Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: How are you doing right now ?  (Read 47396 times)

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Re: How are you doing right now ?
Reply #500 on: August 26, 2011, 08:18:11 AM
hee hee ... thanks for the concern, but not short, as it turns out.  I walked in there feeling almost certain I wanted to go short again, but through my session came to realize that what I really wanted were certain features that my hair dresser knew how to achieve, while keeping length, too!  I really liked my hair short because of certain factors, but with this new cut and the styling possibilities, I love my new length/hairdo more than I ever have in my life!  For example, she needed to thin it quite a bit to give it a particular shape and workability ... it looks much better than that sounds!  I'm really excited because I feel like it fits my personality to a T! :)  I never knew I could do with my hair what she did to it, even though I have wanted certain things for a really long time!  

Now I kind of want to grow it super long again :).

I'm glad you like your new cut. :)  

Super long, ooooooh!  But I also liked it when it was short. :)    
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #501 on: August 26, 2011, 07:01:23 PM
That's wonderful! :) I guess the violin is for you like the cello for me :) (hmmm I guess something went wrong with it, I really need to call the violinmaker who still has it :P )

Hey!  How could you forget your cello somewhere?  ;D >:( ;D  Sometime I would *love* hear you play.  Do you think you would ever record something for us ... or play on justin.tv?  Now always I think of how to do something on there!

Do you find that you can relate things between piano and cello?
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #502 on: August 26, 2011, 07:12:48 PM
Hey!  How could you forget your cello somewhere?  ;D >:( ;D  Sometime I would *love* hear you play.  Do you think you would ever record something for us ... or play on justin.tv?  Now always I think of how to do something on there!

Do you find that you can relate things between piano and cello?

:-[

Sure I'd love to revive it. I sometimes miss the direct contact with the string, the sound, the tone. You can play one note on a string instrument and it can be like playing a whole cosmos of notes :)

I'd need a few months to get back to where I was back then, I think. Like always it's a problem of time.

I remember the time when I was intensely practicing both instruments, in my late teens and early twenties. I could relate them inwardly, but when I switched from one to the other I needed physically some time to warm up on the other. It was like needing to change the whole approach. But I'm sure that it was very important for my piano path to also have a strong relationship with a string instrument! :) Especially I very much appreciate that I had so many opportunities to play the cello in school and amateur orchestras, I think that this was fundamentally important to me, together with the particular social experiences! :)

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #503 on: August 26, 2011, 08:26:11 PM
I wanna hear Wolfi play cello too!!!!!!!!!  8)

And I also want to learn to play cello someday too!  :P

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #504 on: August 26, 2011, 08:31:53 PM
I wanna hear Wolfi play cello too!!!!!!!!!  8)

Believe me, that wouldn't be a very pleasuring experience, right now  :P :-[

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #505 on: August 26, 2011, 08:37:12 PM
Believe me, that would'nt be a very pleasuring experience, right now  :P :-[

Well it would be for sure better than listening to me play the recorder now  :-X  :P ... or even the piano sometimes  :(  :P  :D

Offline hastur

• PS Silver Member
Reply #506 on: August 28, 2011, 02:59:23 AM
I'm pondering a violin or viola minor when I get my ass to college.. : )
My current to-do list:
* Yann Tiersen
~ La Valse d'Amélie
* Beethoven
~ "Pathétique" II. Adagio
* Petzold
Menuet in G minor (BWV 115)
* Satie
- Gymnopédie No. 3

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #507 on: August 29, 2011, 12:42:39 AM
I'm pondering a violin or viola minor

Woo!

I'm currently brainstorming about my choir class, which is for sure happening!  It looks like for sure I've got 4 classes, which is cool, and I'm trying to talk them into a 5th  :).  I'm pretty excited  ;D.
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline hastur

• PS Silver Member
Reply #508 on: August 29, 2011, 02:00:32 AM
I'm currently brainstorming about my choir class, which is for sure happening!  It looks like for sure I've got 4 classes, which is cool, and I'm trying to talk them into a 5th  :).  I'm pretty excited  ;D.

Sounds like you'll be mighty busy pretty soon! : D I'm so happy for you, must be nice. : ) I've got my college plans delayed for a year, but on the other hand it'll give me time to work out a decent savings account for when I start, so shouldn't be too bad. ; )

Edit: Super stoked about my End of 2011 Goal (tm), the adagio movement of Beethoven's Pathétique!
My current to-do list:
* Yann Tiersen
~ La Valse d'Amélie
* Beethoven
* Petzold
* Satie
- Gymnopédie No. 3

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #509 on: August 29, 2011, 02:28:55 AM
Sounds like you'll be mighty busy pretty soon! : D I'm so happy for you, must be nice. : )

Yes and no.  I was mighty busy last year with just private students, and mighty busy the year before that w/private students and a different teaching gig I had, too.  This year won't necessarily be any "busier" just because of the classes (and maybe a little less in strictly teaching, actually, in some ways, than the two years before this).  Those only meet once a week, and 5 hours is not an unusual teaching day for me!  All it really means is that I can be more picky in my private studio (at least that's the ... "plan") and that there will be a bit more financial reliability in the household.  Also, I get to be out of the house and doing something different once a week, too, and actually "making music" with groups of people!  And, it *appears* that none of the Monday classes went (high schoolers), so that means I'm going to push my schedule (my private students, included) to have Mondays off from teaching and as a practice and possibly travel day.  Thanks for your well wishes!

I hope your year goes as you'd like!  Why did college get delayed?  Don't feel you have to answer if it's too personal, I'm just interested :).

Offline hastur

• PS Silver Member
Reply #510 on: August 29, 2011, 02:58:48 AM
I hope your year goes as you'd like!  Why did college get delayed?  Don't feel you have to answer if it's too personal, I'm just interested :).

I hope so, too! The delay is part my fault for forgetting to apply to a few of my cram school choices (in preparation for college). Effectively meaning I'll have to wait until next year before I can apply again.

I just posted this on my tumblr, but I'll paste it here as it's kind of relevant;

Quote from: hastur
Original Post at: https://thestarsareright.tumblr.com/post/9529979324/beethoven

Hmmm… I should probably ask my piano teacher to have me play some of Beethoven’s easier pieces instead of kabalevsky after thursday’s lesson. So I can familiarize myself with Beethoven in preparation of starting my work on the grande sonata; Sonata Op. 13 No. 2 in C minor Pathétique, Mvt. II. Adagio Cantabile

Thinking Russian Folk Song and the Sonatina in G would be good candidates.
My current to-do list:
* Yann Tiersen
~ La Valse d'Amélie
* Beethoven
* Petzold
* Satie
- Gymnopédie No. 3

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #511 on: August 29, 2011, 04:08:32 AM
I'm pondering a violin or viola minor when I get my ass to college.. : )

Do learn to play the violin, it's a wonderful instrument!   :)
Yesterday was the day that passed,
Today is the day I live and love,Tomorrow is day of hope and promises...

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #512 on: August 29, 2011, 12:00:30 PM
This fox seems pretty happy.  Haha.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2e7_1314596033
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #513 on: August 29, 2011, 07:08:15 PM
Bob, Bob, Bob.

WOO!  It's almost completely official!  I have five courses:  2 pianos, 1 violin, 1 General Music, and 1 Choir.  I'm pretty happy.  In fact I'm smiling right now as I type this!  One day only, which is great!  Shove off of Mondays, private students, because that's MY day  ;D.  Okay, I'm still going to probably teach at least one (flexible) person on Mondays ... :).

I have been studying laws and preparing for my test, and researching various things for my classes ... but, not sleeping great for extra thoughts going into the new experience!  It feels new, yet natural, all at the same time.  AND, I've got a couple of new private students signing on who are going to be pretty good little students, as I've already raised the standard as a condition of them signing on!  AND, I've applied to become a "vendor" for the school (though I've already been unofficially invited to be one by the Principal) and I've revamped my studio courses program, I may be offering some singing and violin classes from home, soon (we'll see how it goes, that might be *too* much).  POW!

*bring it*

*runs to piano*

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #514 on: August 29, 2011, 07:35:29 PM
m1469 that sounds really great :) Congratulations! And good luck with your new fields of activity! :)
 8)

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #515 on: August 29, 2011, 08:02:20 PM
Bob, Bob, Bob.

*Composes very rhythmical Bob, Bob, Bob rap in his mind*

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #516 on: August 29, 2011, 08:02:54 PM
Thanks, Wolfi!  I am the most happy because of what it may mean for me pianistically, and then "stress-wise" too.  I feel like how things are seeming to start to be right now, at least I can have a little more breathing space for the next year.  I'm sure I'll get nervous when it's time to re-register for classes in 5 months, and the school may honestly disappear into thin air next school year (and I might move away anyway?  :-), but for now, it's a right step, it seems!  And, I'm trying very much to learn in life right now how to think in steps!  Of course my mind is always trying to plan, but eventually I'm learning to understand that steps lead where they lead, and not necessarily where I plan them!  And, life has a mind of its own, besides that!  So, for now, I'm just grateful for exactly it.

*hears Wolfi playing Cello*  ;D

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #517 on: August 29, 2011, 08:21:48 PM
I hear you on the cello subject  ;D
And I hear you on the "Steps" subject too. There's a lot of wisdom in your words! :) I hope so much, that life will allow you also to plan, according to your plans, according to your ideas! I'll keep my thumbs crossed. :)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #518 on: August 30, 2011, 07:19:53 AM
I appreciate your meaning so much.  I am laying under my covers, tired but not able to sleep, all full of thoughts.  Okay, after writing something ridiculous and then erasing it, I'm about to fall asleep.       

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #519 on: September 02, 2011, 09:01:42 PM
I am sooo tired and sleepy and I would really need to practice at least a little today! Ohhh I have to try! We had to take my little bird to the vet today because she was throwing up!  :-\  The vet said she probably doesn't get enough iodine (I hope that's the right word!) so he gave her antibiotics and iodine. And he said that she lookes healthy otherwise.
And the vet is really nice and cute  :P  :P but my bird didn't like him all that much cause he was holding her for a long time and she got all scared and nervous and even when he put her back in the cage she was still nervous and shaking, because she doesn't let people touch her (not even us), but then after awhile she calmed down and she looks happy again.
I don't know why I'm writing so much I have to go practice and sleep!!!  ::)  :)

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #520 on: September 13, 2011, 08:29:58 PM
I'm really worried and afraid!! Because my doggy is having surgery tomorrow morning!  :( She has tumors on her breasts (if that's how it's called in dogs too), and they will also remove her ovaries because the tumors are because of the hormones and she always had problems with hormones. I wanted to go to sleep now already cause I was tired and sleepy but then I couldn't sleep cause I got so nervous cause I started thinking about the surgery and my doggy was lying beside me and I remembered that I'm so afraid....  :-\ OHhhhhhhhhh

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #521 on: September 15, 2011, 08:21:38 PM
Well yesterday was a really really scary and difficult day!!! I can't even describe it!! From 9 am till 4. 30 pm we didn't really know what's with our doggy! Because the surgery was more difficult than they first thought, so it lasted for a longer time and then when a lady (from the reception, not a doctor) called my mum she just said that the surgery was successful for now, but that it was very bad, and that we couldn't see our doggy till 5pm. I really don't know how I survived that. Then we came there a little earlier (at about 4. 30) cause we couldn't wait anymore, and  I was soooo scared when we were going inside, and then the doctor saw us and she seemed all happy and my mum asked if it was very bad and she said that it wasn't (I wish she called us not that lady!) And then she went to get my doggy and she was so happy to see us even though she was still very sleepy. And I was soooo happy too to see my doggy and my mum was too of course. And then the doctor explained everything and then we went to buy special food for dogs who are recovering and some treats and all that (cause the store is in the same building as the vet)... and I thought while we were buying all that with my mum that we were there for a really long time and that my dad who was waiting outside could be worried if he didn't see us come out with our doggy and go into the store. And he really didn't see us and he was really worried (even more then I thoght he would be). So when we finally bought everything and came out, my dad looked like he was going to cry when he saw me holding our doggy! (I didn't really know he cared that much!). But he got up and called her and he sounded like he was going to cry and then he kissed her and then he even wiped his eyes a little.  :)  8)
And then we went home and she was very thirsty and she was drinking really a lot and she even got up and was awake for about an hour and she went to the bathroom, but mostly she was sleeping, and then once she started shaking cause she was cold and then in the middle of the night she was hot and me and my mum were sitting outside with her (at like 4 am), and me and my mum were sleeping beside her all night. And today at first she didn't want to drink and eat at all, but in the evening she ate a little :) and the doctor said everything was healing nicely, and she didn't have fever, and she was walking really well already and when we came home from the doctor she even jumped onto the chair when we weren't looking (cause she's not supposed to be jumping yet). And now she is sleeping here beside me :)

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #522 on: September 15, 2011, 08:51:14 PM
pheeeww O.o But that sounds like after all rather good news! :)

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #523 on: September 17, 2011, 07:04:54 PM
pheeeww O.o But that sounds like after all rather good news! :)

Yes for now it's getting better every day...  :) I hope something doesn't go wrong!!!!!
Well it was a lot more difficult surgery because she didn't only have tumors or cysts on her breasts (like they first thought) but she also had them on her ovaries (well on one ovary she had three cysts) and in her uterus and I think somewhere else on those organs (but I'm not completely sure) and she also had infection in her uterus so she had pus in it, and that can be VERY dangerous because if it gets into the blood it infects the blood too and that is VERY VERY dangerous! And then it also went from those organs also on the something I'm not sure exactly what's it called in English, but it's where the digested food is and then goes out of the body, so she had also three cysts there  :o  :( so it was pretty bad!!! But the doctor said she thought she removed everything and that it should be ok, because all of this started because of the stupid hormones, but now she doesn't have the things that are making the hormones so..... it should be ok!!!!! I reallly hope so!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hormones and ovaries are evil!!!!!!!!!!  :o  >:( It's better to remove them when a dog or a cat is still a puppy. I wonder if I could get mine removed too!  :P

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #524 on: October 04, 2011, 07:30:24 PM
Honestly, a little meh right now.  I have about an hour and a half before I will teach for the rest of the day and into the evening, I have hoards to do, one, single thing I WANT to do (but can't have as a first priority), and the biggest priority *needing* to be that I practice and learn my opera stuff - to be memorized by first rehearsal next Monday (and I have barely even begun).  I have managed to procrastinate plenty of time away, avoiding doing the vocal work, wishing badly I could just practice piano instead ... though getting some other chores done (since being "productive" is a very nice procrastination method) ... and I don't know why I'm like this!  meh.

I guess it's time to ... do what I'm supposed to do.  Ok, at least I did some cleaning, but I could've put in a couple of hours of vocal/opera work, then practiced piano for a couple of hours, too, but no, instead I procrastinated, wallowing in feelings and endless mind-stagnations ... like I'm doing right now, in fact ...

*tries to leave*

*still trying*

*meh*

*off*

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #525 on: October 04, 2011, 07:32:41 PM
meh.  still here.

Offline sunshine_keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #526 on: October 04, 2011, 08:02:34 PM
Pretty great actually! Going to go check out this other house and give a price for cleaning it! yay for getting more money!!
<3

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #527 on: October 05, 2011, 03:56:27 PM
I am doing well enough.  I am making Easter eggs ... so I don't have to sing  ;D.

(in reality, though, I am just making boiled eggs and I am actually going to get singing very, very soon.  Not right this moment nor the next, and maybe not for the next half hour after this ... but, soon.  Real soon.  Or, at least soon enough...   ...   ... <-----  That is borderline morse code)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #528 on: October 06, 2011, 12:26:21 AM
Oh yeah... *Bob recalls those eggs in the fridge from ... this year?*  I'm sure they're not good anymore.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #529 on: October 06, 2011, 03:56:19 PM
Well, geez, I'm having such a silly time adjusting to being a singer.  The truth is, I actually DO want to sing, but some major part of me is in major resistance to putting it first - EVEN though I am intellectually able to reason out that if I really put it first this week, I'll get the work done and things can become more normal again - and, as well, if I really put in the work, I'll still be able to do some piano practicing, too!  But, the pianist part of me thinks that once I put singing first for even awhile or for something specific (as in, not indefinitely), it will just stay like that for the rest of my life and one day I'll wake up and hate myself and loathe my life and 40 years will have passed with me not practicing the piano, always intending to get back to it (I was truly on that track a few years back, so I know it can happen!).  Yeah, that's how it feels.  I only squoze out about half-hour of honest vocal practice yesterday and basically nothing of any other true practice on piano (or violin)  ... that's not going to work (though I'm also trying to take this time to reason through some major concepts, but still!).  

Okay - today is going to be different!  I declare!

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #530 on: October 07, 2011, 04:00:30 PM
Well, geez, I'm having such a silly time adjusting to being a singer.  The truth is, I actually DO want to sing, but some major part of me is in major resistance to putting it first - EVEN though I am intellectually able to reason out that if I really put it first this week, I'll get the work done and things can become more normal again - and, as well, if I really put in the work, I'll still be able to do some piano practicing, too!  But, the pianist part of me thinks that once I put singing first for even awhile or for something specific (as in, not indefinitely), it will just stay like that for the rest of my life and one day I'll wake up and hate myself and loathe my life and 40 years will have passed with me not practicing the piano, always intending to get back to it (I was truly on that track a few years back, so I know it can happen!).  Yeah, that's how it feels.  I only squoze out about half-hour of honest vocal practice yesterday and basically nothing of any other true practice on piano (or violin)  ... that's not going to work (though I'm also trying to take this time to reason through some major concepts, but still!).  

Okay - today is going to be different!  I declare!

Why not *melt* the pianist with the singer, at some points? You did it already several (wonderful) times. Maybe those two just want to unite in some way :) Perhaps they are longing for each other? Perhaps they want to be as close as possible? :)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #531 on: October 07, 2011, 05:10:29 PM
Why not *melt* the pianist with the singer, at some points? You did it already several (wonderful) times. Maybe those two just want to unite in some way :) Perhaps they are longing for each other? Perhaps they want to be as close as possible? :)

Thanks, Wolfi.  Yes, I do plan to develop some pieces which I have already begun, where I am indeed formally singing and playing at once.  That will be a Summer project, most likely.  More deeply, I do believe that ultimately there is the same source in me (and everybody) with singing and playing, and in a sense they are already melded, and my "developing" and growing in a formal way is a kind of digging more deeply to where they already meet.  In concept, I would wish for that source to be more usable for me, especially while I am playing the piano (though while I am singing, too).

But, here is a fact about my life that I just can't seem to escape:  If I am not playing, and actually studying the piano and literature, my life develops a crisis in such a way that I actually can't function - especially if I am not studying because other things are "forcing" that upon me, rather than me just needing a little space or a break or such.  This actually began happening this past week and at first I didn't recognize it for what it was, but between my new job, teaching in general, and then singing needing to be a big priority, I kept trying to prioritize piano in back of those ... with the idea that it would be only for a time and then it'd shift again and all would be well.  But, that is the thing, there will always be endless reasons not to practice piano - always.  And, once you let it go, it can easily just take second, third, last place to millions of other things.  That's not inherently bad, of course, as for some people that's just fine ... for me, it's just not.  I suppose it didn't altogether hurt for me to feel that again, to be reminded of it in an acute way.  And, I will need to make a further shift back in that direction or another crisis will occur soon  :P.

During very heavy piano times I sometimes do miss singing, sometimes even deeply - but I can generally still function despite those things, at least that has been my experience so far.  I can't say I can envision my life without it, but day to day is not fully disturbed in the same way that it is when the piano is missing from my life.  So, I feel that piano must remain the base, and it can't be small - we have big lives to live!

Sometimes I feel I might need to explore singing while I play even Classical pieces, despite my desire to keep the pure sound of piano alone.  But, I do feel there is a connection and sometimes when I sing my pieces along with playing, it is a great help to even overcoming challenges. 

In any event, I would like to keep singing Opera and Art Songs, I would like to keep playing Classical Music for solo piano, I'd like to keep improvising, composing, and exploring piano and voice combinations ... as well as whatever else develops truly.  But, a very pure sense of piano must. always. be. the base.  always.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #532 on: October 08, 2011, 01:59:12 AM

Oh, I just understood this better, sorry.  I had thought that maybe you were indicating that I should do that permanently as "my thing" (my only thing), but I see what you mean now and you may be exactly right.  Thanks for the suggestion :).

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #533 on: October 08, 2011, 10:41:58 AM
Oh, I just understood this better, sorry.  I had thought that maybe you were indicating that I should do that permanently as "my thing" (my only thing), but I see what you mean now and you may be exactly right.  Thanks for the suggestion :).

Yes I meant "at some points" :)

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #534 on: October 08, 2011, 05:46:29 PM
I'm having this weird cold... it started I think more than a week ago but then it looked like it disappeared but sometimes I would still start sneezing a lot and I was tired the whole week but now I think it got worse again! But it's not that bad just a little annoying.
My mum and me were trying to get the aquarium filter to work all afternoon!!  ::) Now it looks like it's working... for now... but we'll see... and because of that I couldn't practice piano at all!! I mean I'll go practice now but I can only practice on keyboard now cause it's too late already!

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #535 on: October 09, 2011, 01:50:20 AM
Well, I (and my duet partner) just got back from a coaching for my upcoming Opera stuff.  First of all, we are going to rock  ;D.  Second of all, it was *almost* fun - I'm going to be cramming like mad over the next 48 hours, and then, *hopefully* I can get things back on track and enjoy the singing part of my life a bit more (after Monday's rehearsal).  My classes at the school are finding their legs, and I have hope about what's to come.  I have hope, I have hope, I have hope (that I can return to numerous hours of piano practice each day ... SOON).  

*plans for a long night and loooonnnggg day tomorrow*

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #536 on: October 09, 2011, 05:15:25 PM
I am actually posting about singing again, and it's out of excitement!  Yesterday was the first time I've sung with who will be my duet partner, and she has an A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. voice!  I've never sung with her before, and she is the first person I've sung with who I feel I can probably truly use my full voice with (though yesterday I was still holding back to test the waters)!  She is a true mezzo soprano with a big, rich voice - and going into the audition I wasn't sure who I would be paired with (maybe somebody like 12 years younger than me) or even what voice part they'd have me doing (sometimes I've sung mezzo soprano, which is never as comfortable nor fulfilling for me).  It's going to take everything in my power to pay attention to what I'm supposed to be doing in our scenes, and not to just sit there staring at her in awe while she's singing ... haha.  I was actually getting goose bumps yesterday!  I plan to have our duets videoed and hopefully can post them :).  We are doing the "flower duet" from Madama Butterfly and a scene from Suor Angelica!  WooT!  ;D

*OK, must drag my feet through the music-learning process, please*

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #537 on: October 09, 2011, 06:34:39 PM
I love Suor Angelica, at least that one aria I accompanied a long time ago gave me goose bumps. Looking forward to your video! :)

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #538 on: October 09, 2011, 08:39:06 PM
I hope you really post it m1469!! I can't wait!  8)  :P

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #539 on: October 09, 2011, 08:51:30 PM
I love Suor Angelica, at least that one aria I accompanied a long time ago gave me goose bumps. Looking forward to your video! :)

Yeah, it's a great scene!  My partner has some ultra cool stuff in there, as do I!  WOOT!

I hope you really post it m1469!! I can't wait!  8)  :P

Yeah, I really will unless for some reason the video doesn't happen correctly.  But, I'll try to have a number of them taken so that there are choices and options.  Last year, unfortunately, it didn't even get fully recorded a single time  :(, as the single attempt failed.  Silly.  But, this year will be different!  The performances are November 12 and 13th  ;D.

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #540 on: October 09, 2011, 09:08:43 PM
Well I know it's kinda stupid but I'm really afraid of music theory tomorrow!! Like I kinda wish I didn't have to go! I just feel like a fail after last Monday when I made sooo many mistakes in rhythmic dictations  :(  ::) This is a picture of them!  :-[ But I'm not exactly sure what's with the second measure in the first one  :-\ I think the teacher made a mistake too when she was correcting it  :-\ I don't know... I just couldn't concentrate..... I also know the teacher was saying something about that we will be paying differently for music theory this year... but I just don't really know what she said...  :-\

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #541 on: October 10, 2011, 02:10:56 AM
haha ... Littletune, those are tricky for dictations at your age!

Oh man, I *just* "finished" Madama Butterfly and now I've got the entire Suor Angelica ... AAAAaaaaaaaaa ... I need a second wind *badly*

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #542 on: October 10, 2011, 08:21:05 PM
Oh today was sooo much better at music theory!!  :P
Well I had two mistakes at melodic dictation, cause I thought it was a third in the beginning but it was after the second note. But the rythmic dicatations were really easy because we started learning about those notes that are three for one quarter note (I can't find what they're called in English)... and so the dictations were soooo easy cause we only just started learning that  :P and i also didn't have any mistakes at intervals!  :) So I'm happy about that!!  :)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #543 on: October 10, 2011, 09:21:35 PM
Oh today was sooo much better at music theory!!  :P
Well I had two mistakes at melodic dictation, cause I thought it was a third in the beginning but it was after the second note. But the rythmic dicatations were really easy because we started learning about those notes that are three for one quarter note (I can't find what they're called in English)... and so the dictations were soooo easy cause we only just started learning that  :P and i also didn't have any mistakes at intervals!  :) So I'm happy about that!!  :)

Congrats!

I'm in ultra quiet mode and am not speaking or anything, having just finished rehearsing with my duet partner for this evening's rehearsal ... heh ... it's strange to go physically silent and in my entire being, yet still type as though I have this inner voice.  Hello, everybody, I'm talking to you from deep, deep inside  ;D ... does it have a different sound?   :o

I'm off-book for one and probably definitely won't be for the other ... I've still got about 3.5 hours to study the operas themselves (because I have to know a bunch of stuff related to it) and translate and work on the text alone ... (which is supposed to also be memorized).  I know that this whole thing is supposed to be to help developing professionals, and so the expectations are put on us as we would have as a professional, but at the same time, I'm actually paying to be doing this and was seriously considering NOT doing this because I knew it would be like this.  I think I'll ultimately enjoy it and will probably grow, but I also am doing this in big part to help the program get off the ground ... so, I guess I'm just going to do the best I can.

I did have quite a wonderful time in my piano practice this morning :), and tomorrow I won't sing even a little and will just practice only piano until I teach ... which is an hour later for a Tuesday than last week  :) ... I can't wait.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #544 on: October 11, 2011, 02:17:07 AM
 :-\  Ich bin nicht gut gefeelin.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #545 on: October 11, 2011, 05:30:18 AM
:-  Ich bin nicht gut gefeelin.

uh ach!

Well, I survived my first rehearsal, what a relief to have that over and done with.  Very supportive individuals running the show.  We didn't have to do half the stuff I thought we'd have to do, and my least favorite stuff (singing in gibberish and improv. acting/singing) I at least did OK in, and could tell I wasn't the only one who felt silly.  I don't think it's a good idea if I ignore singing this week, though  :P.

I was nervous before we started and I got there about 11 minutes early, and so I sat down to the big giant beautiful Baldwin and played Chopin's 25/1, which I have been still working on consistently :).  And, there was a little audience and a couple of them said "look at her hands"  ;D, because the piano was like butter and I felt super relaxed and connected with it.  And, they even clapped when I was done and I felt SO much better after I played because it released my inner self and I wasn't even nervous to be actually playing and knowing that people were listening.  And one guy said "I guess that was ookkk" when I was done and while he was clapping, like it was a joke for him to say that!  It was fun :).

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #546 on: October 17, 2011, 08:18:46 PM
Well right now my head hurts! It started hurting when I was going to my music theory and I was waiting for a bus. Oh well... and I'm tired too! And I wanted to write about some nice and happy things but I'll wait till I feel a little better  :)

Oh m1469 I'm glad that your rehearsal went so great! :)  8)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #547 on: October 21, 2011, 03:01:55 PM
Well right now my head hurts! It started hurting when I was going to my music theory and I was waiting for a bus. Oh well... and I'm tired too! And I wanted to write about some nice and happy things but I'll wait till I feel a little better  :)

Oh m1469 I'm glad that your rehearsal went so great! :)  8)

Thanks, and I hope your head is feeling better by now!

I'm slightly bummed ... because I got fed up with my bangs and decided to cut them myself -which is not unusual- and I accidentally got carried away and now half my face/head looks like a boy.  Oh well ...

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #548 on: October 21, 2011, 09:03:44 PM
Thanks! Yes my head is ok now  :)

Oh you know I sometimes cut my hair by myself too... the ones in front (that's probably bangs right?) and for awhile I was cutting the hair at the top of my head too  :P because I wanted to have half girl half boy haircut... because I wanted to have long hair but I also wanted to have short hair at the top of my head because I liked the way sometimes some hairs are sticking in the air when someone has short hair....  :P so I wanted that too but i also wanted long hair.... so I was cutting the hair on the top of my head and then everyone was always angry like: oh nooo you have been cutting your hair again weren't you?! Stop doing that cause it looks stupid! So now I'm not doing that anymore but maybe someday I'll feel like it again.  :P

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #549 on: October 22, 2011, 04:08:44 AM
I'm pretty sure you just described a mullet  ;D ... I've heard it described as "business in the front, party in the back."  haha.  
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert