Piano Forum

Does Rachmaninoff Touch Your Heart?
Today, with smartwatches and everyday electronics, it is increasingly common to measure training results, heart rate, calorie consumption, and overall health. But monitoring heart rate of pianists and audience can reveal interesting insights on several other aspects within the musical field. Read more >>

Topic: Project Shapety Shape  (Read 69779 times)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Re: Project Shapety Shape
Reply #50 on: April 18, 2011, 05:34:07 AM
On the plus side I did .2 miles on the treadmill today. :)

Fab, Bob, fab!

Today I was traveling all day and so my eating was not in the realm of my normals today.  I'm not sure of the calorie content of my meals, but I'm going to guess it's *around* what I generally aim for 1500-1600 calories.

Breakfast:  Zone bar (210)
Mid-morning snack:  Banana (100)
Lunch:  (tiny and extremely simple) salad, one bread stick, and eggplant parmesan
Dinner:  Vegetable Stromboli from a market's deli
Dessert:  Dairy Queen mini blizzard

No exercise today  :'(.
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline john11inc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #51 on: April 18, 2011, 05:38:17 AM
I want in on this D:

Maybe m1469 or Bob could start a more official, interactive PS weight loss thread.
If this work is so threatening, it is not because it's simply strange, but competent, rigorously argued and carrying conviction.

-Jacques Derrida

https://www.youtube.com/user/john11inch

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #52 on: April 18, 2011, 05:58:17 AM
I want in on this D:

Join in!

Update:  I marched myself into doing my workout anyway, before bed.  A single set of squats to go, which I'm assuming I'll actually do!  Nothing new in my lifting/situps routine yet, maybe Tuesday:

Squats:  60lbs.
Bench:   60lbs.
Situps:   60 total
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #53 on: April 18, 2011, 06:02:58 AM
PS -- Oh yeah, I've got a brilliant idea for if you want it to be a more interactive thread!  I suggest everybody post a photo of their "before" buns  :D :-* ... and then "after" buns, too, of course :).

(yes, I've obviously got buns on the brain lately)

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #54 on: April 18, 2011, 06:47:17 AM
Dessert:  Dairy Queen mini blizzard

My favorite is oreo. :)
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline fleetfingers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #55 on: April 18, 2011, 06:54:43 AM
Cookie Dough.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #56 on: April 18, 2011, 07:31:04 AM
PS -- Oh yeah, I've got a brilliant idea for if you want it to be a more interactive thread!  I suggest everybody post a photo of their "before" buns  :D :-* ... and then "after" buns, too, of course :).

Well, we would have to find someone to take the picture for us.

Perhaps sitting on a photocopier would be easier.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #57 on: April 18, 2011, 08:46:48 AM
Usual breakfast as posted before.

Lunch: Leftover chicken and bacon from previous night's mixed grill. Large cup of tea.

Walk of about a mile to shops.

Afternoon tea: Large cup of tea, one apple.

20 minutes dumbbells and expander.

1500 turns of cycle on maximum resistance medium/rapid. About once a week I do fewer turns but a bit slower on maximum resistance. I think at my age it strengthens the knees, hips and ankles without jarring. Too many of my contemporaries who played sport when younger but stopped have had knee and hip operations; I want to avoid it if possible.

Couple of glasses of water, another cup of tea.

Dinner: One pork chop with rice. Small helping of leftover feijoa crumble and yoghurt ice cream.

Another cup of tea and a biscuit.

No point in my posting more photos. I've been much the same for years now. 78kg, 185cm, very little body fat. Just staying the same is fine.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #58 on: April 18, 2011, 11:42:58 AM
A banana... which tastes like something other than a banana.  That's not right.  This banana tastes more like chicken than banana. 
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #59 on: April 18, 2011, 03:02:56 PM
My favorite is oreo. :)

I had their blizzard of the month, which was caramel cookie (bits of sugar cookie, I think).  It was pretty great :).

Well, we would have to find someone to take the picture for us.

Thal

You can use a mirror  ;D.

Okay.  Now, I am posting at the moment as a kind of preventative from sluffing off my walk altogether today -- I'm making my intentions more real to myself by doing so.  It's raining, I'm super tired, and it's going to have to wait until I'm done teaching today (not until 7pm).  So, I'm challenging myself to own up to it and still do it, despite the fact that it will be after a long day and probably in the rain!  Because of the fact that it will probably be in the rain, I guess I'll have to wear an actual workout clothing situation and not jeans.  

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #60 on: April 18, 2011, 03:27:48 PM
Maybe not for the photocopier!...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #61 on: April 18, 2011, 11:25:15 PM
I carrying around two pounds of extra weight all day today.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #62 on: April 19, 2011, 02:36:40 AM
Another .2 miles on the treadmill today.  Still carrying those two pounds. 

And I moved some stuff which counts as weight lifting.  Dexterity exercise involved now in moving around my place since I "organized" things, neglecting to leave a path for myself somehow...

Exhausted.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #63 on: April 19, 2011, 05:43:51 AM
Bob, for some reason it seems like I've posted about this before, but maybe that's only because I've thought about the whole thing before.  But, I've thought about the funny concept of gaining wait in order to make oneself have a harder workout in existence ... haha.  I mean, it's very strange because some people hike around with packs and weight on their backs because they want it to give them a bigger workout ... so, how is that different than an extra set of body pounds?  I guess because it's not *just* about the extra weight but the entire system.  Anyway, it's still sort of funny!

Today, I did not go for my walk.  It wasn't *sheer* laziness, it was also due to finishing up taxes and then chores that I normally would have done yesterday but didn't.  I just ran out of time, actually!  But, I think it's okay and will go to sleepies soon and hopefully get refreshed truly.  But, here is today's food:

Breakfast:  Oatmeal, brown sugar, berries (no yogurt b/c we were out)  250 calories
Lunch:  Salad with grilled pork loin on top.   about 300(?)
Snack:  Zone bar   210
Other snack:  Small apple 80
Dinner:  English muffin, cheese, pork loin sandwhich and salad 450

Total:  1290 ... hmmm ... I didn't mean for it to be that low but I feel OK.  Night, night.

Offline perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #64 on: April 19, 2011, 09:26:49 AM
I'm doing the same thing... I've been at the gym Thu, Fri, Sat, Mon & Today for between 1 1/2 hours - 2 hours every single time.

That plus I'm eating very healthy... For Breakfast I have either Muesli and yoghurt, or a decent cereal - and for lunch and dinner I have a Fish and salad wrap. No snacking.

Man - I feel hungry and tired though.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #65 on: April 20, 2011, 10:34:55 AM
Breakfast: Bran mixture and banana. Two cups of coffee.

Lunch:Left over bolognese. Large cup of tea. Apple.

Afternoon: Five feijoas. Large cup of tea.

Training: Exercycling, 2000 turns, high resistance, rapid/sprint.

Dinner: Shin on the bone stew with spuds and Chinese cabbage.

Evening: Cup of tea and biscuit.

I think for me to post further daily exercise and food intake will court monotony. My routine is very securely established and I am quite happy with it.

For anybody starting or wanting physical change, many small but permanent changes over time are much better than a few drastic, sudden  ones. Firstly people tend to give up on the latter, and secondly they can cause distress to the body, especially with older age groups. Habit is a very powerful force and if each stage of change is instigated little by little, routine takes over smoothly and imperceptibly. Unfortunately, sudden change and competitive extremes of diet and exercise are very fashionable just now. I do not think this tendency is particularly healthy, either mentally or physically.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #66 on: April 20, 2011, 03:27:40 PM
Dinner: Shin on the bone stew with spuds and Chinese cabbage.

What the?

For anybody starting or wanting physical change, many small but permanent changes over time are much better than a few drastic, sudden  ones. Firstly people tend to give up on the latter, and secondly they can cause distress to the body, especially with older age groups. Habit is a very powerful force and if each stage of change is instigated little by little, routine takes over smoothly and imperceptibly. Unfortunately, sudden change and competitive extremes of diet and exercise are very fashionable just now. I do not think this tendency is particularly healthy, either mentally or physically.

I was just thinking about related things on my walk this morning.  What I am truly trying to do in my life right now is establish very realitic habits that I can live with for the rest of it, and I'm actually trying to get away from drastic feelings and acts regarding my body and my activity.  I have fairly athletic desires in my life, such as being able to do larger day hikes on a day off from practicing (the most readily accessible one around here being something like 10 miles round-trip and about 4-5K elevation gain) without it completely wiping me out for days afterwards.  So, I'm trying to just establish right now, my very basic foundation and that includes a certain acceptance that I'm kind of starting over at this point in my life, in a sense.  I remember what it feels like to be in great shape, but the reality is that I'm not and I can't get back into great shape overnight, and I may never be in exactly the same kind of shape that I was during my best basketball season, for example.  So, I'm just needing to refigure all of that step by step!

On that front, the past few days have been really more difficult (I've been somewhat exhausted) than they should be, I think, and I think I haven't been eating quite enough or my body is just changing enough to really feel it.  Well, and I hadn't been sleeping that well (partly because I've been hungry in the middle of the night, but partly because my motor is running).

Yesterday:

Workout:
Bench:  60 lbs.
Squat:  60 lbs.
Situps:  63 total (I added a single one in each set)

This was all fairly tiring for me yesterday ... moreso than I would expect.

Food:

Breaky:  Normal (300)
Lunch:  Salad w/some leftover grilled pork loin and a serving of potato chips (400)
Snack:  Zone bar (210) which I seemed to definitely need right on the heels of my lunch.
Other snack:  Skinny cow (140)
Other snack:  banana (100)
Dinner:  (things began getting chaotic here)  Two pieces of bread and two eggs ... some more salad (400)
Eating:  Well, here I started eating potato chips somewhat freely as I became extremely hungry ... probably ate about 2 servings which is about another (300 -- I rounded up)  Oh yeah, and a little chocolate (50?)

So, total: 1900  -- yesterday was a bit of a rebound day from the day before during which I really didn't eat enough, which is what I am trying to avoid!  It is possible, though, that I may need a hundred or so more calories each day than what I've generally been aiming for.  I'll think about it :).  Cheers!

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #67 on: April 22, 2011, 08:12:58 PM
Okaly dokaly.

Well, the last couple of days I haven't been precisely counting calories, but today I am again.

But, here is yesterday's workout (this is getting confusing for me when I am posting always about the day before!):

Bench:  65lbs.
Squats:  65lbs.
Situps:   66 total (moved up to 22 per set)

Have yet to do my walk/run today, but I will!  Sleep is very poor  :'(.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #68 on: April 23, 2011, 03:37:10 PM
Both yesterday and today, I have done a Thalathlon.

That is 20 miles cycling, 2 miles walking and 30 minutes in the bath with a glass of Champagne.

Great stuff.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #69 on: April 23, 2011, 04:37:02 PM
My buns are aching.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #70 on: April 23, 2011, 04:47:34 PM
My buns are becoming ever so slightly too foxy for my pants  :D

Workout today:

Squats:  70
Bench:   70
Situps:   69

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #71 on: April 23, 2011, 04:51:40 PM
30 minutes in the bath with a glass of Champagne.
Champagne? You?! Mon Dieu! - whatever next?!

Great stuff.
What champagne was it, then?

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #72 on: April 23, 2011, 04:54:48 PM
No idea, I did not look.

Got it from Asda.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #73 on: April 23, 2011, 06:48:43 PM
No idea, I did not look.

Got it from Asda.
Ah. Just wondering whether it might have been Dom Pérignon, Krug or Louis Roederer Cristal. Anyway, as you were...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #74 on: April 23, 2011, 07:14:41 PM
I never spend a lot of money on Champagne.

If I spend £10 and it is panther piss, it is better than spending £100 and getting the same.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #75 on: April 24, 2011, 02:28:38 PM
mmm ... panther piss.

Okay, I'm thinking of good slogans for my buns campaign.  Here are a couple of nice thoughts on buns for the day, in case anybody is in need:

"Free range buns, it's how buns are built to last"

OR

"Shapety Shape farms, building buns for eternity, one day at a time."

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #76 on: April 24, 2011, 03:25:58 PM
Hot cross buns are perhaps suitable for Easter.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #77 on: April 24, 2011, 08:41:03 PM
Very suitable, indeed!

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #78 on: April 25, 2011, 02:32:46 PM
ffwew ...  I'm pushing it a little this morning, but I want that.  I think I am reaching a new level of strength and a new level of intensity.  It's one thing to kind of go through the motions to get used to it all again ... but after a point, you've got to go beyond that!  Yesterday's walk was my longest neighborhood walk in a while.  It wasn't as brisk as I could've made it and I haven't been jogging lately, but it was a nice walk all the same.

Today's workout included a new lift and more weight (with squats) and more situps:

Leg Curls:  30 lbs.
Bench:  70 lbs.
Squats:  85 lbs.
Situps:   75 total

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #79 on: April 25, 2011, 04:51:26 PM
I did my Tour de Country Parks today, so about 25 reasonably hilly miles.

I have been out every day of the Easter break and feel rather proud of myself, although I could do without the aching buns.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #80 on: April 25, 2011, 07:54:52 PM
That's cool Thal, I did about 15 Miles only, but very hilly, a bit mountainbikish, it was wonderful :)

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #81 on: April 25, 2011, 10:10:26 PM
If you say very hilly, I dread to think.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #82 on: April 25, 2011, 10:26:06 PM
If you say very hilly, I dread to think.

Thal

;D  8)

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #83 on: April 25, 2011, 10:29:06 PM
That reminds me of that video that was posted here a couple of years ago. Still gives me vertigo.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #84 on: April 25, 2011, 10:32:10 PM

I am going to ring bike shop tomorrow and ask if this will support my weight.

It is my birthday next month and I find it hard to resist a 2010 bike sale. Gearing might be a bit harsh for me. Could always chuck a triple on it :o.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #85 on: April 25, 2011, 10:35:22 PM
That reminds me of that video that was posted here a couple of years ago. Still gives me vertigo.

Thal

The Camino del rey? Ohhh yeah, me too :P but I love it  ;D

Oh yeah, that's a cool bike!! :) I always have triple... :-\ :P  My joints are grateful for that...

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #86 on: April 26, 2011, 03:10:28 AM
The Camino del rey? Ohhh yeah, me too :P but I love it  ;D

Oh yeah, that's a cool bike!! :) I always have triple... :- :P  My joints are grateful for that...

woah... it was just yesterday or so that I thought of posting this and couldn't remember where I had seen it ... whether it was here or somewhere else.

Congrats on the bicycling, gentlemen! 

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #87 on: April 26, 2011, 10:33:46 AM
I got painful muscle cramps last night :o. My answer? More bicycling today  8) A true man doesn't know any pain  ;D

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #88 on: April 26, 2011, 08:53:55 PM
I am knackered but it feels good.
Looking forward to the summer:

;D

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #89 on: April 26, 2011, 09:10:01 PM
hehe,  lovely photo.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #90 on: April 27, 2011, 06:31:55 PM
I had to look here to check in with my leg curls weight ... hee hee.

Okay, my walk yesterday was great ... no running again yet, but soon!  Also, I'd like to add a tricep lift to my "cardio" days.

Todays lifting:

Bench:  80
Squat:  95
Leg Curl:  30
Situps:  90

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #91 on: April 27, 2011, 08:36:45 PM
I had to look here to check in with my leg curls weight ... hee hee.

Okay, my walk yesterday was great ... no running again yet, but soon!  Also, I'd like to add a tricep lift to my "cardio" days.

Todays lifting:

Bench:  80
Squat:  95
Leg Curl:  30
Situps:  90
It all sounds quite incredibly painful, but good luck with it all! I cannot help but think that if I tried to do a week's worth of that kind of thing, everyone here would soon be very relieved that I'd dropped off the face of the earth as a more or less direct consequence!

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline richard black

• PS Silver Member
Reply #92 on: April 27, 2011, 09:10:12 PM
Yes, agree with Alistair - sounds impressive. I'm afraid I'm far too impatient to exercise in a gym but I do put in frequently over 100 miles a week on a bike, simply going from job to job in London - apart from being good exercise it saves money and more to the point saves an incredible amount of time. I once calculated that, compared with public transport, it saves me approximately three working weeks every year.
Instrumentalists are all wannabe singers. Discuss.

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #93 on: April 27, 2011, 09:18:17 PM
Yes, agree with Alistair - sounds impressive. I'm afraid I'm far too impatient to exercise in a gym but I do put in frequently over 100 miles a week on a bike, simply going from job to job in London - apart from being good exercise it saves money and more to the point saves an incredible amount of time. I once calculated that, compared with public transport, it saves me approximately three working weeks every year.
Knowing something of the way in which you drive a bicycle, I would have submitted that this activity saves you approximately three working weeks every month; a mutual friend whose name need surely not be mentioned once wrote of you as "the only cyclist I've ever met that I'd put money on to leave a Bugatti Veyron standing at the lights, and we've both seen him perform manouevres that would give an F16 pilot pause for thought". I'm not about to argue with that! Indeed, I believe that there would be ample mileage - no, sorry, kilometrage - in someone writing a volume on the subject of how to outwit a TGV entitled The Black Art of Cycling...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #94 on: April 27, 2011, 09:46:52 PM
Knowing something of the way in which you drive a bicycle

One does not drive a bicycle.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #95 on: April 27, 2011, 10:04:18 PM
One does not drive a bicycle.
"One" might not, but let me assure you from personal experience that Richard Black most certainly does - and in a way that would offer ample competition to city car drivers were he remotely interested in competing therewith rather than simply driving his bicycle energetically in order to transport him from A to B (or do I mean Z?) as rapidly and conveniently as possible.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #96 on: April 28, 2011, 02:30:23 AM
It all sounds quite incredibly painful, but good luck with it all! I cannot help but think that if I tried to do a week's worth of that kind of thing, everyone here would soon be very relieved that I'd dropped off the face of the earth as a more or less direct consequence!

Best,

Alistair

I doubt that!  But, it's not painful for me (except I tried too much weight on the leg curls today and got scared for a minute)!  The situps so far are the most burny, and I'm starting to get a little burny in the lifts, but it's like something kicked in for me however many days ago and it's as though my muscles are remembering how this goes.  I don't know why in the *world* I haven't been doing this for the last so many years!  I guess because I've always thought I needed to dedicate hours at a time, and I don't need to do that, actually, in order to feel stronger and more fit.  That is really quite nice!

Anyhoo, thanks for the wishes :).

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #97 on: April 28, 2011, 11:13:43 AM
ohhhhhhh me back :-\
Curator/Director

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #98 on: April 30, 2011, 03:06:39 AM
*Bob contributes to the thread.*

Easy food to lose weight.

For supper.

Tuna on crackers.  Tastes good and it's fairly healthy.   (except for the BP oil and Japanese radiation now)

Salsa and chips.

Those are separate meals.  Both tastey, easy, and filling.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #99 on: April 30, 2011, 08:30:11 PM
Thanks for the contribution, Bob :)!  

Well, workouts have been going well, eating for the past couple of days not as well, but I know why.  I just need to rope it in.

Anyhoo, my weights workout yesterday was the same as the weights workout before, so I won't repost that -- although, I think I did an extra set of situps because I couldn't remember if I had already done them all or not, and my rule is that if I forget, I must do another.

I have added a tripec lift for the "cardio" days and that is right now just 15 pounds.  But, I love it!  Also, soon I think I will get myself a lifting belt for squats.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert