Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Performing a piece thatīs upper limit of your abilities on concert/masterclass?  (Read 2012 times)

Offline juliaalessandra

Hi everyone,

I am new here and am from Austria, so please donīt look too close at my language/writing. Thanks. ;)
I am a 24 year old Medicine student who is a passionate pianist in her freetime.
Itīs difficult to state how long I have been playing. I have begun at age 9 and got lessons until age 19, BUT whereas I was very motivated during the first 3-4 years, I had a 3 year long break due to puberty and there were phases were I used to not practice at all. ;)
So I think of it as maybe 4-5 years of effective lessons.

Then, at age 21, I felt the desire to continue more seriously. Ever since, piano has been my passion and first priority when it comes to free time. I also have other activities and responsilities so I am only able to practice 1-2 hours a day, but I do this regularly and have made a lot of progress in the last 2-3 years! I went to two masterclasses and played at two concerts. But my last pieces were rather "easy":

- Schubert Impromptu Op 90 No 3
- Liszt Consolations
- Chopin Nocturnes....

I played them because I know you shouldnīt risk anything at a concert and make sure you can handle the pieces even under difficult circumstances. Now I have a very good teacher who is actually a great pianist herself and she wants me to improve technically. So now I play:

- Chopin etude Op 25 12
- Beethoven 32 variations
- Bach Partita 2

And I am so happy with seeing myself making progress!! BUT: Now I have a masterclass and a concert coming up in April. And my teacher suggested to play Schubert and the Ocean etude!
I can play the etude decently at a slow tempo, but am still far away from the goal.
Do you think it is possible to reach within 4 weeks? She said it is if I practice at least 2 hours a day which I am willing to do!
But nevertheless...even if I am ready in 4 weeks...isnīt it a bit risky to perform such a piece which is at my upper limit in public? I mean I will be very nervous. She said that the etude would normally be played too fast and that it didnīt matter if I played it a bit slower, but clean and musically.

Opinions? Thank you! :)

Regards!
English is not my mother tongue so please be lenient. Thank you. :)

Currently studying:
- Chopin Op 25 No 12
- Beethoven 32 variations WoO 80
- Bach Partita No. 2

Offline ianzilla

• PS Silver Member
omg I love Austria,  I just went there like 2 months ago.  Especially the Meribel Gardens in Salzburg.  Its so full of classical music I love it! Sorry, off topic, but you are damn lucky to be in Austria studying classical music :D

also, I love the ocean etude, I don't think its that risky of a piece in public if you have the technique down.  I think you should practice performing in public and decide from there

Offline kawai_cs

Welcome to the forum!
The best thing would be just to listen to your teacher. She is right about this etude sounding beautiful even if played slower but musically. Work hard on it so that you can play it to your best when the time comes, be it slower or faster :)
There are also some threads here where people gave excellent advice about preparing for performance and dealing with performance anxiety.
Viel Glück für Deine Auftritte!
Chopin, 10-8 | Chopin, 25-12 | Haydn, HOB XVI:20

Offline distantfieldrelative

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GGAnCaIAdYE

I cannot find only the no12 alone so you may have to skip the winter wind etude.

But yes. I am sure than you will be able to perform the etude very well and accurately; without playing it in 2 minutes.
Sometimes I can only groan and suffer and pour out my despair at the piano.

Offline juliaalessandra

Hi guys,

thank you very much for the helpful and encouraging replies!! I like this forum and guess Iīll stay.  :)

@distantfieldrelative: Great performance you have linked, thank you for that! I definitely prefer it over Lisitsaīs.

@kawai_cs: You are a German member or something? Ok I think Iīll search for these topic, thank you!

@Ianzilla: Yes Austria is pretty great. Actually I am from Germany but I live there during some months because my whole family loves it and we are passionate skiers... ;)

Currently studying:
- Chopin Op 25 No 12
- Bach Partita No. 2

Offline jimroof

And I am so happy with seeing myself making progress!! BUT: Now I have a masterclass and a concert coming up in April. And my teacher suggested to play Schubert and the Ocean etude!
I can play the etude decently at a slow tempo, but am still far away from the goal.

Regards!

My opinion has more to do with my experience at master classes an little to do with your personal journey. 

Master classes are usually attended by students AND teachers who want to pick the brains of the highly skilled and gifted musicians who conduct them.  People want insights into the music and, at times, insights into the more refined technical issues that performers face.  Taking a piece that is not already at performance level is likely to degrade the master class, as the master who is conducting it will not be able to add these 'finishing touches' on a piece that is not really that close to being finished.  I look at the master class experience as being just that, the finest polish that really takes a piece beyond typical and into rarefied air. 

Speaking for myself, I would never want to play anything that is still in the process of being sorted out in the basic learning process.   It's like trying to skip a step or two in the process of polishing a gem. 
Chopin Ballades
Chopin Scherzos 2 and 3
Mephisto Waltz 1
Beethoven Piano Concerto 3
Schumann Concerto Am
Ginastera Piano Sonata
L'isle Joyeuse
Feux d'Artifice
Prokofiev Sonata Dm

Offline juliaalessandra

My opinion has more to do with my experience at master classes an little to do with your personal journey. 

Master classes are usually attended by students AND teachers who want to pick the brains of the highly skilled and gifted musicians who conduct them.  People want insights into the music and, at times, insights into the more refined technical issues that performers face.  Taking a piece that is not already at performance level is likely to degrade the master class, as the master who is conducting it will not be able to add these 'finishing touches' on a piece that is not really that close to being finished.  I look at the master class experience as being just that, the finest polish that really takes a piece beyond typical and into rarefied air. 

Speaking for myself, I would never want to play anything that is still in the process of being sorted out in the basic learning process.   It's like trying to skip a step or two in the process of polishing a gem. 

Thanks. Well this is why I asked. I know all that. Thatīs why I brought a Schubert Impromptu with me last time I attended a masterclass...but do you consider the piece "not ready" or "basic" if I am able to play it musically and clean, but a bit under the "normal" speed?

Currently studying:
- Chopin Op 25 No 12
- Bach Partita No. 2
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert