Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: How are you doing right now ?  (Read 47369 times)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Re: How are you doing right now ?
Reply #600 on: November 30, 2011, 10:04:23 PM
*trying to stop interrupting everything else (practicing) and instead obsessively looking for my birth certificate*  >:(

I FOUND IT!!!  Woot!  It was in a folder in a drawer (full of other folders and "important" papers) which I had looked through countless other times already.  But, out of desperation, I prayed honestly and found myself going to that drawer, yet again, in which a folder had snagged on the drawer above it, and upon wrestling the snag away, the drawer wiggled and the folder just popped open and there was my birth certificate, just staring me in the face!  Coincidence?  I don't know :).

Well, about three hours of my life down the drain -and several serendipitous other finds in the process of searching high and low- later, I can now stop obsessing over my birth certificate and move forward with practicing (and my life) for half an hour  :P.  I have a cancellation for an hour and 15 mins today, though, so I'll get a bit more practicing in then!

I just saw my voice teacher yesterday and the day before for the first time in about a year ... hmmmm ... I almost thought I was going to New York soon, but that's not happening as far as I know anytime soon, yet.  I can't process certain things, but I will say it appears I'm getting my act together for the competition.  At least a little.  I've actually nailed down my 5 arias and have put 4 of them in a special binder, with the Embroidery Aria on its way in the mail ... I just have to fill out the application and get the rest of my official stuff together ... and then, learn and re-learn the stuff ... and then I guess it's going to happen.  hmmm...

*runs to piano*

I actually did cry when I found my birth certificate ... OK, just a few tears.

*25/6 ... come to Mamma*  ;D :-*  And then, in my break, the Appassionata is mine :).
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #601 on: November 30, 2011, 11:18:02 PM
On my mind is nicotine.

Have not had a ciggie for well over 3 years, but now I am trying to get off the lozenges which one is only supposed to take for a maximum of 2 months.

Now, I am suffering all the withdrawal symptoms again. which include pins and needles, dry mouth, irritability and the urge to machine gun my work colleagues.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #602 on: December 01, 2011, 06:54:48 AM
On my mind is nicotine.

Have not had a ciggie for well over 3 years, but now I am trying to get off the lozenges which one is only supposed to take for a maximum of 2 months.

Now, I am suffering all the withdrawal symptoms again. which include pins and needles, dry mouth, irritability and the urge to machine gun my work colleagues.
That's a shame. Sorry to hear that - and good luck in sorting it out. The only useful thing about nicotine these days is the exercise that one would get in walking here and there in order to get to a place where it's legal to light up and, since you've already losts so much weight anyway, I don't see that as being of any practical use to you, so I cannot think of a good reason for that stuff to be on your mind!

You could always substitute those thoughts with some about that woman pianist about whom you wrote yesterday...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #603 on: December 01, 2011, 08:22:08 AM
The only useful thing about nicotine these days is the exercise that one would get in walking here and there in order to get to a place where it's legal to light up

HAHA, that is true. In your part of the World, I would think one could burn considerable calories walking to somewhere that sells them as well.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #604 on: December 01, 2011, 09:37:20 AM
HAHA, that is true. In your part of the World, I would think one could burn considerable calories walking to somewhere that sells them as well.
Very possibly so! - and that's another bit of exercise that I never take!

Of course, the attitudes both to smoking in public places and legislation against doing so France are very different; not for nothing did someone recently quip that "défense de fumer" translates into English as "defence of smoking"!...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #605 on: December 01, 2011, 12:55:17 PM
How I'm doing....?  Hum,  have only 3 piano students, down from having over 10 students.
Is has been discouraging to get more students due to them quitting most of the time.  I hope some day more students will come along but right now I'm redirecting my attention to my artwork. 
Yesterday was the day that passed,
Today is the day I live and love,Tomorrow is day of hope and promises...

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #606 on: December 04, 2011, 07:16:54 PM
I am sooooooooo tired......... I really NEED holidays NOW!!!! In the last two weeks I had soo much things for school and I had to translate 12 pages of something about sick newborn babies  :-\  :-\  :-\ I mean I didn't really HAVE to but I promised I would... so I had to... so I didn't even have time to practice piano yesterday at all!  :o  :-\ and today I'm so tired I just feel like screaming and throwing things around for every little stupid thing that's not the way I want.  :-\  ::)
Oh well... I think I should get a little sick to get a little rest!  :P Oh and I will tell my math teacher on Tuesday that there is no way I'm having one more math test in two weeks.....!!! (just before Christmas!) It's just too much!!! I can have it in January for both December and January!  >:(  :P
Oh and I was eating sooo much sweets again! I think my brain really needs a lot of sugar when it has to work so hard!  :P

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #607 on: December 04, 2011, 07:39:55 PM
I am sooooooooo tired......... I really NEED holidays NOW!!!!

Me too. I promised Dougs we would go away the week after next.

Not sure where yet.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #608 on: December 04, 2011, 07:43:28 PM
Me too. I promised Dougs we would go away the week after next.

Not sure where yet.

Thal
Oh I hope you'll post pictures from wherever you'll go!!!  :P  8)

Offline jollisg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #609 on: December 04, 2011, 09:11:29 PM
I'm soo stressed out..
This is the things I'm facing the following weeks:
Practicing sooo many new pieces on the piano
Keep my "old" repertoire alive
Working on my organ repertoire (pieces + chorales)
I have two days to practice an accompaniment on the piano and a total new chorale on the organ
oboe pieces to practice

And that's the music... now comes the school stuff..
I have, in the following weeks;
Math exam, physics exam, chemistry exam, programming exam, swedish exam, english exam and german exam.

Why can't one day have at least... 30 hours?  :-\

Offline pianoplayjl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #610 on: December 08, 2011, 11:38:10 AM
My holidays just started...

Thinking about what Christmas present I want. Currently thinking Dogtag and a book.

JL
Funny? How? How am I funny?

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #611 on: December 09, 2011, 06:52:07 AM
I am seemingly very close to permitting myself to walk on a cloud, we're talking a mega cloud, for an indefinite period in my life.  Don't worry, work is not absent on that cloud, even that is elevated there.  :) <----- that's from my heart.   
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #612 on: December 09, 2011, 07:00:00 AM
Topo Gigio still wanders the house undisturbed.  Don't know what to do.  The cage with a morsel of provolone still remains open and untouched.  I thought mice liked cheese.  You know what?  I have to get a cat.  We've had cats ever since we moved out here.  After the last one passed over we never got another one.  Too much emotional turmoil.  But I don't think you can live in a country house without a cat.  Forget Jackie, my adorable jack russel who, I read, was used to rid mice in barns in the last century.  She just loves to figure out where Topo Gigio is and point.  That's it.  She's missed him twice already.
My patience has come to an end.  No more ecological traps.  This is WAR!    >:(

Offline hastur

• PS Silver Member
Reply #613 on: December 10, 2011, 09:09:03 AM
m1469, that sounds absolutely wonderful! And Birba, best of luck. ;D

It's ridiculously cold in my apartment, not exactly contributing to a want of practising the piano. But these weekly meetings me and my friend have taken upon us are inspiring me to play despite the cold temperatures causing joints to hurt. It's 14C, or 57F, inside. Ridiculous, really. I'm starting to think my fridge is leaking cold air, the area surrounding it seems colder than any other place in the room save the window.

I'm decently well though, I have decided to start saving up money to trade in my Yamaha NP30 for a Yamaha P95. The lack of weighed keys is frustrating when trying to work in good dynamics into a piece, among other things. And I think I might have a new apartment deal on the horizon, which should make my life a great deal easier to deal with.
My current to-do list:
* Yann Tiersen
~ La Valse d'Amélie
* Beethoven
~ "Pathétique" II. Adagio
* Petzold
Menuet in G minor (BWV 115)
* Satie
- Gymnopédie No. 3

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #614 on: December 10, 2011, 02:25:25 PM
Nooo Birba don't hurt the poor mouse!  :( It's just trying to suvive. Can't you just catch it and take it somewhere else (well maybe that's what ecological trap means? I don't know )? Maybe the mouse just doesn't like that kind of cheese.  :-\
Well if you had a cat just to scare the mouse that would be ok, but not to kill it! I think it's really bad the way cats kill mice.  :( like they throw it around and play with it...  :-X  :( I don't know but I heard that. And the way my cat sometimes plays with her toys I could imagine that. Except that my cat is really nice and gentle (but I still watch her when she's around my birds of course).
 :(

Topo Gigio

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #615 on: December 10, 2011, 05:18:36 PM
That's not a bad similarity to my topo gigio.  I don't WANT to kill it!  That's the point.  I changed the cheese yesterday using gloves and tweezers this time so my human smell didn't infect it.  It's the most incredible mouse ever.  Yesterday, Jackie was pointing at a small chest of drawers on the staircase landing.  Mind you, this is an area of approximately  2 yards square.  I thought Jackie wanted her ball, so I moved the chest of drawers and who darted out but Topo Gigio.  He saw Jackie and ran back under again.  Well, he absolutely disappeared.  There are no holes there, I took out all the drawers, I moved the the whole thing round and round and there was NO MORE TRACE OF HIM.  I really don't get it.  I think he's back in the fireplace in my bedroom because jackie stood vigil there practically all night.

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #616 on: December 10, 2011, 09:38:04 PM
Maybe he's a magical mouse.  :)

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #617 on: December 10, 2011, 11:10:54 PM
Most definitely.   :'(

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
PETA traps do work!
Reply #618 on: December 12, 2011, 06:06:36 AM
Hi Birba:

I just wanted to let you know that I caught many mice using the PETA friendly mouse trap. I used peanut butter. Mice like cheese but it tends to get stale overnight. And I've always found the peanut butter works much better. I can mail you a PETA trap, if you like. I have several. Now that we have a cat and we're feeding the feral cats in our backyard, the mice don't show up anymore.

Let me know if you'd like a couple of PETA traps. Please, please, please be kind and do not use poisons or cruel traps. You were kind to me. Please be kind to the mouse!

Choo Choo Love

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #619 on: December 12, 2011, 09:58:48 PM
Today at music theory we didn't really have music theory but we were making winter and Christmas decorations  :P the whole time!! First the teacher said we would only be making them for the first half (for first 45 minutes) and then we would do music theory... but then the time went by so fast that we didn't do music theory at all.  :P It was really cool.  8) Some were just coloring and some were cutting snowflakes and other winter things. But I was drawing because the teacher said: you can draw really well right? and I was like I don't know... and she was like: yes I know you can! You drew something for me once. (and I don't really remember that! and I mean we only have this teacher since last year)... well so I was drawing... :) and it was pretty cool! and then when it was only 10 or 15 minutes till the end I tried cutting a snowflake but I couldn't figure out how to do it right  :-[ maybe i'll try it at home (cause I was nervous there cause it was so little time) and I'll make a few and take them with me when I have my piano lesson on wednesday if they'll still need some more.  :)

Oh if we had more time I would draw one more picture with notes and everything... so it would be about music too... but well maybe I'll do it for at home or something... :)

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Re: PETA traps do work!
Reply #620 on: December 13, 2011, 06:51:32 AM
Hi Birba:

I just wanted to let you know that I caught many mice using the PETA friendly mouse trap. I used peanut butter. Mice like cheese but it tends to get stale overnight. And I've always found the peanut butter works much better. I can mail you a PETA trap, if you like. I have several. Now that we have a cat and we're feeding the feral cats in our backyard, the mice don't show up anymore.

Let me know if you'd like a couple of PETA traps. Please, please, please be kind and do not use poisons or cruel traps. You were kind to me. Please be kind to the mouse.
That's my problem.  I started out on this quest trying to be as kind as possible.  I refused poisons, sticky paper, etc.  I finally found a "friendly" trap, but this dude is too street-wise for that.  I changed to peanut butter.  Nothing.  I'm going to be leaving the house for 3 months and I've told our cleaning lady to take care of it before we get back.  The fact is, we've always had cats out here.  Tommy died last year, which leaves us open for every critter that wishes to come and stay a while...

Offline furtwaengler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #621 on: December 13, 2011, 07:32:19 AM
*I accidentally posted on the wrong thread, and I really can;t remember what I was doing. Hm...
Don't let anyone know where you tie your goat.

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Mouse
Reply #622 on: December 13, 2011, 07:37:49 PM
Oh, dear. Poor mouse.

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #623 on: December 14, 2011, 12:31:19 AM
Birba: I wish you a safe and enjoyable vacation. I hope you'll adopt a cat when you return.

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mouse
Reply #624 on: December 14, 2011, 09:21:17 PM
Oh, dear. Poor mouse.

Yes.  :(

I don't know why I'm always playing better at home (even if i'm recording) than at my piano lessons!  >:( annoying....
I better not think what I'll do next week at my recital....  ::)

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #625 on: December 16, 2011, 08:15:11 PM
I am sooo sleepy!!! I hate that! I have too many things! I need holidays!  ::) Ohhh..... oh well...

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #626 on: December 16, 2011, 08:29:17 PM
Oh nooo and now my tummy is also starting to hurt!  ::) how very annoying!

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #627 on: December 18, 2011, 06:46:50 AM
I have had this vocal epiphane as a result of screaming (yes) because of yet another spider incident inside the house.  It's a kind of scream that is pure emotional reaction and one which I can't re-create by trying, and after the thing I realized it was really high and loud and clear. I got curious about what note it was, and it was about F#6 = three above middle C.  I normally do not vocalize that high, in fact lately it's been to about C6 only.  But now I'm thinking ... if my vocal chords can do that for a natural reason, why couldn't they do that for a planned reason?  It seems like I should be able to make that sound at will, but right now I can't seem to do that, not even with a decided scream.  So, this is very interesting to me both vocally and pianistically/musically.  There is already some way for me to make those sounds, which I am capable of easily making when "inspired" and when in emotional reaction, but unless I'm in those circumstances, it seems mysterious and my head seems to be getting in the way.  I'm sure there's a lesson in there for me (which has more to do with music than with spiders).  Hmmmmmm ...  

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #628 on: December 18, 2011, 05:47:46 PM
Very good observations m1469! :) I think this is saying a lot about how musical expression works in the first place! :)

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #629 on: December 18, 2011, 06:22:52 PM
Yes, that is how this strikes me. It's funny that this happened because of a spider ... heh ... I guess this is something lifely interesting for me in context of my relationship with spiders and all.  But, musically, it supports the idea of sound and intent being instinctual and even a bit primordial.  And in this case it supports the idea that when it's based in instinct, one may very well be capable of and achieve more than they thought or thought they knew they could.  I obviously want to tap into that for all music making, but then there's the issue of "refinement" "correctness" "beauty" "art" and socialization if you want to get really philosophical about it.  I don't *think* the idea to divorce oneself completely from those is 'the way' but, they can get in the way, at least if there is no room, ever, for experimentation outside its realm.  Stangely, I also believe that the ultimate artistic goal, and perhaps origin, of music is to express these instinctual things in an artistic way, but it seems like something gets mixed up and a little confused in there with all of it. Somehow there gets a division about it, as in my case, I was never conscious of my ability to make that sound naturally, though it's probably been there for quite some time. It gets me thoughtful and interested and awake.    

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #630 on: December 18, 2011, 09:20:40 PM
See m1469 I told you!  :P  :D Spiders need to tell you something!  :)  8)  :P But I understand that you're still not too happy about them, specially cause you have some big and dangerous spiders around!  :-\

Today I met one spider too in the bathroom, but it was a small tiny spider so it was ok, I just moved it from the bathroom cause it was having problems trying to crawl up the bathtub. Oh and a few days ago I met one in my room when my computer mouse fell behind the table and when I was trying to pick it up and I scared the spider, that one was a litte bigger than this one today but still small so it didn't bother me I just let it be there.  :)

Oh only three more days to survive!!! And in four days....... holidays!!!!!!!! well actually in exactly... 3 days and 17 hours!!!!!! why does that seem soooo far away now..........  :P

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #631 on: December 18, 2011, 09:31:33 PM
Trying to cope with that freaking new youtube-design. All friends are gone, and now there are only subscribers. If you don't subscribe to your former friends manually, they'll be probably gone for good. ARRRGHHHH  >:( And nobody, I say NOBODY can ever convince me to change to that stupid Facebook-timeline thing unless they force me to do so because there's no more other option.....ARGHH  >:(

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #632 on: December 18, 2011, 09:39:08 PM
Trying to cope with that freaking new youtube-design. All friends are gone, and now there are only subscribers. If you don't subscribe to your former friends manually, they'll be probably gone for good. ARRRGHHHH  >:( And nobody, I say NOBODY can ever convince me to change to that stupid Facebook-timeline thing unless they force me to do so because there's no more other option.....ARGHH  >:(

I don't really like it either.....  :-\ I mean you can't even have a background like before, you can only choose one colour  :-\ or maybe I just don't know how to do it... and all the comments disapear when it changes your channel into the new design.... i mean you can switch back to the old channels design but probably that's only for a while...
I don't even know what's Facebook-timeline...  :-\

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #633 on: December 18, 2011, 09:57:56 PM
I don't really like it either.....  :-\ I mean you can't even have a background like before, you can only choose one colour  :-\ or maybe I just don't know how to do it... and all the comments disapear when it changes your channel into the new design.... i mean you can switch back to the old channels design but probably that's only for a while...
I don't even know what's Facebook-timeline...  :-\

Yes, now I have just changed back to the old design. But the friends are gone because they merged friends into subscribers for everybody, not only for the new design.
Facebook timeline is also one of these "fancy" new things and you will come across as soon as somebody from your friends list changes to it :P It's just frustrating, why can't they stay with the good old things that have worked for years?

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #634 on: December 18, 2011, 10:05:34 PM

I actually did cry when I found my birth certificate ... OK, just a few tears.

*25/6 ... come to Mamma*  ;D :-*  And then, in my break, the Appassionata is mine :).

Hee hee that's uber cute, I like  :D  8)

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #635 on: December 18, 2011, 10:56:38 PM
I found microscopic turds in my Yamaha C-3!!!!!!!!!!!!  This has settled it.  My pianotuner said it was strange that they hadn't gotten into my upright.  That's what they usually prefer.  Well, I bought the poison and it's started.  It's a special poison where they supposedly leave the house looking for water.  At any rate, if they die inside, they don't rot.  They mummify.  Has anyone ever heard of this stuff?!
So, ecological traps out the window.  This is WAR!

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #636 on: December 18, 2011, 11:32:55 PM
Use standard traps.  Quick death for them.  Cheap.  Possible splatter but a dead creature to clean up and dispose of.  Poison can leave the rotting bodies stinking up the place in the walls for a few weeks. 

Ahh... *reads better*  No, I haven't heard of that special poison.  Just Decon. 

Better yet... All of the above.  Catch them and kill them any way you can.

You can sprinkle powder over specific points in the place, like across doorways, and then see if they leave footprints.  It gives you an idea of where they are. 

Or get a cat. Or a snake. 

Or an African bull frog... ::)
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #637 on: December 18, 2011, 11:39:33 PM
This one is just bad.  There will be mouse guts potentially on that piano.

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #638 on: December 19, 2011, 12:01:37 AM
I found microscopic turds in my Yamaha C-3!!!!!!!!!!!!  This has settled it.  My pianotuner said it was strange that they hadn't gotten into my upright.  That's what they usually prefer.  Well, I bought the poison and it's started.  It's a special poison where they supposedly leave the house looking for water.  At any rate, if they die inside, they don't rot.  They mummify.  Has anyone ever heard of this stuff?!
So, ecological traps out the window.  This is WAR!

About two years ago, we tried for months to catch a mouse. He was really street smart, like the mouse in your house, and we couldn't catch him. Well, he vanished after a couple of months and we wondered where he had gone to. A few months later, the furnace inspection man found him. He had died and dried up. There was no odor.  We didn't even know he was dead, there. I think he ate the type of poison you are putting out. We didn't leave out any poison. We think he ate poison from some other place. I'm very sorry you have to do this but I understand. If it's okay, please don't place this poison outside your house. Other animals may eat them, too.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #639 on: December 19, 2011, 07:00:51 AM
I love to tell this story.  A few years ago my beloved Misciolina found a country mouse outside and had caught it.  I was horrified at her "behavior" (uh, right? she is a cat, you know) and grabbed her and took the mouse out of her mouth.  That damned thing bit me!  Teaches you to stay out of nature's way.  You know, one way or another, we're ALL going to go the way of the mouse trap, sooner or later...  :-\

Offline chopin1993

• PS Silver Member
Reply #640 on: December 19, 2011, 03:20:42 PM
I'm so mad right now.
There's no one home so I decided to put my story up here.

I suffer from stage fright badly and decided to get some help to get rid of it.
This was my first session and I already met the "therapist" once.
It went very well untill he called me arrogant  >:(
He called me arrogant, because I'm very nervous when playing in front of wellknown pianist and not as nervous when playing in front of people who don't know anything about classical music.
That's not really the way of helping your "patients"...

Valerie

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #641 on: December 19, 2011, 03:43:08 PM
Yeah, I don't think he knows what this business of playing the piano is all about.  Maybe he's just trying to get a reaction out of you to get at some hard feelings. 

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #642 on: December 19, 2011, 04:30:55 PM
I love to tell this story.  A few years ago my beloved Misciolina found a country mouse outside and had caught it.  I was horrified at her "behavior" (uh, right? she is a cat, you know) and grabbed her and took the mouse out of her mouth.  That damned thing bit me!  Teaches you to stay out of nature's way.  You know, one way or another, we're ALL going to go the way of the mouse trap, sooner or later...  :-\

What do you mean by, "One way or another, we're ALL going to go the way of the mouse trap, sooner or later... " I know we're all going to die one way or another, but going the way of the mouse trap sooner or later? Please clarify.

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #643 on: December 19, 2011, 04:53:32 PM
Birba I don't really like you all that much anymore!!  >:(  :(  :'(
I don't think it's right! I don't care if everyone thinks that's the way to do it or that there's no other choice or that that's just the way life (or nature  ::) ) is, I don't think it's right!!! Because it makes the mouse (or whatever animal) suffer before they die! I mean the mice leave the house because they are dying slowly!!!!! I know my friend told me, they live in an old house and have traps for mice and rats and she sees dying mice a lot of times. It's really sad... and then the stupid guy that is putting the traps told her that rats can become really dangerous and really huge, he said they can get bigger than a cat!!!  :o yeah right... and my friend actually believed him  ::) stupid people they just say that so they can convince people that that's the only right thing to do... to make them die from a slow painful death!!!!!!!!!! I mean just think about it... why do you think they get mummified?! Probably they dry up from inside while they're still alive!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't even want to think about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :-X  :-X  :-X and what if an animal outside finds them and eats them? wouldn't they die too? That is no war! That is mass murder!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And sure we all die anyway... but probably noone wants to suffer for days before they die!!!!!!!!!!!
And Bob your "jokes" about killing and eating and torturing animals are really disgusting!!!!!  :-X Keep your cruel jokes to youself"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  >:(  >:(  >:(  :-X  :-X
AND the worst thing is people pretend that that is just the way it has to be, so that they don't feel so bad!!!!!!!! I mean if you're doing it just admit what it really is!!!!!! And people think they're all smart... why don't they invent something that would just keep rats and mice away?? Like build better houses or invent a sound that would scare them or give them something so they couldn't have babies anymore? Stupid stupid people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have enough of this stupid human race!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! some aliens should just come and set traps to kill people!!!!!!!!! I mean they would be a lot more intelligent than people........ so that would give them the right to do whatever they want with us right?????????????????

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #644 on: December 19, 2011, 07:38:00 PM
I'm on your same wave-length, Littletune, believe me!  In fact, that picture of the toad eating the mouse was a bit sad.  But at least that's nature - we just don't have to look at it.  I know that what I'm doing is a cruel thing.  But it was either that or the glue paper where they don't even die and YOU have to finish them off.  Maybe that's even more humane, though.  But I just don't know what to do!  I've been trying with this ecological trap thing for a month now, and he (or THEY, I fear) just doesn't go anywhere near it.  And when I found micro-turds in my piano I knew that there was no choice.  Because if they begin to proliferate, OMG I don't even want to think about it.  I know!  I already feel awful - and now YOU have to load it on me!  :(
Candlelight: "the way of the mouse trap" was only a euphanism.  Like, yeah, we all have to go sooner or later - and it's not always the sweet way.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #645 on: December 20, 2011, 01:40:38 AM
I'm not joking about the traps and poison.  Mice and bugs.  Kill them.  They're pests.  They spread disease and eat the inside of buildings (and pianos) and wiring.   At least with a standard mouse trap it's a quick death for them (assuming they don't get half-hit and take a long time to die). 

Wait until you find traces in your kitchen or wake up one night and realize... you're not alone.

If you kill them sooner, they won't have a chance to breed and there will be less of them.

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #646 on: December 20, 2011, 06:25:32 AM
I'm on your same wave-length, Littletune, believe me!  In fact, that picture of the toad eating the mouse was a bit sad.  But at least that's nature - we just don't have to look at it.  I know that what I'm doing is a cruel thing.  But it was either that or the glue paper where they don't even die and YOU have to finish them off.  Maybe that's even more humane, though.  But I just don't know what to do!  I've been trying with this ecological trap thing for a month now, and he (or THEY, I fear) just doesn't go anywhere near it.  And when I found micro-turds in my piano I knew that there was no choice.  Because if they begin to proliferate, OMG I don't even want to think about it.  I know!  I already feel awful - and now YOU have to load it on me!  :(
Candlelight: "the way of the mouse trap" was only a euphanism.  Like, yeah, we all have to go sooner or later - and it's not always the sweet way.

Please don't use glue boards!  I think that's even worse. Couldn't you adopt a cat? I think that just the knowledge that a cat is on the property turns mice away. If you adopted a cat that had been a stray or feral before, it's even better. They're better hunters.

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #647 on: December 20, 2011, 06:32:28 AM
Birba I don't really like you all that much anymore!!  >:(  :(  :'(
I don't think it's right! I don't care if everyone thinks that's the way to do it or that there's no other choice or that that's just the way life (or nature  ::) ) is, I don't think it's right!!! Because it makes the mouse (or whatever animal) suffer before they die! I mean the mice leave the house because they are dying slowly!!!!! I know my friend told me, they live in an old house and have traps for mice and rats and she sees dying mice a lot of times. It's really sad... and then the stupid guy that is putting the traps told her that rats can become really dangerous and really huge, he said they can get bigger than a cat!!!  :o yeah right... and my friend actually believed him  ::) stupid people they just say that so they can convince people that that's the only right thing to do... to make them die from a slow painful death!!!!!!!!!! I mean just think about it... why do you think they get mummified?! Probably they dry up from inside while they're still alive!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't even want to think about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :-X  :-X  :-X and what if an animal outside finds them and eats them? wouldn't they die too? That is no war! That is mass murder!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And sure we all die anyway... but probably noone wants to suffer for days before they die!!!!!!!!!!!
And Bob your "jokes" about killing and eating and torturing animals are really disgusting!!!!!  :-X Keep your cruel jokes to youself"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  >:(  >:(  >:(  :-X  :-X
AND the worst thing is people pretend that that is just the way it has to be, so that they don't feel so bad!!!!!!!! I mean if you're doing it just admit what it really is!!!!!! And people think they're all smart... why don't they invent something that would just keep rats and mice away?? Like build better houses or invent a sound that would scare them or give them something so they couldn't have babies anymore? Stupid stupid people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have enough of this stupid human race!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! some aliens should just come and set traps to kill people!!!!!!!!! I mean they would be a lot more intelligent than people........ so that would give them the right to do whatever they want with us right?????????????????

You're a person after my own heart. :D

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #648 on: December 20, 2011, 06:25:01 PM
It's quite easy, use something like this:

try different baits until you catch the mouse and then transport it to a place far away. That's at least how we did it when I was a child (and we had lots of mice, sometimes also rats, because we lived in an old farmhouse for 8 years, I admit, it was really huge and actually the mice didn't disturb us very much because there was room for everybody, and they had their "regular" place somewhere else but still, sometimes they got annoying :P) first we used the simple standard mousetrap, but then we switched to this one (well, a similar one, back in the seventies) because of it's "humanness". Poison was never an option, of course, because it's cruel, and it will inevitably at some point poison other animals.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #649 on: December 20, 2011, 10:01:25 PM
Yes, you have to transport them something like at least 7 miles away.  One time we had mice, we were catching them "by hand" (well, with an oven mitt on, and actually those oven mitts look like frogs, so ...  :-) - then we started using live traps ... then  :-X ... but anyway, we seriously had like 30 or more.  Supposedly if you see one, there's lots more.  Who knows how many we have at the time and they are mice and rats, too ... it's actually not that great and I am pretty sure they're not all that concerned for our well-being  :-.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert