Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Are there any books of Daniel Gottlob Turk's piano music?  (Read 6373 times)

Offline orlandopiano

• PS Silver Member
I've seen his smaller pieces in various early/intermediate books and I love them as teaching pieces. I was wondering if there are any collections of his smaller pieces and who publishes them.

Offline dan101

• PS Silver Member
Re: Are there any books of Daniel Gottlob Turk's piano music?
Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 02:30:40 AM
I also use this composer's repertoire as a teaching tool. Although I'm not aware of a collection of his works, you may find a quick search on www.sheetmusicplus.com helpful. Good luck.
Daniel E. Friedman, owner of www.musicmasterstudios.com[/url]
You CAN learn to play the piano and compose in a fun and effective way.

Offline crazy for ivan moravec

• PS Silver Member
Re: Are there any books of Daniel Gottlob Turk's piano music?
Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 04:39:45 PM
hi! sorry to bring up an old thread. but i was just trying to get ideas for a topic for my report in a performance practice class and found your question on Turk.

Turk will soon be revived to a greater extent. as of now, we only have 4 (or 6) sonatas of his that are in print. BUT a friend of mine who is taking his DMA here at Temple University in Philly is doing a monograph on his works for keyboard! how wonderful coz he found 40+ other sonatas which haven't been touched for decades. He found them at some library in Halle, and Italy, I believe.

So, we will have more pieces for kids. and on top of that, Turk did have more "virtuosic" pieces for the advanced as well. He has such wonderful music, i never imagined how this guy could be left unpublished for a long time.

Turk was a great teacher. He wrote a very extensive treatise on keyboard playing called the Clavierschule.  This treatise talks about keyboard playing like no other--- it sounds like a romantic approach to the keyboard (and Turk was an old-fashioned guy in the likes of CPE Bach, but in the time of Mozart and Haydn) Once my friend  finishes this monograph this semester, you should contact Temple University for a wonderful new discovery that the world hasn't seen much of. There were only a couple of people who did research on Turk before him, and it wasn't an extensive research work.

here is the website of my friend: https://michaeltsalka.com/
He has done lecture recitals on it already. And he is on his way to playng the whole collection of sonatas on a fortepiano. He is primarily a pianist. Hopefully, we will have Turk in our bookshelves very soon!

Well, keep going.<br />- Martha Argerich

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert