Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Mei-Ting Sun  (Read 16791 times)

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mei-Ting Sun
Reply #150 on: April 11, 2005, 09:12:11 PM
Thank you Gregory. Opinion noted.

mt

geez, I am even surprised you read this thread. It is full of jealousy and maliciousness.

Offline musik_man

• PS Silver Member
Reply #151 on: April 11, 2005, 09:28:05 PM
This thread is sad.  It's one thing to say that you don't like Mei-Ting's recordings, or that you think they're too fast.  To call them crap is pure arrogance.

I feel sorry for Mei-ting.  A pianist of his skill shouldn't have this kind of assaults on his playing.  Maybe if you guys were listening to my recordings, this stuff would be acceptable (though if they were my recordings there wouldn't be anyone arguing with the accusations of crappiness :P)

BTW I love your recording of the Wagner/Liszt Tannhauser.  That piece is my ultra-long term (ie before I die) goal.
/)_/)
(^.^)
((__))o

Offline tds

• PS Silver Member
Reply #152 on: April 12, 2005, 07:00:14 PM
artists, musicians so sensitive
great talents vunerable
wait till insult will cease
already in a battle

please be kind. best, tds
dignity, love and joy.

Offline Siberian Husky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #153 on: April 12, 2005, 08:14:35 PM
I used this sentence before, but i think i will use it again.

Ignorance is bliss, congratulate on being the happiest person on earth.

I recommend u to join this website: www.dasdc.net
I think u will finally get back to your own kind, and have a gay-old time.

LMAO!!!! what IS THIS WEBSITE!!!
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Offline BoliverAllmon

• PS Silver Member
Reply #154 on: April 12, 2005, 10:15:09 PM

oh the epidemy of crap?

Offline Siberian Husky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #155 on: April 12, 2005, 11:42:25 PM

why does it say its Pianoforum.net ?

and why do they all talk like asians?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Offline meiting

• PS Silver Member
Reply #156 on: April 13, 2005, 07:09:11 AM

Excuse me?
Living for music is a sad state. Living to play music is not.

Offline Bacfokievrahms

• PS Silver Member
Reply #157 on: April 13, 2005, 07:47:35 AM
Most eastern asians cannot pronounce the r sound and have difficulty with z and v. I'm assuming Siberian Husky downloaded some of dasdc.net's various member dialogues.

Offline Waldszenen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #158 on: April 13, 2005, 10:17:26 AM
Excuse me?

Will the real Mei Ting please stand up?

>_>
Fortune favours the musical.

Offline Siberian Husky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #159 on: April 13, 2005, 10:36:33 PM
Excuse me?

uh ohh..did i offend someone..oops  :-X

no but seriously....

All DoZe FoOz Be TaWkIn LiKe DisSS YoOo

plus most of them have asian-like avatars and aliases...so yeah..dont get all uptight about my OBJECTIVE observation
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Offline DMHM

• PS Silver Member
Reply #160 on: April 14, 2005, 01:15:54 AM
uh ohh..did i offend someone..oops  :-X

no but seriously....

All DoZe FoOz Be TaWkIn LiKe DisSS YoOo

plus most of them have asian-like avatars and aliases...so yeah..dont get all uptight about my OBJECTIVE observation

For your information, that retarded manner of speaking/writing is supposedly in the "da hood" style, if you have any idea what that means. Unfortenately, usually objective observations (add to that several opinions made in this thread btw) are made without knowledge hence unfound and therefore often ignorant. If anything would get ppl all uptight, it's always the bloody ignorance....

Glissando

Reply #161 on: April 14, 2005, 01:43:18 AM
For your information, that retarded manner of speaking/writing is supposedly in the "da hood" style, if you have any idea what that means. Unfortenately, usually objective observations (add to that several opinions made in this thread btw) are made without knowledge hence unfound and therefore often ignorant. If anything would get ppl all uptight, it's always the bloody ignorance....

CONCURRED.
 ::)

Offline Siberian Husky

• PS Silver Member
Reply #162 on: April 14, 2005, 06:53:35 AM
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)

Offline Lang

• PS Silver Member
Reply #163 on: April 14, 2005, 10:18:18 PM

::)

Offline Skeptopotamus

• PS Silver Member
Reply #164 on: April 20, 2005, 06:35:24 PM
who's the real lang lang and who's the real mei-ting sun?

IM NOT GREGORY BROWN ><

Offline onemanband

• PS Silver Member
Reply #165 on: April 21, 2005, 04:28:26 PM
It's so sick to read what u guys are saying!! :P

Offline AvoidedCadence

Reply #166 on: April 21, 2005, 11:11:42 PM
have to agree - this thread has become HORRIBLE.  I don't know what people are thinking.  This type of behaviour has NO PLACE IN AN ARTIST's LIFE.  If you want to trade insults, go somewhere else.

To bring this thread back on topic (if that's possible) I would say this:

From what little I've heard of Mei-Ting's recordings, I'm quite impressed.  Perhaps he does not sound like Richter in his late years (nobody does) but please remember that he has his whole career ahead of him - it's almost scary to think of what he can still accomplish, especially with the technical foundation (Mei-Ting will you teach me?   ;D) he already has.

That said, it's not like his career has been based on bizarre talent without any character or experience to back it up.  It's evident to me (from reading some of his other posts and listening to his recordings) that Mei-Ting is a well-grounded and intelligent pianist.   Perhaps transposing the a minor etude into b-flat minor is not a DEEP musical enhancement but remember that Horowitz would sometimes PERFORM transposed pieces  (https://web.telia.com/~u85420275/concertography.htm), Hamelin enjoys inverting etudes, and Beethoven once had Liszt transpose a Bach fugue.  Good for building mental stamina, concentration, and general keyboard fitness (not that Mei-Ting lacks any of these).

Finally, why do we not hear people play like Richter anymore?  I believe it's because:
- technical standards are ridiculously high; you can't start late in life any more, practice three hours a day, and be successful - you're not taken seriously
- the emphasis is more on reproducable, "recording-quality" performances; taking emotional or technical risks is discouraged.
- people can't play like Richter without being accused of plagiarism
- the whole mind-set required of pianists has changed.  It's hard to survive as a pianist in this century if you're depressed (like Horowitz, Rachmaninoff, ... very many others)
- we like idolizing dead pianists  :(

So play on, Mei-Ting - you're the future  :D
Always play as though a master listened.
 - Robert Schumann
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert