Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Can you grade difficulties of these pieces from easiest to hardest?  (Read 16122 times)

Offline redrum232

• PS Silver Member
   Chopin: Ballade no 1, Ballade no 2, Ballade no 3, Scherzo no 3, Scherzo no 2, Berceuse, Polonaise Heroique  , Beethoven: Waldstein movement 1, movement 3; Appasionata movement 1, movement 3. ??? ??? ???
I'm searching for next repertoire. I' m quite sure that the Berceuse is significantly easier than the rest, but i don't know the distance of difficulties between that one and the others( for example: ballade 2 or scherzo) if i learn both of them at the same time...

Offline nicco

• PS Silver Member
I put all this into the dvorph calculator and it gave me the relative answer 2,101 in relation to alphabetical order.
"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline invictious

• PS Silver Member
If you apply Einstein's Theory of Relativity, then apply it onto the Riemann Zeta Function, and put the output along with Euler's Identity, apply Baye's Theorem, they are all the same difficulty.
Bach - Partita No.2
Scriabin - Etude 8/12
Debussy - L'isle Joyeuse
Liszt - Un Sospiro

Goal:
Prokofiev - Toccata

>LISTEN<

Offline presto agitato

• PS Silver Member
If you apply Einstein's Theory of Relativity, then apply it onto the Riemann Zeta Function, and put the output along with Euler's Identity, apply Baye's Theorem, they are all the same difficulty.

LOL  ;D
The masterpiece tell the performer what to do, and not the performer telling the piece what it should be like, or the cocomposer what he ought to have composed.

--Alfred Brendel--

Offline qoppa

Offline pianowelsh

• PS Silver Member
Seriously everything is Hard until you make it easy!  Agreed mechanically the berceuse is easier than the other chopin pieces but the rest are all a very solid level (LRSM +) if that means anything to you Ballade 3 is a toughie interpretationally dont be lulled by the seeming accessibility of the notes. so many college students find this one elusive to their cost! The Ballade 2and scherzo 3 and pol heroic are technical warhorses..requiring a lot of agility and stamina. Ballade 1 and Scherzo 2 are pscycologically hard to handle above everything else because they are so often done there is inbuilt resistance on the part of teachers and hearers when they approach a performance of it. Waldstein is just DIfficult in terms of notes obviously but also musically - ive heard so many BAD virtuoso performances of this piece. There is so much more to this piece and believe me its hard to find (I put it on a back shelf).  Dont enter into any of these lightly, these are not the kind of pieces you can cram learn and get away with it.

Offline nango

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven: Appasionata 3<=Appasionata 1<=Waldstein 1
Chopin: Polonaise Heroique<ballade 1=Scherzo 2<=ballade 2<Scherzo 3<ballade 3

It's hard to compare the sheets of different composers since the emotions are totally different.

Chopin: Ballade no 1, Ballade no 2, Ballade no 3, Scherzo no 3, Scherzo no 2, Berceuse, Polonaise Heroique  , Beethoven: Waldstein movement 1, movement 3; Appasionata movement 1, movement 3. ??? ??? ???
I'm searching for next repertoire. I' m quite sure that the Berceuse is significantly easier than the rest, but i don't know the distance of difficulties between that one and the others( for example: ballade 2 or scherzo) if i learn both of them at the same time...

Offline lmpianist

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven: Appasionata 3<=Appasionata 1<=Waldstein 1
Chopin: Polonaise Heroique<ballade 1=Scherzo 2<=ballade 2<Scherzo 3<ballade 3

It's hard to compare the sheets of different composers since the emotions are totally different.

I agree with this (assuming left to right is hardest to easiest), and I'd put Waldstein 3 in between Appassionata 1 and Appassionata 3.  But every pianist is different.  It really depends on how well your technical abilities line up with the demands of each piece.

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member

I think you left out the surface integration and convolution with a Mandelbrot set.
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline i heart xenakis

• PS Silver Member

Berceuse, Waldstein 3, Appassionata 1, Waldstein 1, Appassionata 3, Polonaise Heroique, Scherzo 2, Scherzo 3, Ballade 3, Ballade 1, Ballade 2

But have you looked into Chopin's Scherzo No. 4 or Barcarolle?

Offline nango

• PS Silver Member
Berceuse, Waldstein 3, Appassionata 1, Waldstein 1, Appassionata 3, Polonaise Heroique, Scherzo 2, Scherzo 3, Ballade 3, Ballade 1, Ballade 2

But have you looked into Chopin's Scherzo No. 4 or Barcarolle?

Scherzo No. 4 in f minor is harder than above all, but barcarolle has another kind of difficulty.
I mean, it is not very hard for someone to "finish" barcarolle on a piano, but it is hard to play well and almost all accurately.

Besides, I don't agree your point that Polonaise Heroique is harder than all the Beethoven pieces above, and I think Waldstein 3 is harder than Waldstein 1.

Offline mikey6

• PS Silver Member
Why did my post get deleted?
Never look at the trombones. You'll only encourage them.
Richard Strauss
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert