Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: How to get good at sightreading ONCE AND FOR ALL  (Read 2295 times)

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
How to get good at sightreading ONCE AND FOR ALL
on: May 05, 2017, 08:16:39 AM
So I know this dude who met this other dude who was able to sightread everything you put in front of him.  So he told him that all he did was sightread through all 555 Scarlatti sonatas to get good.

Now as you all may know I kinda suck at sightreading.  I mean I'm better than I was before I entered college at least.  So I'm not THAT bad.  But it's weird I'm not very good at reading super thin textured stuff, I prefer flats over sharps, etc...  I'm graduating next week and I'm gonna start teaching over the summer (two guaranteed students so far :)), and maybe apply for church, wedding, and hotel gigs so I'm like that seems like kind of a good idea. 

If I do two a day and take the weekends off that'll be less than a year right?

So anyways I'm gonna start tomorrow or within the next few days and post my progress.
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline toughbo

• PS Silver Member
Re: How to get good at sightreading ONCE AND FOR ALL
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 12:54:03 PM
Great, maybe record it as well, so we/you can hear the progress and problem points.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 03:11:58 PM
So he told him that all he did was sightread through all 555 Scarlatti sonatas to get good.

Everyone should do that anyway, great stuff!

Offline erry

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 06:15:29 PM
How did it work out?

Offline suoyung

Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 06:23:53 AM
Wow, that is interesting! But I don't think it will give much, if you just sit and try to read (as I did...) I have read, I guess, at least 100 of it, just for fun, not trying to find patterns how to read easier, and it didn't help that much :/ I mean I am not bad at sight-reading, I can still do it better than others in my group, but I can't read, for example the same Scarlatti perfectly.
... le plaisir delicieux et toujours noevau d\'une occupation inutile...

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 12:15:31 PM
So I know this dude who met this other dude who was able to sightread everything you put in front of him.  So he told him that all he did was sightread through all 555 Scarlatti sonatas to get good.

That will make you really good at sightreading Scarlatti.

You will make almost no improvement sightreading other genres.

And when you see a syncopated jazz rhythm you will crash and burn.

Sightreading is far more specific to the type of patterns inherent to styles of music than you realize.  There is no shortcut to getting good at them all. 

But any one style of music has a shared set of patterns.  SATB hymns are harder than they look, until you get good at them. 
Tim
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert