Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Integral of the Beethoven 32 piano sonatas. Any suggestions?  (Read 5212 times)

Offline pianolo

• PS Silver Member
I want to buy the integral of the 32 Beethoven piano sonatas. Any recommandations on a great recording? I would prefer a newer recording with good sound quality over a legendary recording with poor sound.

Offline steinwayguy

• PS Silver Member
Re: Integral of the Beethoven 32 piano sonatas. Any suggestions?
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 03:28:51 AM
Richard Goode or Wilhelm Kempff (mono)
not Ashkenazy

Offline Waldszenen

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 04:40:52 AM
You shouldn't worry about the sound quality - some of the best recordings ever are covered by a layer of hiss.

Great recordings;

- Brendel (he's made three: Vox ADD, Philips ADD, Philips DDD - the first and third are supposedly the better ones)

- Gilels (on DG - I think he died before the last few were recorded)

- Arrau

Of course if you want only the good sound ones, you'll be missing out on the Schnabel cycle, which is one of my favourites.
Fortune favours the musical.

Offline Kassaa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 05:47:52 AM
-

Offline dinosaurtales

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 05:58:56 AM
Brendel is reputed to be one of the most "correct" interpreters of Beethoven.  He apparently researched each piece considerably before learning it - a tidbit passed on by my teacher who knows him.  For what it's worth.  I do not know if he recorded them all.  If any are missing, there are several others who have recorded them all, such as Ian Hobson.  I like his version, but many times these recordings of "all the Beethoven sonatas" are done very early in a career in order to put some points on the score board and get big attention, so they may not all be worthwhile owning. 

Aim for Brendel.  His playing is incredible.
So much music, so little time........

Offline Lance Morrison

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 06:23:11 AM
I've heard one of Brendal's recordings.....while his 109 was wonderful, i despised his 106

Offline presto agitato

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 01:49:14 PM
Two words: Alfred Brendel  :o
The masterpiece tell the performer what to do, and not the performer telling the piece what it should be like, or the cocomposer what he ought to have composed.

--Alfred Brendel--

Offline pianolo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 01:52:15 PM
I think I will go with Brendel then. Just found the new recording (Phillips DDD) on amazon. Thanks for the advice.

Offline presto agitato

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 02:00:31 PM
What about Stephen Bishop Kovacevich?

I have never heard his playing of the soonatas, but i own his  Beethoven´s concertos and some people say his playing of the "Emperor" concerto is the best available.

The masterpiece tell the performer what to do, and not the performer telling the piece what it should be like, or the cocomposer what he ought to have composed.

--Alfred Brendel--

Offline moderatissimo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 02:57:54 PM
Gulda !!!

Offline stormx

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 03:41:26 PM
Hi !!

Give a try at Jeno Jando (sp?), for Naxos.
I own 5 of the 10 CDs collection (those with the less known sonatas).
The sound is very good, the price is low, CDs can be bought separately, and IMHO, the performance is pretty good. Surely, there are better ones out there (Brendel,Kempff, Arrau), but Jando is ok.

Offline iumonito

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 05:11:04 PM
I own several sets and can tell you this:  Brendel's is insipid.

I like Gilels a lot, although because they were recorded over a long period of time they do not have the same sound quality across the board.  106 and 110 are the best.  He did not record them all.  His performance of Op 31.2 is unremarkable; of 31.3 unforgettable.

In my opinion, your best option is Daniel Baremboim.  They are available in video, are very consistent and IMO the best set.  Reminds me of Schnabel, but without the mistakes and with good sound.

I do like the Ashkenazy version.  Passionate and clean, tempos on the fast side.  Not a Germanized reading at all.
Money does not make happiness, but it can buy you a piano.  :)

Offline allthumbs

Reply #12 on: April 20, 2005, 05:51:14 PM
Greetings

Robert Silverman has a 10 Cd boxed set of Beethoven's 32 Piano Sonatas recorded on a Bosendorfer 290E Reproducing Piano that is truly magnificent.

If you visit his web site, you can e-mail him directly and order this set on-line. He even graciously autographed the set for me when I asked him to.

His website is    -  https://www.robert-silverman.com/
Discography  - https://www.robert-silverman.com/pages/discography.html

Cheers ;D

Reviews on the recordings  - 

https://www.robert-silverman.com/cd/Beethoven32.html

https://www.audiophilia.com/software/ak50.htm
Sauter Delta (185cm) polished ebony 'Lucy'
Serial # 118 562

Offline matthewpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: April 20, 2005, 11:39:18 PM
One set of the Beethoven Sonatas is never enough.  They are the true cornerstone of the repertoire and should be at the centre of every decent collection.  Its all very subjective, of course, but here are my nominations for complete sets.

If I could only have one, I would go for:

Claudio Arrau (Philips) - available as a 14CD set including the variations and concertos, this is a record of wonderfully musical and considered playing by a true master.

Other pianists I like in some of the sonatas are Brendel; Barenboim; Roberts; Lill. Kovacevich includes some wonderful playing.

Offline LVB op.57

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: April 21, 2005, 01:16:05 AM
Personally, I'd advise against Jeno Jando. Schnabel is good, you'll learn to put up with the sound quality.

Offline aquariuswb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: April 21, 2005, 02:37:58 AM
Brendel is a very good choice for a complete set, but he would not be my first choice for any single particular sonata -- not one. Good set to start with though, I think.

Gilels' incomplete cycle is fantastic.

Solomon's incomplete cycle is fantastic.

Bruce Hungerford's incomplete cycle is fantastic.

Gieseking's incomplete cycle is fantastic.

My favorite complete cycle is hands-down Kempff (mono), and I have not heard Annie Fischer's complete cycle, but some very experienced listeners inform me that hers may be the best ever recorded. I'm checking it out soon.

DON'T RELY ONE JUST ONE CYCLE. TRUST ME! If you're going to get a complete cycle, make sure you complement it with other recordings of the sonatas, because no cycle will have the best version of every sonata. I still say the first or third Brendel cycle is a good starting point, but GET OTHER RECORDINGS YOU MUST.

For the late sonatas, go for Pollini, Gieseking, Solomon, Hungerford, Schnabel.

For middle period (i.e. Waldstein, Appassionata, Les Adieux, and those in between), check out Gilels, Richter, and Robert Casadesus (at least those that they recorded) -- and for Waldstein in particular, I am in love with Pollini's live DG release grouped with Opp. 22 and 26.

For early-middle (i.e. Op. 22 - Op. 31), I recommend Rubinstein, Kempff (mono), Barenboim (either cycle really), Solomon.

For early sonatas, I recommend Kovacevich, Pollini (recent DG CD with Opp. 10 and 13 -- humorless but elegant/powerful/astonishing playing), Hungerford, Solmon, and Kempff (mono).

I know you are looking for one cycle to start with, so go get Brendel (first or third cycle) or Richard Goode, or hell, even Ashkenazy's cycle is a great place to start -- but make sure you check out different recordings, starting with your favorite sonatas. Start with some of my recommendations, or ignore them completely and get rec's from someone else. But know that I have 2.53 GB of just Beethoven piano sonatas on my computer, and more recordings on CD, so I am an experienced listener and can give good advice regarding these sonatas.

Good luck!
Favorite pianists include Pollini, Casadesus, Mendl (from the Vienna Piano Trio), Hungerford, Gilels, Argerich, Iturbi, Horowitz, Kempff, and I suppose Barenboim (gotta love the CSO). Too many others.

Offline presto agitato

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: April 21, 2005, 04:44:58 AM
Brendel is a very good choice for a complete set, but he would not be my first choice for any single particular sonata -- not one.
}

Well, thats your opinion  ::)

--Alfred Brendel--

Offline allthumbs

Reply #17 on: April 21, 2005, 05:33:29 AM
I know you are looking for one cycle to start with, so go get Brendel (first or third cycle) or Richard Goode, or hell, even Ashkenazy's cycle is a great place to start -- but make sure you check out different recordings, starting with your favorite sonatas. Start with some of my recommendations, or ignore them completely and get rec's from someone else. But know that I have 2.53 GB of just Beethoven piano sonatas on my computer, and more recordings on CD, so I am an experienced listener and can give good advice regarding these sonatas.

Good luck!

Greetings

Both Brendel and Goode are excellent choices. As an experienced listener, how about Artur Schnabel, whom you just mentioned in passing or Yves Nat? They all have excellent complete sets. By the way, have you heard of Robert Silverman?

Cheers ;D

Sauter Delta (185cm) polished ebony 'Lucy'
Serial # 118 562

Offline aquariuswb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: April 21, 2005, 12:51:06 PM
}

Well, thats your opinion  ::)

Really? Thanks, I didn't know that.  ::)

Greetings

Both Brendel and Goode are excellent choices. As an experienced listener, how about Artur Schnabel, whom you just mentioned in passing or Yves Nat? They all have excellent complete sets. By the way, have you heard of Robert Silverman?

Cheers ;D

Yes, Schnabel is an excellent set, but the original poster was looking for something with better sound quality -- otherwise I would have mentioned him. Although the Pearl transfers sound pretty decent.

I have yet to hear Yves Nat's set. I have read both good and bad things about it, but since I have not heard it I cannot recommend it. But if you recommend it highly, I'm sure I will get around to giving it a listen at some point.

I've heard a few of Silverman's sonatas, but not his whole cycle. I have enjoyed what I heard. It didn't "blow me away," but it sounded like fine playing.

I forgot to mention that John Lill has a cycle out that is far less expensive than the other cycles being mentioned. I haven't heard it, but the price alone may make it a good beginner's set.
Favorite pianists include Pollini, Casadesus, Mendl (from the Vienna Piano Trio), Hungerford, Gilels, Argerich, Iturbi, Horowitz, Kempff, and I suppose Barenboim (gotta love the CSO). Too many others.

Offline aquariuswb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: April 21, 2005, 12:54:28 PM
I also forgot to mention Arrau -- fantastic playing. He generally takes things a little slow for my taste, which is probably why I forgot to mention him earlier, but talk about command of the keyboard... really one of the finest Beethoven interpreters of all time.

I wouldn't recommend his set to a beginner, though, just because of his untraditional interpretations/tempos. But they really are something else.

Offline steinwayguy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: April 22, 2005, 03:28:25 AM
Schnabel is not a great introduction into the Beethoven sonatas. Maybe after you get to know the pieces a lot better, then you will appreciate Schnabel.

Offline stormx

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: April 22, 2005, 01:40:15 PM
Hi,
it seems people dislike Jando cycle...
May i ask you why?

PD: i didnt say it was the BEST, but i beleive he does a pretty decent job.

Offline aquariuswb

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: April 22, 2005, 01:49:27 PM
From what I've heard, Jandö (spelling?) is an incredible pianist. I just feel that his interpretations are "rushed" -- at least in Beethoven. What I've heard of his Liszt is actually quite excellent.

To me, it sounds as though he must be an incredibly fast sight-reader and finger memory, but his LvB interpretations do not rival the greats IMO. It sounds as though he picked up these pieces and learned them very, very quickly, without paying too much attention to nuance and detail, and failing to produce interpretations that sound studied. From what I heard, it doesn't sound like he has too much invested in his Beethoven cycle -- it sounds like it was just a "project" to him.

His technique is certainly up to par. His "Beethoven touch," however, cannot match that of Solomon, Hungerford, Kempff, Arrau, Schnabel, etc.

(in my opinion  ;))

Offline placebo

• PS Silver Member
Hello there,

I am also planning to buy a complete CD-set, a not-too-old recording with an overall good standard performance. What I have read so far (forum, books) the Brendel1980's, Brendel1990's and the Ashkenazy seem to have a standard high level of interpretative quality.

Please, do you have any details on the presentation/packaging of these three mentioned sets? I am particularly interested to know in which set to find the most detailed booklet (I assume that there is always only one global booklet and not a separate booklet for each jewel-case. Or does the Brendel1980's-box come with 10 jewel-cases packaged in a carton?)

Thanks for some details on packaging and size of booklets in advance,
best regards

placebo

Offline nightingale11

• PS Silver Member
Brendel is a very good choice for a complete set

I don't think he recorded the hammerklavier (problem with the hands?).

For a new set try Andras Schiff.

Also have a look at his very interesting lectures of the complete set:

https://music.guardian.co.uk/classical/page/0,,1943867,00.html

Offline Kassaa

• PS Silver Member

For a new set try Andras Schiff.

Also have a look at his very interesting lectures of the complete set:

https://music.guardian.co.uk/classical/page/0,,1943867,00.html
Brendel did record the Hammerklavier, Schiff's recording is generally disliked I believe (I however have not heard them). Gilels has an awesome almost complete set, only it is such a pity he died before recording the Op. 111 :'( . I think Gilels is your best bet, and the very few sonatas that are missing you can buy on a separate disc from an other pianist (Richter, Solomon?).

Offline electrodoc

• PS Silver Member
You can find Schiff's Beethoven lectures on Guardian Unlimited together with quite long sections of each sonata.

Offline phil13

• PS Silver Member

Alfred Brendel recorded the complete works of Beethoven, Hammerklavier and all.

Phil

Offline iumonito

• PS Silver Member
Brendull?  Please.  Enough with the Brendel mania.  Brendull is just not good enough.  A sad product of the urtext generation.

Goode and Gulda, on the other hand are very good suggestions.  I stick to my original of getting them on DVD with Barenboim.

And what about recording on forte-piano?  Bilson, Tan and Brautigam all are superb musicians.  And Badura-Skoda, what can I say: he is everything Brendull isn't.
Money does not make happiness, but it can buy you a piano.  :)

Offline jakev2.0

• PS Silver Member
HOW has Schnabel not been mentioned?  HOW!!?!!?

Brendel???? What is the flippin' world coming to.

Chopin, Liszt, Busoni, Rachmaninov, Hofmann, frown upon PS.

Offline mikey6

• PS Silver Member
HOW has Schnabel not been mentioned?  HOW!!?!!?

Of course if you want only the good sound ones, you'll be missing out on the Schnabel cycle, which is one of my favourites.
Never look at the trombones. You'll only encourage them.
Richard Strauss

Offline steinwaymodeld

• PS Silver Member
Complete:

Annie Fischer without a doubt is the no.1 choice
Yves Nat is very nice too
Anton Kuerti is very awesome, esp the late ones.

If u is ok with a NOT so complete (like 2 sonata shorted)
get Emil Gilels, that's is almost some of the best studio beethoven u will ever hear in your life.

but yea, complete one, get Fischer.

AVOID BRENDEL AND BARENBOIM AT ALL COST.
Perfection itself is imperfection - Vladimir Horowitz

Offline Kassaa

• PS Silver Member
Complete:

Annie Fischer without a doubt is the no.1 choice
Yves Nat is very nice too
Anton Kuerti is very awesome, esp the late ones.

If u is ok with a NOT so complete (like 2 sonata shorted)
get Emil Gilels, that's is almost some of the best studio beethoven u will ever hear in your life.

but yea, complete one, get Fischer.

AVOID BRENDEL AND BARENBOIM AT ALL COST.
DAMN, forgot about Fischer. Fischer is indeed an awesome choice.

Offline phil13

• PS Silver Member
I love Schnabel's set, although it was unusual in many respects.

Wasn't too impressed by Kempff. Nor Brendel, except for a select few sonatas.

From what I've heard of Gilels, that seems like the best bet. I have not heard all the recs, though.

Phil

Offline webern78

• PS Silver Member
Big sets:

Gulda, Kempff (early cycle), Gilels (incomplete, but a must) and Yves Nat (odd ball choice, but a favored of mine from a long while)

Must haves single recordings:

Ivan Moravec (all two of them).

Stephen Kovacevich (70s recordings of assorted sonatas and the Diabelli, included in his complete concertos set).

Late sonatas:

Charles Rosen.

Vladimir Feltsman.

Edwin Fischer.

Offline mcgillcomposer

• PS Silver Member
Richard Goode or Wilhelm Kempff (mono)
not Ashkenazy

I second this. I just bought the Ashkenazy...they aren't very good at all. He has a very polished technique, but there isn't much variety in his sound. In my opinion Beethoven needs incredible dynamic and emotional range. For this reason, I find the Kempff to be a little too reserved for my tastes; however, it is certainly more artistic than the Ashkenazy recording. Alfred Brendel's recordings are quite nice.
Asked if he had ever conducted any Stockhausen,Sir Thomas Beecham replied, "No, but I once trod in some."

Offline steinwaymodeld

• PS Silver Member
I love Schnabel's set, although it was unusual in many respects.

Wasn't too impressed by Kempff. Nor Brendel, except for a select few sonatas.

From what I've heard of Gilels, that seems like the best bet. I have not heard all the recs, though.

Phil

you really should get that boxset with those 30 (or 29?) sonata on it, it's not that expensive neither.

https://www.amazon.com/Emil-Gilels-Plays-Beethoven-Box/dp/B000667FVA
Perfection itself is imperfection - Vladimir Horowitz

Offline placebo

• PS Silver Member
Hello everyone,

if you "had to" choose between Brendel 90's and Ashkenazy (only these two options! ;-), which one would you go for as your 1st complete-box...disregarding the purchase costs and the quality/quantity of the booklet?

Thanks for some opinions,
placebo
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert