Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Etudes  (Read 3875 times)

Offline chopinfan_22

• PS Silver Member
Etudes
on: February 16, 2006, 01:11:11 AM
I have a question about Liszt's Etudes. Now I know some of them are completely off the wall... but to any of you that have played/taught them, how helpful are they? I was thinking of trying his first Trascandental Etude (in C). It's only two pages... the last page being arpeggios. I just wanted to gather an opinion. Thanks.
"When I look around me, I must sigh, for what I see is contrary to my religion and I must despize the world which does not know that music is a higher revelation beyond all wisdom and philosophy."

Offline franzliszt2

• PS Silver Member
Re: Etudes
Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 11:14:05 AM
They are very helpful if you have a strong technique, they will push it further. For example, if you can play the chopin 3rds etude, and 6ths etude, one could say that you have a good double note technique. Try Feux follets, and its a different matter. Learn feux follets, then you have a great double not technique, which surpasses chopins. The liszt Etudes also help the LH more than chopin, in my opinion Chopin is not good for Left hand. The revelutionary etude presents no severe difficulties, whereas transcendental No. 10, is very tricky for the LH. The Liszt etudes are very good for arms, and shoulders, which is needed in much of Liszts music, and very big powerful pieces, like Rachmaninoff concerto's Tchaikovsky concerto etc.

In my opinion the Liszt etudes are very beneficial and greatr fun, as well as great music

Offline g_s_223

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 12:49:59 PM
A good exposure to Liszt's music in general is helpful to developing a comprehensive piano technique. I'd suggest looking at his listening to his three volumes of the Années de Pelerinage and see what pieces catch your attention.

There is a wide variety of pieces in there, of varying characters and difficulty, and most aren't too long.

:D

Offline donjuan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 12:13:47 AM
The only one I have played is the first one.  Learn it, it's fun!  It also impresses smart and stupid people alike when you play in public.  The 2nd page is easy if you use the Busoni fingering.  The hardest part of the piece for me is that first descending C7 arpeggio, but if you have encountered similar passages like it in other pieces, then you shouldn't have a problem.  Learn it!!  It makes for a great introduction when playing for people.

I dont think I can learn any of the others, but maybe No. 7 eroica.  But who wants to play eroica?  no one, thats who!  :)  1837 setting is much better for that one.

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert