Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Post your recent music/piano investment-purchases  (Read 111477 times)

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: Post your recent music/piano investment-purchases
Reply #200 on: October 02, 2012, 12:46:21 AM
are you freakin' serious!?!?!? what the heck are these things? if i didn't know this to be true i'd be inclined to think you're making this up. wow. spelling it backwards too. wow.

My feelings exactly. Given that there is no cover page, no description, no reviews, no composer (except an impossible reference), no contents list and nothing else to indicate what these might even be, they either only published one copy or there are a lot of inquisitive people out there!
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #201 on: October 02, 2012, 12:50:55 AM
My feelings exactly. Given that there is no cover page, no description, no reviews, no composer (except an impossible reference), no contents list and nothing else to indicate what these might even be, they either only published one copy or there are a lot of inquisitive people out there!
or the joke's on us and they're by some modern uknown chap like Blake Tchaikovsky, or Morgan Tchaikovsky, or Raul Tchaikovsky....maybe his mom bought the whole lot....

people screw up composer listings (see my adventure with sheetmusicplus.com on the 'what are you listening to' thread where i was trying to find the barenreiter editions of the Milan Dvorak Jazz etudes only to find they have them by Antonin Dvorak, how humorously coincidental we each had issues with a set of etudes that should not exist, a modern set of jazz etudes composed after antonin's death, and these mystrerious tchaikovsky ones... ::) )

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #202 on: October 02, 2012, 12:59:11 AM
how humorously coincidental

Or, given it's Dvorak, perhaps how humouresquely coincidental.  ;D

Actually, if it was some other Tschaikovsky, I think google might have been more helpful. Unless he's the 5 year old nephew of the publisher.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline mahlermaniac

• PS Silver Member
Reply #203 on: October 03, 2012, 01:04:09 AM
Tickets for next spring to Miss Saigon, being performed by a nearby music academ. It's my favorite musical and I have never seen it performed. I can't wait.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #204 on: October 04, 2012, 06:42:54 PM

Had to go for Peters because Henle's selection is not that large. Now that I can compare, both are nice print quality and easy for my eyes, but the Henle editions are far superior in binding (Peters is rather poor with pages glued together too much in several places) and overall quality. Interesting editorial remarks in Peters about tempo, I might agree with them in the end, I also think these are often played unnecessarily fast...

I am going to try out another publisher (Ricordi) at some point because they have all of the sonatas, but these were pretty expensive so I guess I should learn to play a few of them before purchasing more  ;D

Offline davidjosepha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #205 on: October 04, 2012, 06:56:21 PM
super nice edition of the Poulenc Nocturnes, Heugel & Cie (French edition)

Ahhhh I've been wanting these but so expensive! Now that I'm a poor college student, I have to choose between music and eating. I keep making the wrong choice :(

Had to go for Peters because Henle's selection is not that large. Now that I can compare, both are nice print quality and easy for my eyes, but the Henle editions are far superior in binding (Peters is rather poor with pages glued together too much in several places) and overall quality. Interesting editorial remarks in Peters about tempo, I might agree with them in the end, I also think these are often played unnecessarily fast...

I really like the Edition Peters as far as print quality goes, actually.

As for my recent purchases...

I'm playing P&F in B minor from this one. Very beautiful pieces. I like them a lot.

Got it for the second sonata.

Holy schmole, have you guys listened to this piece? Do now if you have not already. I have no idea how difficult it is, but I guess I'll find out!

SMP has a sale on all Bärenheiter editions so I thought I'd check them out. The Scriabin is gonna be a couple weeks still, but the Janáček should be here before long. Damn, I'm excited. Not that I'll have time to work on any of these till winter break anyway...

Offline williampiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #206 on: October 04, 2012, 11:05:28 PM
I've been working to improve my cello skills lately, and decided to learn some Gershwin, so I just bought this 'Play Gershwin' book for cello.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #207 on: October 04, 2012, 11:36:49 PM
Holy schmole, have you guys listened to this piece? Do now if you have not already. I have no idea how difficult it is, but I guess I'll find out!

It's fine if you like Ab minor and have three hands. Otherwise.....

Offline davidjosepha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #208 on: October 05, 2012, 12:33:42 AM
It's fine if you like Ab minor and have three hands. Otherwise.....

Haha there definitely appear to be some quite difficult sections. As for Ab minor, that's more a problem of reading than playing. Once I've learned the notes, I kinda doubt the key adds significantly to the difficulty. There are a bunch of quick, large, and repeated jumps, however, so those could prove problematic. I'm buying it for the "motivation" category you talked about ;)

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #209 on: October 06, 2012, 04:52:27 PM
About to go buy a different version of Bach's WTC.

All of the pages of my Kalmus edition fell out. 
 >:( >:( >:(
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #210 on: October 06, 2012, 07:37:03 PM
piano tuition for fall 2012

Kirchner Study and Recreation: 25 Miscellaneous Pieces op. 30
Amadeus Verlag Ed.
https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Study-and-Recreation-25-Miscellaneous-Pieces-op-30/19498264
well not a purchase exactly, the library just got these so i think i was the first to check these out. im looking through them, i may scan the whole book for my personal study/archives, if i decide to perform them i'll just order via smp as i don't take one pieces that are in print as pdf/loose sheets unless it is the only way to get it (i.e. can't be purchased anywhere reasonably).

• PS Silver Member
Reply #211 on: October 07, 2012, 12:21:46 AM
Yup, just got Helene Verlag's edition of Bach's WTC book 1

Their editions are so good it actually makes you play better.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Reply #212 on: October 07, 2012, 01:29:40 AM

Got it for the second sonata.

I've used the Dover and Peters, but have not seen this one yet.  Do tell how you find it. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #213 on: October 08, 2012, 10:46:24 AM
50% there ( I don't want to say it's a full purchase as I am in the middle of completing the transaction but I have a lead on the title/product, an 'agreement' to buy and 'terms' i.e. price (including yen to dollar conversion, transaction fee, shipping, etc.). I will post a reply to this when the product actually hits my 'shores' and I am holding this thing in my hands! So this will be a longer entry so I can explain what it all has and is (as there are not too many 'single'sources describing this), and it is the single most expensive piano media purchase I have ( or will)  have made to date. I won't blab the actual final total but I'll say I could have purchased several very nice premium scores (i.e.  Henle, Schott, etc. albumbs) and still had money left over to spare...

So yes, after much searching (and some disapointing  attempts, frustrating dead ends, etc.), I was finally able to confirm and locate this (it seems it might be in productin again after being unavailable for some time), what's more amazing is that I was able to find a 'new' complete product vs a used/open (and often w missing media) one.

My understanding of this is that it's unique in that the music pretty much came first, that is, it's not a run of the mill soundtrack, but rather the music was composed first as  'program'music pretty much, then a world/story line and supporting media were produced to help tell the story.
Originally, Zektbach is Tomosuke Funaki's pseudonym for producing fantasy-themed music mixed with electronica. Parts of the story are in music videos, character art, and Drama CDs. The next Zektbach album will include an OVA.

The Epic of Zektbach Piano Collection (Premium Box Set)
-Hard Cover Score (78 Pages)
- Audio CD of recordings of the piano solos
- "Drama CD"
-  DVD
Disc One - Drama
01. PROLOGUE
02. CHAPTER I 「ルルドの大罪」
03. CHAPTER II 「LUXURIA」
04. CHAPTER III 「AVARITIA」
05. CHAPTER IV 「SUPERBIA」
06. CHAPTER V 「聖女と女王」
07. EPILOGUE

Disc Two - Piano Collection

01. Ark Ouroboros 永遠の方舟
02. fragment はじまりの欠片
03. Overture -Ristaccia- 序曲〜リスタチア〜
04. Aria re'Laria メインテーマ〜アリア・テ・ラリア〜
05. Shamshir Dance シャムシールの舞
06. Rufina 叡智永劫
07. ZETA 素数の世界と超越者
08. Holy Kingdom of Noigllado 傀儡の王国
09. Blind Justice それぞれの正義
10. The Abandoned Island 見捨てられた楽園
11. Apocalypse 罪狩りの聖女
12. Turii 〜Panta rhei〜 トゥーリと星の民
13. L'erisia(Primal Logic) 赤き天使
14. Nyoah's Sword Dance 華麗なるニョアの剣舞
15. village hidden in the mist アムリナの里
16. Masinowa 神国マシノワ
17. innocent wish マタンの想い

Disc Three - DVD
01. Shamshir Dance
02. Raison d'黎re 〜交差する運命〜
03. L'erisia(Primal Logic)

playlist (just a repaste of the 'what are you listening to' link i posted before in the other thread but this seemed like a good place for it to live)

really loving this one right now

Offline costicina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #214 on: October 08, 2012, 01:57:24 PM

I bet nobody of you forumeers (neither you, Enrique! ;)) knows this composer: born in Sardinia (!!!!) in 1883, studied music in Milan, then lived in London and in Paris where he met Ravel.
I couldn't resist the temptation to buy this score in a fly market this summer....

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #215 on: October 12, 2012, 03:52:30 PM
50% there ...
100%. officially a done deal (special order arrived at his japanese site, i paid for the product product, and he shipped!). now i just wait....

oh man so freakin excited.

works are composed by Tomosuke Funaki, "Zektbach" is the pseudonym he uses for his 'neoclassical' style influenced and compsoed works (he uses other pseudonyms for other types of music).
https://www.last.fm/music/Zektbach

Offline davidjosepha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #216 on: October 13, 2012, 03:18:05 PM

Just got this in the mail. Production quality is superb! Barenreiter has a new fan!

• PS Silver Member
Reply #217 on: October 13, 2012, 10:25:20 PM
I've used the Dover and Peters, but have not seen this one yet.  Do tell how you find it. 

Oh dear, I actually don't have his complete piano sonatas.

Am I going crazy?!?!?!!?!??!

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #218 on: October 13, 2012, 11:22:16 PM
Oh dear, I actually don't have his complete piano sonatas.

Am I going crazy?!?!?!!?!??!

Going?

;D

• PS Silver Member
Reply #219 on: October 14, 2012, 01:05:54 AM

Going?

;D

I think we all know the crazy person here is you.

You have to personalities and you're in denial.

And you think you're not a professional pianist!

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #220 on: October 14, 2012, 04:46:21 AM
Chopin preludes and etudes; Dover. I really like Dover, it does the job. I have been printing scores off imslp but I am seeing a couple of bars that I am not hearing in etude op 25 no 5. Am curious what the etudes look like in an actual book! :D 
"Beethoven wrote in three flats a lot. That's because he moved twice."

Offline evitaevita

• PS Silver Member
Reply #221 on: October 14, 2012, 11:44:23 AM
J.S.Bach - 371 Four-Part Chorals
Breitkopf's Edition
"I'm a free person; I feel terribly free. They could put me in chains and I still would be free because my thoughts would be mine - and that's all I want to have."
Arthur Rubinstein

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #222 on: October 14, 2012, 06:57:23 PM

a delightful album of modern pieces for children by Akira Yuyama, "Children's Land" pieces for small hands. Has an entry in Maurice Hinson's "Guide to the Pianist's Repertoire"
no pic but someone did a nice little job with the first of the 20 pieces on YT last year...

a better version, i included the one above since it has an image of the cover of the album.
this little chick played this so well!

got the matching/partner CD of the recordings of these pieces. they are absolutely delightful!

https://www.amazon.com/AKIRA-YUYAMA-PIANO-KYOKU-KODOMO/dp/B003800338/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1350240934&sr=8-7&keywords=akira+yuyama

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #223 on: October 14, 2012, 11:32:36 PM
Goldbrick Variation For Piano, Two Hands by P.D.Q. Bach

The Short-Tempered Clavier: Preludes And Fugues In All The Major And Minor Keys Except For The Really Hard Ones by P.D.Q. Bach 

;D

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #224 on: October 14, 2012, 11:55:07 PM
Goldbrick Variation For Piano, Two Hands by P.D.Q. Bach

The Short-Tempered Clavier: Preludes And Fugues In All The Major And Minor Keys Except For The Really Hard Ones by P.D.Q. Bach  

;D
the lesser(edit) KNOWN Bach....lol I absolutely love his stuff!

does your edition "cover" also have pi taken to 5 decimal places? it took me a while to actually make sense of that, i.e. i just saw that 3.14159 and didn't put it together that it was pi !

the tic tac toe and egyptian hieroglyphs  in the program and performers notes are some of the funniest things ive ever seen in music lol

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #225 on: October 14, 2012, 11:58:47 PM
the lesser Bach....

Lesser?  :o

He's my second favourite.

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #226 on: October 15, 2012, 12:02:21 AM
Lesser?  :o

He's my second favourite.
omg typo, i forgot "known" wow one word makes all the difference !i don't call him that out of not liking him, i read that somewhere in one of thedescriptions of pdq.

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #227 on: October 21, 2012, 10:38:51 PM

1. Scriabin Ten Sonatas for Piano MCA Piano Library edited by Harold Sheldon. All sonatas in a single volume. Vintage score, clean just some moderate wear to the binding on the outside, will repair/reinforce w tape.
https://books.google.com/books/about/Ten_sonatas_for_piano.html?id=zqkHAQAAMAAJ

2. Scriabin Fantasy in B minor Opus 28, International Music Company. New old stock.
https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Fantasy-in-B-minor-Opus-28/4293836

3. "Skryabin" Polonaise Opus 21, International Music Company
https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Polonaise-Opus-21/4293861?d=sem_ggl_Product_Extensions&origin=Product_Extensions&mkwid&keyword=&gclid=CMXVgbOSk7MCFU6mPAodgSAAMQ

4.  Debussy, Children's Corner. Complete, vintage Durand Edition

5. Prokofiev Four Pieces for Piano Op 4, vintage. MCA Music

https://www.bookdepository.co.uk/4-Pieces-Op-4-Prokofiev/9780793540143

6 and 7. M. Moussorgsky Compositions Band I - En Crimee (Notes de voyage), Meditation, Une Larme. Band II La Couturiere, En Crimee - Capriccio, Au Village (Posthume)
Publisher: Rob. Forberg
https://www.ricordi.de/rob-forberg-musikverlag.0.html?&L=1
https://search.lib.cam.ac.uk/?itemid=%7Ccambrdgedb%7C1077567

8. Stanley R. Avery, Concertino on Familar Tunes for Young Players, two pianos, four hands (includes themes; mvt I "A,B,C,D,E,F,G",  "All through the Night", "Closing Theme: London Bridge", mvt ii "Drink to Me Only with Thine Eyes", mvt III "Pop Goes the Weasel", "Three Blind Mice", themes 1 and 2 together).

such a cute and delightful little concertino!
Theodore Presser Co
https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Concertino-On-Familiar-Tunes/1897343

FIN.

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #228 on: October 21, 2012, 10:49:34 PM

1. Scriabin Ten Sonatas for Piano MCA Piano Library edited by Harold Sheldon. All sonatas in a single volume. Vintage score, clean just some moderate wear to the binding on the outside, will repair/reinforce w tape.
https://books.google.com/books/about/Ten_sonatas_for_piano.html?id=zqkHAQAAMAAJ

2. Scriabin Fantasy in B minor Opus 28, International Music Company. New old stock.
https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Fantasy-in-B-minor-Opus-28/4293836

3. "Skryabin" Polonaise Opus 21, International Music Company
https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Polonaise-Opus-21/4293861?d=sem_ggl_Product_Extensions&origin=Product_Extensions&mkwid&keyword=&gclid=CMXVgbOSk7MCFU6mPAodgSAAMQ

4.  Debussy, Children's Corner. Complete, vintage Durand Edition

5. Prokofiev Four Pieces for Piano Op 4, vintage. MCA Music

https://www.bookdepository.co.uk/4-Pieces-Op-4-Prokofiev/9780793540143

6 and 7. M. Moussorgsky Compositions Band I - En Crimee (Notes de voyage), Meditation, Une Larme. Band II La Couturiere, En Crimee - Capriccio, Au Village (Posthume)
Publisher: Rob. Forberg
https://www.ricordi.de/rob-forberg-musikverlag.0.html?&L=1

8. Stanley R. Avery, Concertino on Familar Tunes for Young Players, two pianos, four hands (includes themes; mvt I "A,B,C,D,E,F,G",  "All through the Night", "Closing Theme: London Bridge", mvt ii "Drink to Me Only with Thine Eyes", mvt III "Pop Goes the Weasel", "Three Blind Mice", themes 1 and 2 together).

such a cute and delightful little concertino!
Theodore Presser Co
https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Concertino-On-Familiar-Tunes/1897343

FIN.

Where did you get the vintage scores?

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #229 on: October 21, 2012, 11:51:35 PM

Where did you get the vintage scores?

i hit up used  books stores, 2nd hand/resale and consignment shops, estate sales and garage sales, antique malls (especially those that have lots of 'kioks' and different sellers). ebay is also a very good place to find vintage scores. probably the 'best selection' as you can pool sellers from all over the world into a single search.

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #230 on: October 22, 2012, 01:19:23 AM
Interesting! I go to estate sales and antique shops as well. This weekend was a total miss though. :/

• PS Silver Member
Reply #231 on: October 22, 2012, 01:29:37 AM
Outin is gonna give me an hour with Valentina Lisitsa in exchange for my hands.
 ::) ::) ::) :-* :-* :-*

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #232 on: October 22, 2012, 03:58:21 AM
Outin is gonna give me an hour with Valentina Lisitsa in exchange for my hands.
 ::) ::) ::) :-* :-* :-*

That was HALF an hour!
BTW, make sure you use a reputable courier service, wouldn't want to receive them after a few weeks in the mail...

Offline mikeowski

• PS Silver Member
Reply #233 on: October 25, 2012, 10:37:25 PM
Bought a huge load of sheets today, some of which I might even play one day!

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #234 on: October 27, 2012, 11:41:30 PM
PDQ Bach- Goldbrick Variations

P.D.Q. Bach's works were unearthed by Professor Peter Schickele, for some reason or another. This group of variations actually precede the theme that they are the variations of. And that's not the only thing that proved P.D.Q. Bach was ahead of his time; his archive notes recommend ending the piece with an arpeggio over the full length of the keyboard "as cocktail lounge pianists will someday do".

I. Allegro boffo
II. Lento pathetico
III. Presto changio
IV. Theme - Lento notso pathetico

(the remarks throughout the score including the forward/perfomance notes as usual are bust out laughing lol funny)

*plus some other misc may post about later on this was the coolest of the bunch/most worthy of note :)

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #235 on: October 28, 2012, 01:21:01 AM
PDQ Bach- Goldbrick Variations

Copycat.  :P

;D

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #236 on: October 28, 2012, 01:43:43 AM
Copycat.  :P

;D
that's why this thread is so great!

btw for anyone else interested, gives their humorous description and a catalogue of his works

https://www.presser.com/marketing/spotlite/pdqbach/pdq.htm

on a side note my Epic of Zektbach Piano Collections came in from Japan today but I was not home. I will pick it up Monday and post an update to that entry. So glad this long ordeal is almost finally over! I want my scores already....

speaking of ordeals. @ j_menz, any word on the Tchaikovsky Etudes!?

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #237 on: October 28, 2012, 02:21:11 AM
hard to find vintage score
Concert Transcriptions of Three Stephen Foster Melodies for Piano by Elinor Remick Warren

super cool. I have not found audio to sample from the other two but did find the CD that has the remaining works

this is from the third piece, the 'famous' De Camptown Races.  Strongly being considered for spring repertoire assignments...(adds it to the growing stack of scores/sheets and audio to review over Christmas.... :o)

edit-bought the audio
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GGL82G/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00007E1KO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=05JRQEB4B9SHTSK1DBTN

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #238 on: October 28, 2012, 04:17:15 AM
speaking of ordeals. @ j_menz, any word on the Tchaikovsky Etudes!?

Nope. Still waiting to be shipped.

I did find that Boris Tschaikovsky wrote three piano etudes. Maybe it's them? They're not Concert Etudes, though.

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #239 on: October 28, 2012, 10:50:04 AM
hard to find vintage score
Concert Transcriptions of Three Stephen Foster Melodies for Piano by Elinor Remick Warren

super cool. I have not found audio to sample from the other two but did find the CD that has the remaining works

this is from the third piece, the 'famous' De Camptown Races.  Strongly being considered for spring repertoire assignments...(adds it to the growing stack of scores/sheets and audio to review over Christmas.... :o)

edit-bought the audio
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GGL82G/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00007E1KO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=05JRQEB4B9SHTSK1DBTN
i have uploaded sample/demos (for demonstronation/educational/personal and non commerical use only) of the other two\

*downloads are disabled for obvious reasons those interested in these or other single tracks from the album are encouraged to purchase them via the single mp3 buy option on rhapsody.com

https://soundcloud.com/scriabinoff/2-beautiful-dreams

https://soundcloud.com/scriabinoff/1-jeanie-with-the-light-brown

PS
Nope. Still waiting to be shipped.

I did find that Boris Tschaikovsky wrote three piano etudes. Maybe it's them? They're not Concert Etudes, though.

that seems very likely and could still be super cool. i really like his piano sonata no 1 i posted a video of it from yt on the 20th and 21st century piano sonata thread in the reperoire board. hmm, color me even more intrigued...

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #240 on: October 29, 2012, 10:47:10 PM

So yes, after much searching (and some disapointing  attempts, frustrating dead ends, etc.), I was finally able to confirm and locate this (it seems it might be in productin again after being unavailable for some time), what's more amazing is that I was able to find a 'new' complete product vs a used/open (and often w missing media) one.

My understanding of this is that it's unique in that the music pretty much came first, that is, it's not a run of the mill soundtrack, but rather the music was composed first as  'program'music pretty much, then a world/story line and supporting media were produced to help tell the story.
Originally, Zektbach is Tomosuke Funaki's pseudonym for producing fantasy-themed music mixed with electronica. Parts of the story are in music videos, character art, and Drama CDs. The next Zektbach album will include an OVA.

The Epic of Zektbach Piano Collection (Premium Box Set)
-Hard Cover Score (78 Pages)
- Audio CD of recordings of the piano solos
- "Drama CD"
-  DVD
Disc One - Drama
01. PROLOGUE
02. CHAPTER I 「ルルドの大罪」
03. CHAPTER II 「LUXURIA」
04. CHAPTER III 「AVARITIA」
05. CHAPTER IV 「SUPERBIA」
06. CHAPTER V 「聖女と女王」
07. EPILOGUE

Disc Two - Piano Collection

01. Ark Ouroboros 永遠の方舟
02. fragment はじまりの欠片
03. Overture -Ristaccia- 序曲〜リスタチア〜
04. Aria re'Laria メインテーマ〜アリア・テ・ラリア〜
05. Shamshir Dance シャムシールの舞
06. Rufina 叡智永劫
07. ZETA 素数の世界と超越者
08. Holy Kingdom of Noigllado 傀儡の王国
09. Blind Justice それぞれの正義
10. The Abandoned Island 見捨てられた楽園
11. Apocalypse 罪狩りの聖女
12. Turii 〜Panta rhei〜 トゥーリと星の民
13. L'erisia(Primal Logic) 赤き天使
14. Nyoah's Sword Dance 華麗なるニョアの剣舞
15. village hidden in the mist アムリナの里
16. Masinowa 神国マシノワ
17. innocent wish マタンの想い

Disc Three - DVD
01. Shamshir Dance
02. Raison d'黎re 〜交差する運命〜
03. L'erisia(Primal Logic)

playlist (just a repaste of the 'what are you listening to' link i posted before in the other thread but this seemed like a good place for it to live)

really loving this one right now

this is finally in my hands! i am so unbelievably happy, this is one of the nicest scores and accompanying box sets i have ever purchased.

the book is beautiful nice heavy hard cover. the illustrations in side before the scores begin are so pretty and the pages are incredibly well sewn/bound.  the pages use a super thick low gloss paper (almost card stock) and the typeset is super clear and the score is very well laid out, page turns make sense .   this was all obviously done with a 'collector' in mind not just the pianist that would use it.  the audio CD is true to the score and gives very good audio examples of the pieces by several very good pianists. the Drama CD is a little lost on me as I do not speak Japanese so I cannot appreciate the narration of the tale these pieces tell. the DVD is awesome and includes beutiful illustrated 'music videos' of three of the pieces.

all in all I was super happy with the product, it's packaging and contents. a little steep on price but considering it its so incredibly difficult to find (again i only for a while saw an old listing of just a used copy of the score book and it was close to 180.00 US dollars for that, and it was sold out with no more stock expected from that seller).  also included was a beautiful little art book and diary that is tied to the story the music tells (again these pieces from my understanding of the composer and this project was that the works were composed first with a program in mind then the world was created and stories and narratives and other media were started to support the telling of it).  this came straight from Japan to me. Shipping was reasonable for the size box and the registration of the parcel and customs.

now i just need to see how I am going to balance beginning work on these pieces with all my other stuff due next year....

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #241 on: November 11, 2012, 02:11:41 PM
got the audio that just hit last week. now waiting for the scores to be published!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/piano-collections-final-fantasy/id572840001

really like what casy ormond did with these. he's continues to evolve and mature as a composer and arranger and his piano pieces are becoming more comples with interesting textures and lines and sophisticated harmonies. good stuff here. yep. this is a breath of fresh aire for these collections are casey and hitoshi sakimoto are unrepresented anywhere else in the franchise, so to have a unique compositional and piano style has  been lots of fun to listen to. gave the album two full listens back to back yesterday.

Offline perprocrastinate

• PS Silver Member
Reply #242 on: November 12, 2012, 09:45:13 PM
Alkan biography. I was considering buying a few biographies by different authors on this composer, but they're all so damn expensive! So I decided to try Ronald Smith's.

Offline davidjosepha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #243 on: November 13, 2012, 06:17:41 PM

Poulenc Nocturnes, got them for my birthday last Wednesday. Have yet to play through any of them though.

Also, if anyone's interested, my piano teacher is letting me play the Janacek sonata I bought next term. I'm starting it over winter break (in a week) and am quite excited, to say the least. Expect me to be more active over break, too, hopefully.

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #244 on: November 13, 2012, 08:18:23 PM

Poulenc Nocturnes, got them for my birthday last Wednesday. Have yet to play through any of them though.

copycat. 

jk ;D

great buy, if you don't have the physical score in hand yet, be ready to be pleasantly surprised by it's quality. nice feel to it. was very pleased with these. cannot wait to get into at least one of them sometime 2013.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #245 on: November 19, 2012, 12:02:29 PM

I am in no way ready to play these, but just wanted to have them ready for the future  ;D
The print and paper quality is a bit disappointing compared to my other Peters book though.

These just were must haves:

Offline davidjosepha

• PS Silver Member
Reply #246 on: November 19, 2012, 07:43:29 PM
Nice buys, outin.

I bought the following last night as an end of term treat (I come up with the lamest excuses to buy music)

Shostakovich Preludes & Fugues, DSCH

A bit pricey, and the binding supposedly sucks, but there aren't too many options and I really wanted them. If you're not familiar with them, listen to this, then promptly go purchase your own copy.

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #247 on: November 19, 2012, 09:20:49 PM

only contains the first mephisto valse, works I never heard of, and my fav. Valse Impromptu!

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #248 on: November 20, 2012, 03:22:31 AM
Shostakovich:
24 Preludes Op.34
24 Preludes and Fugues Op.87  (I have lost mine! Gaah!)
Polka from the Ballet The Golden Age Op.22

Alkan:
Super Flumina Babylons Paraphrase du Psaume 137 Op.52

Tausig
Arr - Bach Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (Clearly, I am mad)
2 Concert Etudes Op.1

Liszt
Collection of late period piano works (I have the Liszt Society collection but this is bigger! It's also Schirmer  :-\ )

Ravel
Valses nobles et sentimentales

Poulenc
15 Improvisations Pour Le Piano
Nocturnes
Suite for Piano
5 Impromptus for Piano

Reger
10 Little Pieces Op.44
Variations and Fugue on a theme by JS Bach Op.81

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #249 on: November 20, 2012, 05:01:42 AM
Shostakovich:
24 Preludes Op.34
24 Preludes and Fugues Op.87  (I have lost mine! Gaah!)
Polka from the Ballet The Golden Age Op.22

Alkan:
Super Flumina Babylons Paraphrase du Psaume 137 Op.52

Tausig
Arr - Bach Toccata and Fugue in D Minor (Clearly, I am mad)
2 Concert Etudes Op.1

Liszt
Collection of late period piano works (I have the Liszt Society collection but this is bigger! It's also Schirmer  :-\ )

Ravel
Valses nobles et sentimentales

Poulenc
15 Improvisations Pour Le Piano
Nocturnes
Suite for Piano
5 Impromptus for Piano

Reger
10 Little Pieces Op.44
Variations and Fugue on a theme by JS Bach Op.81

where did you find the ravel? what publisher is it by? :)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert