Piano Forum

The ABRSM 2025 & 2026 – Expanding the Musical Horizon
The highly anticipated biennial releases of the ABRSM’s new syllabus publications are a significant event in the world of piano education, regardless of whether one chooses to participate in or teach the graded exams. Read more >>

Topic: Easiest Chopin Etude'  (Read 3338 times)

Offline madsfr1234

• PS Silver Member
Easiest Chopin Etude'
on: January 30, 2008, 06:29:26 PM
I will just ask about what the easiest Chopin Etude is?

i'm at grade 6-7 at arbsm Level :D

From Mads :D

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Easiest Chopin Etude'
Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 06:44:44 PM
Easy is relative depending on what you are comfortable doing.

You could try 25/2 or Nouvelle in Ab (numbering is inconsistent with editions).

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline dnephi

Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 06:55:34 PM
I recommend Op. 10 No. 2.  How hard could it be?  It's just a few notes in the RH...

But seriously, Op. 25 No. 1 or Op. 25 No. 2 would be good choices.
For us musicians, the music of Beethoven is the pillar of fire and cloud of mist which guided the Israelites through the desert.  (Roughly quoted, Franz Liszt.)

Offline madsfr1234

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 07:05:49 PM
Thanks for the answers :D

Offline amelialw

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 07:51:43 PM
the 3 new Etudes, op.10 no.6 and op.25 no.1 & 2
J.S Bach Italian Concerto,Beethoven Sonata op.2 no.2,Mozart Sonatas K.330&333,Chopin Scherzo no.2,Etude op.10 no.12&Fantasie Impromptu

Offline rhapsody4

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 10:05:59 PM
Are Chopin etudes really beneficial to someone at grade 6-7 level?
I imagine that they would take so long to just being able to play the notes that I don't see how they could possibly either improve technique or able to sound good without bothering with other repertoire.
If, however, you do choose to learn one, then the 3 nouvelle etudes (as said by pretty much everyone else) are really the right place to start.

Good luck,
Rhapsody.
“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
FZ

Offline cygnusdei

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 10:29:58 PM
The Nouvelle etude no. 2 is not easy.

... apparently there is a numbering inconsistency in various editions. I meant the one in D flat.

Offline dan101

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 01:29:41 AM
You'll be out of luck in finding an etude at that grade level, although opus 25 no. 1 does lie easily under the hands. The slower opus 25, C# minor etude is not overly difficult, but has complex voicing issues.
Daniel E. Friedman, owner of www.musicmasterstudios.com[/url]
You CAN learn to play the piano and compose in a fun and effective way.

Offline hwangs

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 06:01:29 AM
The first etude I learned was Opus 10, No. 8. Maybe that wasn't the best choice. I think I was more comfortable with the next two etudes I learned which were Op. 25, 1 and 2.

Offline amelialw

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 07:35:38 AM
The first etude I learned was Opus 10, No. 8. Maybe that wasn't the best choice. I think I was more comfortable with the next two etudes I learned which were Op. 25, 1 and 2.

the 1st one I learnt was op.10 no.8, it is not the easiest one, rather somewhere in the middle. Anyway it was my 1st etude and I took 11 months to master it. The difficulty lies mainly in the middle section after it modulates to d minor. The R.H has to be very relaxed when this etude is played otherwise it will be tiring.

I know I learnt alot from it though as i'm learning op.10 no.4 now and it has made it easier for me.
J.S Bach Italian Concerto,Beethoven Sonata op.2 no.2,Mozart Sonatas K.330&333,Chopin Scherzo no.2,Etude op.10 no.12&Fantasie Impromptu

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 11:40:08 AM
I would not use the word easy to describe any of the etudes, you could start with op 10 no 3
in e major, its a very moving peice,musically very demanding and the technical difficulty can be overcome with practice if you are level 6 -8.
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 05:36:05 PM
I would not use the word easy to describe any of the etudes, you could start with op 10 no 3
in e major, its a very moving peice,musically very demanding and the technical difficulty can be overcome with practice if you are level 6 -8.

That was my first Chopet.  Although I don't necessarily recommend it as your first.  There are some tricky chordal passages alternating between groups of fingers. 

As Zheer says, none of the Etudes can really be thought of as easy.  You are almost guaranteed to find a challenge with which ever you pick.  But it is quite a worthwhile challenge to take up as the music is very rewarding to play.
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline madsfr1234

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 10:01:31 PM
Then what about a grade 6-7 nocturne?

:D

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 01:54:50 AM
9/1, 9/2, 15/2, E minor posth, C# minor posth

Have you tried out one of the Etudes yet?  how did you find the difficulty? 

Offline mike_lang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 02:39:52 AM
Why not begin with 25/1?  It really frees up the arms, the body, and initiates one into the physiological vocabulary of the composer.  I think it is the prerequisite to the other études and ought to be learnt first.  It is not a question of the easiest étude, but rather of the best one to learn first.  On the other hand, you might examine your repertoire and see which étude most benefits the pieces you are presently studying.  On the third hand  ;) , you might just see which interest you most, as you will eventually learn all of them anyway.

A side note, to the masses: I read today that Neuhaus advocated learning 10/2 and 25/6 simultaneously.  Interesting, isn't it?

Offline kriskicksass

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008, 03:50:26 PM
Learn one of the Nouvelle Etudes. Even though 25/1 is great to start with, it's too early.

A side note, to the masses: I read today that Neuhaus advocated learning 10/2 and 25/6 simultaneously.  Interesting, isn't it?

Why is that odd at all? They both use the same fingers (3, 4, and 5) in about the same context, but with slightly different motions. It's a great way to learn how to shake notes out of the upper half of your right hand.

Offline mike_lang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: February 03, 2008, 04:21:37 PM
Why is that odd at all?

I didn't say it was odd - I said that it was interesting.  Most people consider these two etudes to be the most difficult of their respective sets, and to be enough work in and of themselves.  Neuhaus' insight is a valuable one, revealing that they work together as a unique pair within the 24(27) etudes.  I mentioned it because it did not occur to me to study them simultaneously, but seems to be an ingenious idea.

Best,

ML

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: February 04, 2008, 02:34:11 PM
To my opinion, if youre grade is like 6/7, you shouldnt have the goal to 'play' a certain chopin etude. Instead, pick an chopin etude who deals with  your biggest technical flaw and start playing it slowly with the goal to improve your flaw.

Etudes like 10/2 is a hard etude, but is an excellent way of improving your right 3,4,5 finger techinique-flaw, even at grade 6/7. AS LONG AS YOU DONT RUSH ;)

gl, gyzzzmo
1+1=11

Offline violinist

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 07:48:25 AM
How about start at the beginning with 10/1 ?  That's what I'm doing :)
Practice!

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 08:43:09 PM
First one I learned to play anything like properly was 25/12.
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline gyzzzmo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 05:36:00 PM
I didn't say it was odd - I said that it was interesting.  Most people consider these two etudes to be the most difficult of their respective sets, and to be enough work in and of themselves.  Neuhaus' insight is a valuable one, revealing that they work together as a unique pair within the 24(27) etudes.  I mentioned it because it did not occur to me to study them simultaneously, but seems to be an ingenious idea.

Best,

ML

I dont think its a good idea training these at the same time. Because you train the same fingers in these etudes its too much stress for these fingers. Thats why i think that IF you want to do 2 at the same time, its better to do etudes with different goals. Like 10/2 and 10/12 for example.

gyzzzmo
1+1=11

Offline jepoy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: February 16, 2008, 10:00:52 AM
The first Chopin etude "officially" assigned by my teacher is 10/9 (F-minor). I've dabbled with the other more famous etudes (10/3, 10/12) but I'm not really ready for those yet. I can manage 10/9, just a little taxing on the left hand with the long stretches but I think I'd be able to pull it up to speed pretty soon. Good luck!

Offline mcgillcomposer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: February 17, 2008, 09:52:10 AM
Op. 25 No. 12 isn't very difficult either.
Asked if he had ever conducted any Stockhausen,Sir Thomas Beecham replied, "No, but I once trod in some."
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert