Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Seeking recordings: Frankl plays Chopin ballades and polonaises  (Read 4667 times)

Offline josh h

• PS Silver Member
Hi,

Can anyone suggest a place where I can purchase or acquire CD or mp3 (or other PC-based formats) recordings of Peter Frankl playing Chopin's ballades and polonaises?

I purchased these recordings about 20 years ago on cassette tapes.  Needless to say, I don't have a tape deck anymore (and even if I did, I listened to the tapes so often that they're damaged by now).

I rarely hear anyone talk about Frankl's performances of these works, but to me they are the best I've ever heard.  The piano he's playing has a beautiful warm tone with no tinniness.  His playing is brisk and contains the needed technique to execute these pieces, but is not rushed.  Perhaps most importantly, he plays the pieces "straight" - without over-exaggerated changes in tempo or dynamics - and lets the music in these masterpieces speak for itself.

I've searched iTunes and Amazon.  I've looked in record stores.  I've done google searches.  All with no results.

Any guidance or suggestions welcome.  Thoughts on these recordings are also welcome.

Thanks,
Josh

Offline josh h

• PS Silver Member
Re: Seeking recordings: Frankl plays Chopin ballades and polonaises
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 01:29:20 AM
Happily, I was able to find what I sought - via youtube!  Who knew?

Offline ch101

• PS Silver Member
Re: Seeking recordings: Frankl plays Chopin ballades and polonaises
Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 12:13:03 AM
horowitz for the polonaises
zimerman for the ballades
Pieces I am working on
Complete Chopin mazurkas
Pictures at an Exhibition
Beethoven Pathetique sonata
Schumann Papilions

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert