8ves
Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 08:07:46 AM
I think Bob was asking about a Pentatonic scale, where you could either play:
123 123 123 123 for two octaves
or
1234 1234 1234 for the same.

I'd say it depends on the scale. If, and where, there are any black keys. I've never practised it so i don't know really, and i can't think of a piece either right now...

If it's only white keys, 123 123 and so on seems a little "cramped" in my view. 1234 1234 would flow better i think.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert