Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: What are you eating right now ?  (Read 85367 times)

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Re: What are you eating right now ?
Reply #600 on: January 21, 2012, 05:26:54 AM
Excellent ! Mouth wateringly spicy ! I can almost smell the pictures. I shan't post a picture of tonight's dinner as we're having hamburgers; with our own  meat mixture though.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #601 on: January 21, 2012, 05:42:09 AM
Speaking of that stuff, part of due consideration of a healthy diet is how healthily the ingredients have been grown/reared and prepared. One aspect of this is the "food miles" to which so many foodstuffs are subjected today in order that those who can afford them can have almost anything from anywhere at any time of the year; the notion of eating "seasonally" has gone out of the window (although it seems now to be making a return in some places). Where I am, you can buy excellent lamb from the locality and from nearby east Wales - and yes, it sells well - yet you can also buy it from New Zealand; why would anyone want such a product after it's travelled some 18,000km when it can be had from just around the corner? Some products have to be sourced from other countries, of course; you can't grow bananas, decent olives, citrus fruit, coffee and tea, etc., in UK (yet!) and I admit to buying butter only from France even though there's plenty of it made locally here, but that's only because what they make here is decidedly inferior.

Best,

Alistair

Yes, there is an organization around here that you can join to get your weekly groceries, including homegrown meats (which does include lamb), from local and small, family farms/farmers.  It is very seasonal, so I'm not sure exactly what they have going veggie-wise in the winter.  I am not positive the exact timing on colder crops like lettuce, chard, spinach, peas, etc., but I don't think those grow in the dead of winter, despite the fact that they can handle some snow in early Spring and in late Fall.  Anyway, I'd like to look into it, but just haven't done so yet.  I have always enjoyed the idea of my own, huge garden and to fully grow all my own food, but I don't think that's going to happen ... so, other people's farms are the next best thing, I guess :).  
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #602 on: January 21, 2012, 05:50:16 AM
Excellent ! Mouth wateringly spicy ! I can almost smell the pictures. I shan't post a picture of tonight's dinner as we're having hamburgers; with our own  meat mixture though.

hee hee ... this reminds me a little of somebody's photos I saw who was advertising his own meats (and meat mixtures), for which he said "all of our meats are vegetarian" ... haha ... I didn't know what in the world that was supposed to mean at first, until I realized that it meant that the animals who became the meat were vegetarians.  Maybe that's obvious to other people, but it wasn't to me  :P.
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #603 on: January 21, 2012, 09:18:28 AM
Okay, I've already eaten mine ... I have to admit, it was incredible, even meatless (you don't think about it for even a moment) :).  The filling was the cabbage and spinach, the mushrooms and yellow squash, one-third the caramelized onions, one bell pepper and one anahiem chili pepper, freshly chopped cilantro, ricotta cheese, some sour cream, and some pepper jack cheese.

The sauce was the tomatillos, two-thirds the caramelized onions, the rest of the roasted peppers, cumin, chipotle and chili powder, some vegetable stock ... all of that blended.  

Wow. :)  *Invites self over* ;D  They look great, and stuffed with so much stuff.  I could play while you cook--a lush backdrop for your culinary creativity. :)

And I really like your plates. :)
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #604 on: January 21, 2012, 04:43:11 PM
Large plate of ravioli and a quart of ale.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #605 on: January 21, 2012, 05:27:45 PM
Large plate of ravioli and a quart of ale.
If that's really true, how on earth do you expect to keep your weight down to what it was after the punishing but (at least in weight loss terms) successful exercise régime through which you lately put yourself?!

What was the ravioli filling? Did you make them yourself?

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #606 on: January 21, 2012, 06:53:23 PM
I need carbs for energy old chap and it is uncivilised to eat without beer.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #607 on: January 21, 2012, 07:43:44 PM
Wow. :)  *Invites self over* ;D  They look great, and stuffed with so much stuff.  I could play while you cook--a lush backdrop for your culinary creativity. :)

And I really like your plates. :)

Yeah, I had one for lunch ... they got spicier overnight, but I really like spicy!  At least so long as it's within my toleration level!  Sure, play music!  I have to admit, I am extremely proud of my enchies  ;D!  I had a concept in mind of the flavors I wanted to create, and this is very much what I had imagined, though I hadn't originally thought I was going to put sour cream in them (I forgot there was some in the fridge).  That just completed the flavors in the filling, as it really blended *so* nicely with the chipotle and helped to bring out different flavors ... plus adding a creaminess!  Also, at first I forgot to blend the toasted pumpkin seeds into the sauce, and without them it was pretty good but not quite what I had been hoping for.  But once I remembered the pumpkin seeds it really took on the flavor (and aroma!) of what I was hoping for.  I didn't realize *just* how much those add to the flavor ... now I know!

Tonight I might try some soup, though I'm not real sure what I'm expecting from that ... we'll see!  It will have some chard, turnips, sweet potatoes, some onion ... and we'll see what else.  I have some yellow split peas and some lentils that I might put in there ... hmmm ...

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #608 on: January 21, 2012, 09:06:36 PM
What was the ravioli filling?

Dunno, I will have a look at the tin ;D

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #609 on: January 21, 2012, 10:08:46 PM
Salmon and rice. But it's already gone. Yummy :D

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #610 on: January 22, 2012, 04:03:23 AM
Salmon and rice. But it's already gone. Yummy :D

mmmm ... but, if there's no photo, it didn't happen.  Just kidding  ;D.

I'm alive on vegetables!!!  I can't help posting photos of the foods I'm making ... but this time it's only two:

Some beginning soup ingredients, sauteing in a little olive oil and spices:

The finished product:

OK, it got really thick with vegetables ... heh ... and there are some yellow split peas and some brown lentils in there.  It was a very quick soup, but it's yummy, and I have this desire to live on it for days  :P.

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #611 on: January 22, 2012, 07:56:03 AM
mmmm ... but, if there's no photo, it didn't happen.  Just kidding  ;D.

I'm alive on vegetables!!!  I can't help posting photos of the foods I'm making ... but this time it's only two:

Some beginning soup ingredients, sauteing in a little olive oil and spices:

That's beautiful. :)  What did you make the broth out of?  You've got me wanting to cook again.  I love the photos.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #612 on: January 22, 2012, 07:59:56 AM
There is a new burger shop just outside my home. I'm going to try that today. I'm eating rice right now.

JL
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #613 on: January 22, 2012, 05:04:19 PM
That's beautiful. :)  What did you make the broth out of?  You've got me wanting to cook again.  I love the photos.

Yeah, I am kind of in the cooking spirit lately, though I find it tricky time-wise.  I often end up doing little parts of whatever I'm making in little intervals between practice sessions (which is also supposed to be my "exercise" opportunity, as well).  I want to try some other stuff soon.  I've got some millet and couscous around, and would like to do something with those.  

I am embarrassed to admit that I used boxed broth in the soup  :-[.  Like I said, it was a really quick soup!  I had gotten some celery and carrots and I have some bay leaves and was going to make some broth (with onions and garlic, too), but alas, I did not.  In my ideal cooking world, I'd have some homemade broths on-hand in the freezer ...

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #614 on: January 22, 2012, 07:38:29 PM
i have to be very carefuly with when to indulge the starchy goodness of the gods. i've got some of these boiling right now now for after my workout later.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #615 on: January 22, 2012, 07:52:11 PM
What the?

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #616 on: January 22, 2012, 08:02:59 PM
What the?
they're sorta like potatoes but waaaaaaaaaaaay better, i just pour olive oil on them add a bit of salt and pepper. delish.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #617 on: January 23, 2012, 06:57:39 PM
they're sorta like potatoes but waaaaaaaaaaaay better, i just pour olive oil on them add a bit of salt and pepper. delish.

I guess I can google them, but I don't quite understand what they actually are.  Are they a product of something else that gets processed and formed to look like that, or are they just some vegetable/root that is just cut (and skinned?)?  

I just ate some of the vegetable soup that I made ... oh, it was such the perfect thing at the time, though I could have heated it up a bit more.  

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #618 on: January 23, 2012, 07:13:12 PM
I guess I can google them, but I don't quite understand what they actually are.  Are they a product of something else that gets processed and formed to look like that, or are they just some vegetable/root that is just cut (and skinned?)?  

I just ate some of the vegetable soup that I made ... oh, it was such the perfect thing at the time, though I could have heated it up a bit more.  
yucca it's a starchy tuber, i.e root like a potatoe, yam, etc.  they can be a pain to peel and cut so i opt for the frozen ones, not a 'processed' food in the normally used term just 1 ingredinent, the yucca.  i use the goya mainly for convenience but i sometimes buy the normal ones in the produce market and prep them too. they're great either way.

Offline patrickd

• PS Silver Member
Reply #619 on: January 23, 2012, 07:15:02 PM
A roast beef sandwich.  ;D

Offline jollisg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #620 on: January 26, 2012, 07:16:44 PM
I'm drinking green tea. If that doesn't count as eating... I'll go picking up a spoon! ;D

Offline tombowler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #621 on: January 27, 2012, 03:19:34 PM
a Weight Watchers cake bar. Two bites and it's gone...

Offline roseamelia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #622 on: January 28, 2012, 06:28:52 PM
I'm eating Vanilla and caramel ice cream.
But Jesus looked at them and said "With man this is impossible, but with God ALL things are possible!"<br /><br />~Jesus Matthew 19:26

Offline tombowler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #623 on: January 28, 2012, 06:35:57 PM
I love ice cream, but its really cold here in England at the mo...so got a fish pie in the oven cooking away...

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #624 on: January 28, 2012, 11:31:37 PM
At the moment I am eating chips.

Offline jollisg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #625 on: January 29, 2012, 06:58:41 AM
Cashwe nuts and veggies :)

Offline sonofsteinway

• PS Silver Member
Reply #626 on: January 29, 2012, 08:18:43 AM
duck ragu. Took bloody ages and i didnt print the recipe....
Relentless walls! whose darksome round contains Repentant sighs, and voluntary pains: Ye rugged rocks! which holy knees have worn; Ye grots and caverns shagg'd with horrid thorn!

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #627 on: January 29, 2012, 08:07:14 PM
Right now, I'm especially eating a lot of life and music ... it's pretty tasty and spicy and sometimes quite lovely!  :-*

Offline tombowler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #628 on: January 29, 2012, 08:22:34 PM
Chili con carne and Weight Watchers choc mousse

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #629 on: January 29, 2012, 11:49:52 PM
Garbanzo beans.  Straight from the can.  'Cause I'm like that.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline roseamelia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #630 on: January 30, 2012, 03:04:27 PM
It's morning here so I'm eating cereal...mmmm ;D
But Jesus looked at them and said "With man this is impossible, but with God ALL things are possible!"<br /><br />~Jesus Matthew 19:26

Offline tombowler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #631 on: January 30, 2012, 03:23:39 PM
Yum Yum Yum Rose :P :P :P

Offline roseamelia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #632 on: January 30, 2012, 08:51:20 PM
just had a bologna sandwich with onions, lettuce and mustard. ( purple onions)

Offline tombowler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #633 on: January 30, 2012, 09:42:26 PM
Eating a plum while I watch Jessie Pavelka talking about obesity...

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #634 on: February 02, 2012, 07:06:05 PM
Carrot soup... and really soon I will be eating pancakes!!  :P  :P

Offline roseamelia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #635 on: February 02, 2012, 10:37:14 PM
Carrot soup... and really soon I will be eating pancakes!!  Tongue  Tongue [/quote]

I love pancakes ;P ;P never had carrot soup before.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #636 on: February 05, 2012, 09:45:06 PM
English muffin pizzas.  Soon....

*Bob wonders if "English" muffins are really English at all.*
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline patrickd

• PS Silver Member
Reply #637 on: February 18, 2012, 07:31:04 PM
A mango ;D.

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #638 on: February 19, 2012, 01:09:28 AM
A 30 cm diameter burger, some fries, coke and desert.

JL

Offline flyinfingers

Reply #639 on: February 19, 2012, 04:31:01 AM
Buffalo Rib eye on the grill, roasted potatoes with parsley, roasted eggplant (which was salted and drained for one hour), roasted aspargus and roasted mushrooms.  NO BREAD!  Empty calories and we certainly don't drink soda (no offense to all of you soda drinkers out there.)  

I saw on TV today that Bernie Madoff is in federal prison in N.C.  They play tennis, bocce, work out, and it's like a college campus with dorms named after colleges, nestle into beds with tvs!  They are living in a prison of luxury!  They drink SODAS at the taxpayers' expense!   I couldn't bear to watch anymore.
I wear my heart on my sleeve.  Don't touch my shirt!  Coined by yours truly, flyinfingers

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #640 on: February 26, 2012, 03:35:57 AM
Ah gawd, so hungry ... *eats nearly raw zucchini squash*  :-X

Do you know that I am starting to crave meat ... uh oh, that goes against me (but it's the diet and now my body craves it!).  I did not get enough of it today.  And I'll tell you another thing that I started big time craving ... butternut squash soup.  Oh man ... I missed it when it was gone  :'( ... on a deep level.

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #641 on: February 26, 2012, 08:15:00 AM

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #642 on: February 26, 2012, 06:59:52 PM

Roast dinner, cooked by mummy.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #643 on: February 26, 2012, 08:25:33 PM
That looks really scrumptious Thal, especially those little Yorkshire puds. I am very fond of Yorkshire pudding.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #644 on: February 26, 2012, 08:36:25 PM
Were it not for the distance between us Ted, we could swap dinners.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline costicina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #645 on: February 26, 2012, 09:24:55 PM
 8) I'm very relieved, Thal. I was afraid you were eating  only crudités in the intervals between miles and miles of merciless biking....

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #646 on: February 26, 2012, 10:27:47 PM
I have cut down a bit. No beer with the roast today.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #647 on: February 27, 2012, 10:33:32 AM
I have cut down a bit. No beer with the roast today.
Very wise of you, too. Fine ale's all very well for those who enjoy it (just as it's the very opposite for those whose profound distaste for it feels akin to an allergy), but it does little to aid the digestion; a decent wine would be far more sensible.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #648 on: February 27, 2012, 12:05:24 PM
What wine would you suggest for next Sunday's roast??

Preferably something I can get in Tescos.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #649 on: February 27, 2012, 01:00:18 PM
What wine would you suggest for next Sunday's roast??

Preferably something I can get in Tescos.
Since I have no idea what you will be eating on that occasion and since I know nothing of your wine preferences and am no authority on what Tescos stock (why Tescos in particular anyway?), I fear that I am unable to answer your question.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert