Piano Forum

Master Teacher Christopher Elton – Never Ending Impetus
With 50 years at the Royal Academy of Music and an international teaching career, Professor Christopher Elton has gained unique experience in how to coach accomplished artists. In this unique interview for Piano Street, Elton shares his insights and views on the big perspective. Read more >>

Topic: How are you doing right now ?  (Read 47863 times)

Offline austinarg

• PS Silver Member
Re: How are you doing right now ?
Reply #900 on: May 24, 2012, 01:27:06 AM
Please tell me you were not going to drink all that coffee by yourself.
“Talking about music is like dancing about architecture.” - Thelonious Monk

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #901 on: May 24, 2012, 01:53:31 AM
Yes, I was very certainly planning to be drinking all of that coffee myself.  It's at least half-decaf, but do you know what?  Even though it dumped bye bye and I thought about making a fresh mug for myself, I didn't.  I just felt like I didn't need it (even though it's so delicious).  
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #902 on: May 24, 2012, 03:25:24 AM
I have successfully removed such coffee stains with aerosol carpet stain remover. The sooner you apply it the better of course, and you might need two or three repeats, but coffee is one of the easier things, or so I have found.
"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #903 on: May 24, 2012, 07:39:53 AM
No, this is not abstract art, it is the start of my day; my carpet completely (and hugely) stained now, right in the entryway, after I spilled my entire (large) mug of coffee onto it - pretty much 16 ounces.  Then the day got worse, a lot worse, then it got better.  I really don't have any idea how to get this stain out, but I tried a few things.

Get some Spot Shot.  It's super stuff.  Just be careful not to spray too much on at a time as it can stain the carpet itself.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline goldentone

• PS Silver Member
Reply #904 on: May 24, 2012, 07:46:30 AM
Please tell me you were not going to drink all that coffee by yourself.

That's just two cups of coffee.  Not exactly the greatest indulgence of all time.  I almost had a second cup of coffee today myself.
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come

Offline austinarg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #905 on: May 24, 2012, 01:26:09 PM
That's just two cups of coffee.  Not exactly the greatest indulgence of all time.  I almost had a second cup of coffee today myself.

Well, maybe it's just me, I can't have more than one cup. I remember one time I had three cups one evening with friends - couldn't sleep at all.
“Talking about music is like dancing about architecture.” - Thelonious Monk

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #906 on: May 24, 2012, 03:10:26 PM

And, considering it's half decaf (or over half, even), it's just one cup o' leaded.  

[edit]ooops too much detail before!

One thing I am *not* indulging in, is spending thousands of dollars on clothing.  Most of my clothing (including shoes) are hand-me-downs or purchased for me by others (like parents at Holidays).  I am curious what kinds of indulgences sit in other people's closets?  hmmm?
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #907 on: May 26, 2012, 04:29:25 PM
I think I'm crawling out of the bog of eternal stench!  

(ludo is really nice)

Time to make lists, and time to get things done and move!

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #908 on: May 28, 2012, 11:00:30 PM
I'm doing pretty well ... slowly getting things crossed off my list, getting stuff in order.  For example, I've just today returned about 20 books (or more) that I've had checked out from the library for over a year ...  Time to do more :).

Offline chopin1993

• PS Silver Member
Reply #909 on: June 07, 2012, 07:10:19 PM
I'm veeery happy now, today I got accepted at one of the better conservatories in the Netherlands!  :D

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #910 on: June 07, 2012, 07:23:18 PM
Congratulations!

I'm having a little bit of Valentina Lisitsa withdrawals ... I literally had her practicing on simultaneously to mine, and by yesterday afternoon really found some helpful thoughts about it!  I'll survive for now, I guess, but when is she going to be back?  hmmm?

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #911 on: June 12, 2012, 09:54:17 PM
Well in some way I am happy but I am also sad! my music theory exams (yesterday and today) were kind of a disaster...  :( And I didn't get the best grade of course, I got second best (which is a 4 in my country; and 5 is the best)... but it's not even so much about the grade it's that I feel like I completely failed the aural tests (I mean the dictations) and I don't even know what happened, because at the "practice exams" at our music school I didn't have any mistakes at all but yesterday I just couldn't concentrate and I didn't hear anything right I guess... I mean I don't even know exactly cause I only saw the test for a few seconds... and everyone said the dictation was really difficult (only one girl got a 5) but I don't care about others really I just know I failed for myself and I don't want to go to grade 5 music theory next year cause I feel like I need to practice this more!!! I hope people will understand that and they won't try to convince me and tell me I have to go to grade 5 because I don't want to!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cause I don't feel ready!

Well the piano exam was a little better! Although one teacher didn't like my pedaling at  Tchaikovsky piece, but I got the best grade (5) anyway... but they made me feel pretty bad... those teachers were really scary and not nice at all even though my teacher said they were nice but they weren't!!!! they just made me feel like I was wasting their time!  :( and they wouldn't even let me play my last piece  :( and I know they had a lot of exams and they were listening to really a lot of people already but it still made me feel kinda bad. And at the beginning when I came in they were all like ok lets go lets hurry up and then one I guess wanted to make a joke (or something) maybe she wanted to be nice?  ???  :-\ but she was like: Oh this one is almost big enough to get married (and they all laughed) >:( she is almost to big, and then my teacher said my age and she was like: ooooohhhhhhh like shocked and she was like: oh you should be in middle school already (I don't know what that would be called in English) but she meant I should be in the next level (or whatever) of music school... so that made me feel like I shouldn't even be there... and then my teacher said well she started late and then that teacher said: well it's never too late... but it didn't make me feel any better! also because I heard my teacher talking to one other girl from my music school before I had my exam and that girl went for an audition to be at this school (the conservatory where we have our exams) and they didn't accept her and they said it was because they have too many kids who are learning piano and that they accept only the ones who are very talented and that she was too old cause she was over 10 and she should have been about 9 for grade 3! So age is one of the most important things there!! So well then I started playing and I don't know why but I wasn't really as nervous as I am usually and my hands almost weren't shaking at all and I REALLY loved playing on a grand piano!!! so I enjoyed playing! (even though there were 3 scary teachers sitting right next to me!) and in the beginning they just started talking!!! and at first I thought that maybe it would be even better that way because they wouldn't notice so much if I made mistakes, but then it really started bothering me! because it was pretty loud and I started thinking that they're talking about how bad I was or something! so in one place (in the first movement of sonatina) I got confused and made a few mistakes... but other than that it was ok. and then after the Tchaikovsky piece one of them said: oh it's ok it's ok you have one more piece some butterfly or something right?... well it's enough and they all looked like they just wanted me to get out as fast as possible. Cause last year (and two years ago) they were all smiling when I finished and said thank you, but this year it was like they were: ok ok we have enough of you and your playing just get out already!  :(  :'( and it hurt my feelings. I know most people wouldn't even care about something like that but I do. So yes that was that!

I'm happy about my grade for piano and I'm REALLY happy that I LOVED playing so much and that I wasn't really that nervous and I could really enjoy playing, but all other things...  :-X

Offline roseamelia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #912 on: June 13, 2012, 02:35:42 PM
Jeez... Never heard teachers that mean... But their judges. But just because their judges  they don't have to be mean to you. Well happy your in level 5. Congrats!! ;D;D Niice you got to play a grand? man I wonder if I'll ever get to play one. I have wanted to play a grand for 4 years still haven't had the chance!:(

Speaking of feeling good I have one more song in my 5th level!!!! And then after that will have one more book left!!! but the sad thing is....:( you have to leave your teacher. I'm just asking... is 1 year doing piano lessons short? I'm already in level 6. and that is the last lesson book for me.
But Jesus looked at them and said "With man this is impossible, but with God ALL things are possible!"<br /><br />~Jesus Matthew 19:26

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #913 on: June 13, 2012, 02:46:44 PM
Well in some way I am happy but I am also sad! my music theory exams (yesterday and today) were kind of a disaster...  :( And I didn't get the best grade of course, I got second best (which is a 4 in my country; and 5 is the best)... but it's not even so much about the grade it's that I feel like I completely failed the aural tests (I mean the dictations) and I don't even know what happened, because at the "practice exams" at our music school I didn't have any mistakes at all but yesterday I just couldn't concentrate and I didn't hear anything right I guess... I mean I don't even know exactly cause I only saw the test for a few seconds... and everyone said the dictation was really difficult (only one girl got a 5) but I don't care about others really I just know I failed for myself and I don't want to go to grade 5 music theory next year cause I feel like I need to practice this more!!! I hope people will understand that and they won't try to convince me and tell me I have to go to grade 5 because I don't want to!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cause I don't feel ready!

Well the piano exam was a little better! Although one teacher didn't like my pedaling at  Tchaikovsky piece, but I got the best grade (5) anyway... but they made me feel pretty bad... those teachers were really scary and not nice at all even though my teacher said they were nice but they weren't!!!! they just made me feel like I was wasting their time!  :( and they wouldn't even let me play my last piece  :( and I know they had a lot of exams and they were listening to really a lot of people already but it still made me feel kinda bad. And at the beginning when I came in they were all like ok lets go lets hurry up and then one I guess wanted to make a joke (or something) maybe she wanted to be nice?  ???  :-\ but she was like: Oh this one is almost big enough to get married (and they all laughed) >:( she is almost to big, and then my teacher said my age and she was like: ooooohhhhhhh like shocked and she was like: oh you should be in middle school already (I don't know what that would be called in English) but she meant I should be in the next level (or whatever) of music school... so that made me feel like I shouldn't even be there... and then my teacher said well she started late and then that teacher said: well it's never too late... but it didn't make me feel any better! also because I heard my teacher talking to one other girl from my music school before I had my exam and that girl went for an audition to be at this school (the conservatory where we have our exams) and they didn't accept her and they said it was because they have too many kids who are learning piano and that they accept only the ones who are very talented and that she was too old cause she was over 10 and she should have been about 9 for grade 3! So age is one of the most important things there!! So well then I started playing and I don't know why but I wasn't really as nervous as I am usually and my hands almost weren't shaking at all and I REALLY loved playing on a grand piano!!! so I enjoyed playing! (even though there were 3 scary teachers sitting right next to me!) and in the beginning they just started talking!!! and at first I thought that maybe it would be even better that way because they wouldn't notice so much if I made mistakes, but then it really started bothering me! because it was pretty loud and I started thinking that they're talking about how bad I was or something! so in one place (in the first movement of sonatina) I got confused and made a few mistakes... but other than that it was ok. and then after the Tchaikovsky piece one of them said: oh it's ok it's ok you have one more piece some butterfly or something right?... well it's enough and they all looked like they just wanted me to get out as fast as possible. Cause last year (and two years ago) they were all smiling when I finished and said thank you, but this year it was like they were: ok ok we have enough of you and your playing just get out already!  :(  :'( and it hurt my feelings. I know most people wouldn't even care about something like that but I do. So yes that was that!

I'm happy about my grade for piano and I'm REALLY happy that I LOVED playing so much and that I wasn't really that nervous and I could really enjoy playing, but all other things...  :-X

(Groan!) Isn't that always the case? You work hard and get the good grade. They greet the effort with a big yawn and then make some belittling comment. That was the way it was for me all though school and university and I wasn't the only one. They all were arrogant and condescending.
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #914 on: June 15, 2012, 07:44:23 PM
Jeez... Never heard teachers that mean... But their judges. But just because their judges  they don't have to be mean to you. Well happy your in level 5. Congrats!! ;D;D Niice you got to play a grand? man I wonder if I'll ever get to play one. I have wanted to play a grand for 4 years still haven't had the chance!:(

Speaking of feeling good I have one more song in my 5th level!!!! And then after that will have one more book left!!! but the sad thing is....:( you have to leave your teacher. I'm just asking... is 1 year doing piano lessons short? I'm already in level 6. and that is the last lesson book for me.

Thanks! :) And congratulations to you too. Yes I really LOVE playing on grand pianos, but I only play on them once a year when I have my exams... so I almost love exams because of it!  :P
Oh... why would you have to leave your teacher just cause you finished a book?  :-\ and of course 1 year of piano lessons is short... I mean it almost can't be shorter that that! at least at my music school you're supposed to take piano lessons for at least one year... I mean when you decide for lessons you usually decide for the whole school year...

(Groan!) Isn't that always the case? You work hard and get the good grade. They greet the effort with a big yawn and then make some belittling comment. That was the way it was for me all though school and university and I wasn't the only one. They all were arrogant and condescending.

I'm sorry you had teachers like that! That's really bad!! Well I thought maybe I was overreacting a little  :-[ maybe they weren't as horrible as I first thought... I don't know... but I sure hated those comments about how I'm too old to be grade 4 and all that... even if they meant it as a joke but it made me feel pretty bad! But oh well... now I'm feeling a little better about it! so it will be ok I guess.  :)  :P

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #915 on: June 15, 2012, 08:00:06 PM
Really, littletune, I had to wait a bit until I respond to this, because it made me so overwhelmingly mad, so mad!!  >:( >:( I was afraid I'd freak out completely.

These people, who the hell do they think they are? I'll tell you what they are. They're a bunch of frustrated well paid idiots who have no heart and no idea about music and about the human soul.

Unfortunately this kind of people often determine what is "right and wrong" in today's music culture. Stupid idiots they are, feeling their power and getting all excited about feeling it.

Don't be disouraged by them! Easier said than done, of course, because I know myself, and I would have been so totally frustrated, you can't imagine how much!! I am somehow ultra sensitive. I admire you, I admire your strength!! You are wonderful! Just keep going on!

Offline p2u_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #916 on: June 15, 2012, 08:13:55 PM
so that made me feel like I shouldn't even be there...

It's they who shouldn't have been there. Such people do not deserve to be called teachers.
P.S.: Happy you did OK, though. :)

Paul
Account discontinued.
No more pearls before swine...

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #917 on: June 15, 2012, 08:30:17 PM
Thank you so much Wolfi and Paul! :) I think it REALLY helps me a lot to know all of you nice people at Pianostreet!  :) I think I would feel soooooo much worse without Pianostreet! And sorry Wolfi for writing about things that make you so mad! I hope it didn't make you feel too bad!  :) Oh and I was really really surprised that i was so calm and that I could concentrate on playing and nothing else... only for the first few seconds when I started I thought : Oh nooo what if I won't be able to stop thinking about all of that, but then I just did and I loved playing!  :)

Offline cuberdrift

• PS Silver Member
Reply #918 on: June 16, 2012, 02:44:12 AM
Thank you so much Wolfi and Paul! :) I think it REALLY helps me a lot to know all of you nice people at Pianostreet!  :) I think I would feel soooooo much worse without Pianostreet! And sorry Wolfi for writing about things that make you so mad! I hope it didn't make you feel too bad!  :) Oh and I was really really surprised that i was so calm and that I could concentrate on playing and nothing else... only for the first few seconds when I started I thought : Oh nooo what if I won't be able to stop thinking about all of that, but then I just did and I loved playing!  :)

Oh nooooooooo :o you might need  :-\ to lay off  :) a bit with the smilies.  ;D

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #919 on: June 16, 2012, 03:59:38 PM
I'm sorry you had teachers like that! That's really bad!! Well I thought maybe I was overreacting a little  :-[ maybe they weren't as horrible as I first thought... I don't know... but I sure hated those comments about how I'm too old to be grade 4 and all that... even if they meant it as a joke but it made me feel pretty bad! But oh well... now I'm feeling a little better about it! so it will be ok I guess.  :)  :P

In the process of education you just put up with their arrogant and condescending attitudes. Why are they all in the music department? Rarely you find one who is honest and willing to recognize a good job.

In the process they kill classical music. They look down their noses at pieces the paying audience wants to hear and instead program obscure pieces, often modern and difficult to grasp at first hearing.

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline roseamelia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #920 on: June 16, 2012, 04:20:24 PM
My teacher said don't think about anything accept for playing the piano so you won't get nervous, but sounds like you handled it pretty well already. :)

To them it depends on how many mistakes you make and what style you play and mostly what THEY like. They might have had more people there than they usually had before so maybe that's why they we're so snappy.

Speaking of judges... I went to a piano competition it was in a church. The people who hosted it were the Bland's. Well I watched them play that piano one by one, boy they we're good but the songs kind of all sounded the same they we're classical. why I brought this up I'm going to join the competition this year!

But Jesus looked at them and said "With man this is impossible, but with God ALL things are possible!"<br /><br />~Jesus Matthew 19:26

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #921 on: June 23, 2012, 03:20:11 PM
Taking stock of my performance attire ... WOOOOO ... so far I am not depressed  ;D ;D 8) :-*

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #922 on: June 24, 2012, 07:36:33 PM
well I didn't say yet... but summer holidays started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :P Friday was last school day when we get the thing with the grades... I actually have all the best grades even math!  :P but I didn't finish all my home reading beacuse it's really difficult for me to force myself to read something I don't feel like reading... so I will need to read it during the holidays till next year  ::) and of course I got second best grade for my music theory  ::) but oh well... my piano teacher said that that was a very nice grade for grade 4 and that it was a good 4 and my teacher was talking to my mum and saying all good things about me :) :P and I was the only one from our school (in grade 4) who got the best grade (5) for piano. and she said she was trying to figure out how we could be paying less for my piano lessons...
well and I got a lot of new pieces for during the summer holidays!  :P but I haven't started practicing all that a lot yet but I will soon.... I can't wait....
but right now we have kinda a lot of work with that baby bird........ he/she is sooooooooooooo cute.... like a kitten, a puppy and a bird all in one (and maybe even some magical creature)  :D  :P  8)  :)  :)

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #923 on: June 25, 2012, 03:27:34 PM
Just finished finding a new home for 15,000 bees who stopped by and wanted to set up a hive in my yard. They arrived during the half of the Spanish game and were on their way before the Italian game started. They did spend Saturday night here. Not really long enough to post to the pet thread.

This is the swarming season. Last year none, and the year before we got two. The largest of those was 30,000 bees.

There is a lot to this bee thing. While we think of an individual be as an organism, actually it is only a part (like a cell) of the larger organism, the hive. If we want to save our food chain we need to change our thinking and concentrate on the life cycle of the hive.

Offline costicina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #924 on: June 25, 2012, 08:41:11 PM
Hi Littletune,
congratulations for you exams, no grim/stupid teacher can take away from you your achievement!!!
And now, please, enjoy at least a full week of holiday: enjoy your little animals, the summer, the end of the school, and have fun!!!!!
A big hug
marg

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #925 on: June 27, 2012, 09:51:54 PM
i'm a bit confused, what the heck?

i thought maybe it was just me misreading these signs, but nope it is apparently spreading....

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #926 on: June 29, 2012, 06:19:17 PM
Hi Littletune,
congratulations for you exams, no grim/stupid teacher can take away from you your achievement!!!
And now, please, enjoy at least a full week of holiday: enjoy your little animals, the summer, the end of the school, and have fun!!!!!
A big hug
marg

Thank you very much Marg! :) I am enjoying this first week of holidays!!  :P and I'm also very busy with all my pets... specially the baby bird, and also we are now taking care of one more doggy for a few days so there's a lot of things to do but I like taking care of animals  :) right now there's really a lot of living beings in our apartment, we have two dogs, a cat, three birds, a guinea pig... so that's seven pets and three people, that's 10 and then also two turtles and four fish in the small aquarium and five fish in the bigger one so that's 11 more livig beings so 21. and then there are also lots of snails in the big aquarium but I have noooo idea how many cause there's really a lot of them and you can't even see all of them.... and we also have some bugs...  :P and of course plants  :P but lets say we only count vertebrates  :P

Hugs back and thanks! :) :)

Offline costicina

• PS Silver Member
Reply #927 on: June 29, 2012, 06:34:36 PM
i'm a bit confused, what the heck?

i thought maybe it was just me misreading these signs, but nope it is apparently spreading....

.... Just one could be simply an accident, three.... ::) ::) ::) ::) maybe they use a kind of non aristotelian logic: A and non A are not mutually exclusive? Mah!

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #928 on: July 01, 2012, 12:59:30 PM
i'm good. i'm laughing at this. too funny (not my commentary, super funny  ;D)

"...Those pesky advertising bugs always find creative ways to inject themselves in the middle of what you're watching.

This one, however, decided that an effective way to promote the upcoming release of The Amazing Spider-Man was to depict Spidey in the culmination of a miniature adventure as he swings out of pitcher, C.C. Sabathia's ass to safety.

He was looking for answers about the mysterious circumstances of his parents' disappearance. All he found instead was the remnants of a breakfast burrito and..."

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #929 on: July 06, 2012, 12:10:06 PM
laughing. hard. funny, no hilarious since it's a real headline. you almost can't make this stuff up!

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #930 on: July 06, 2012, 02:58:35 PM
Well I'm ok! I just don't have enough time for everything I want to do and need to do!!!!  ::)  >:( the second week of summer holidays is almost over!!!!  ::) but well... I know when we're going on vacation!!  :) from August 14 to 24!!!!!  :P so i'll be home for my birthday this year! I hope I can do more of the things I want to and need to do!!  :)

Offline jollisg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #931 on: July 08, 2012, 10:20:06 AM
I'm kind of.. Nervous or how i should say it.
I have my first own 1h concert (or recital? I don't really know the difference) in 18 days! And another one in 21 days!  =D

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #932 on: July 17, 2012, 03:25:37 PM
I'm kind of.. Nervous or how i should say it.
I have my first own 1h concert (or recital? I don't really know the difference) in 18 days! And another one in 21 days!  =D

Good luck for your concerts!!  :)

Well I am ok now, but a little tired  ::) even though I have holidays! Yes well it's not that easy taking care of baby birds I guess!  :P But I'm sooo glad he's doing well!!!! and also my guinea pig got sick again and last week the vet gave her some medications and right away she started feeling better but then 3 days later she started feeling worse again and then we stopped giving her one medication, and she was a little better but she wasn't eating anything at all and you could see that something was hurting her, so then we decided with my mum that we would give her like half a dose that she was supposed to be getting (and only once a day instead of twice) because that was during the weekend and her vet wasn't there, so we had to try something by ourselves, and after that she started getting slowly better again and now she's a lot better and running around and starting to eat by herself agian so we're soooooooooo happy (but we don't want to be too happy because we're afraid it would be like the first time again), now we're still feeding her but we will try to stop slowly (before we were feeding her 4 times a day and today we will try only 3 times because she's eating more by herself. and we'll go to the vet tomorrow or on Thursday so we'll see what he'll say.... so I had really little time these few weeks cause I had to take care of my pets! but they're all soooooooooo cute and I love them sooooooooooo much and I'm sooooooooooo happy they're doing ok!!!!!!!!!  :)  :)  :)

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #933 on: July 20, 2012, 01:00:39 PM
kind of puzzled at trying to figure out how i will buy that wallet i want that they carry. i mean i'd like to get it so i can buy snacks from them. but if i keep my money in my underroos, and i want to pay with money i keep in the wallet they won't sell me becuase of my current 'walle't not being appropriate. how do i get my snacks?

so that means my new snazzy pair of pocket underwear were purchased for nothing?

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #934 on: July 20, 2012, 01:36:43 PM
Awful...

I rolled my ankle last night skating.
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #935 on: July 23, 2012, 04:12:54 AM
Awful...

I rolled my ankle last night skating.

Ouch!! Hope you're feeling better.

At least you missed your hands this time; and now that you can't pedal......(B###)!
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline zezhyrule

• PS Silver Member
Reply #936 on: July 23, 2012, 04:21:06 AM
Yeah, well I fell off a 8-foot stage last night. The guard rail was messed up and the chair was not totally on the stage, so all in one motion as I sat down I fell all the way to the ground, bringing the guard rail, a big curtain, and somehow a xylophone that was 4 feet away with me. I seriously had no idea what happened since it all went by so fast. I'm still confused really.

Thankfully the xylophone is okay.
Currently learning -

- Bach: P&F in F Minor (WTC 2)
- Chopin: Etude, Op. 25, No. 5
- Beethoven: Sonata, Op. 31, No. 3
- Scriabin: Two Poems, Op. 32
- Debussy: Prelude Bk II No. 3

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #937 on: July 23, 2012, 04:43:40 AM
Yeah, well I fell off a 8-foot stage last night. The guard rail was messed up and the chair was not totally on the stage, so all in one motion as I sat down I fell all the way to the ground, bringing the guard rail, a big curtain, and somehow a xylophone that was 4 feet away with me. I seriously had no idea what happened since it all went by so fast. I'm still confused really.

Yikes!

Your lucky to have a hospital with internet access.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline zezhyrule

• PS Silver Member
Reply #938 on: July 23, 2012, 04:48:06 AM
hehe, thankfully the most I got out of it was a few bruises. I guess I am lucky  ;D
Currently learning -

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #939 on: July 23, 2012, 03:13:41 PM

Lol that's halarious
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #940 on: July 23, 2012, 03:43:59 PM
Congratulations to all UK'ers for the win of the Tour.

When he was growing up he never thought he would ever be sitting there with THE yellow shirt. Maybe big dreams are not the answer. Maybe smaller dreams about the next hurdle might work better.

Offline db05

• PS Silver Member
Reply #941 on: July 25, 2012, 11:16:34 AM
laughing. hard. funny, no hilarious since it's a real headline. you almost can't make this stuff up!

I think that's supposed to be AFP (Armed Forces of the Philippines).
But yes, MILF is a real organization. Apparently the Muslims came up with it long before American Pie.

Back to topic:
I'm doing quite well, thanks. But my piano music is a different story.  :P
I'm sinking like a stone in the sea,
I'm burning like a bridge for your body

Offline jollisg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #942 on: July 27, 2012, 06:40:18 AM
I'm really, really tired. I had my first "big" (1 hour) solo concert/recital (still don't really know the difference.. so lets say "performance"  ;D) yesterday. There was over 100 people there! That's pretty much, considering that it's a small church. I was on a concert there last year, with a professional (and REALLY good) pianist. Then it was like 10-20 people there.. But now I'm rambling!

My legs are itchy too. That's annoying  8)

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #943 on: July 27, 2012, 06:49:09 AM
Hey, congratulations! Sounds like it went well.  :D

Incidentally, a "recital" is where there is a soloist performing, either alone or with an "accompianist". A "concert" is for orchestras, ensembles or a soloist with an orchestra.  The terms are not really strictly used these days.

Offline zezhyrule

• PS Silver Member
Reply #944 on: July 27, 2012, 06:57:25 AM
That sounds awesome, jollisg!

I was thinking to myself that 100 didn't seem like much, but I went to this recital with this dude from a local uni performing an all-liszt program (a HR, the b minor sonata, some of liszt's late works that I can't think of atm) and now that I think about it there were only about 20 people there. It's kinda sad really, he was amazing.

So what pieces did you perform?
Currently learning -

Offline unholeee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #945 on: July 27, 2012, 08:14:53 AM
housemate complained about using 1/4 of washing powder, debated buying 20 boxes, but then wondered what i'd do with so much.

attended my first concert at the university as part of their lunchtime programs, they played williamson sonata for two pianos. grainger - fantasy on  gershwin porgy and bess - and supposed to play debussy en blanc et noir but played ravel la valse 2 pianos instead - so i was ecstatic, but ive only heard clair de lune (yuck) and arabesque ..so who knows. And the others i have no idea who those composers are but its not helping in trying to finish music sheets before I finding more to play.

then pop by work early, get yelled at to get off my ass by a guest to help with something (i wasnt working) - but then he did then buy me a cheap juice maker i was looking for, score. then when i was working, having a lamp bulb explode on someone and apparently give them an electric shock :X I think a shock maybe, but not electric, since the power was still running.

and now in a few hours to deal with the drunken antics of people tonight.

but my housemate is out for the night so i will play the piano at midnight. yes yes yes yes

Offline jesc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #946 on: July 30, 2012, 08:30:13 AM
just got back to playing the piano again. I'm tackling pieces that are relatively challenging but not the kind that will push my technique to new levels (specifically, Chopin etudes). The purpose is to keep my hands in at least "some form" of shape.

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #947 on: August 03, 2012, 03:37:36 PM
So far today is by far the best day back in the US that I've had!  A delicious breakfast, a very nice/healthy walk, and practicing on the brink.  I feel alive about it!  Feeling alive = better than feeling not alive.

Offline roseamelia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #948 on: August 03, 2012, 04:39:02 PM
@ m1469: Good for you! ;D

@ littletune: That's great!! :) ;D <3 What Breed of guinea pig is yours? My sister breeds them and she'll probably be able to identify your if you don't know what type of guinea pig it is. :)

We used to have to birds names peanut and pecan then we found out that pecan was a girl because she was laying eggs but every-time she had one it landed to hard on the cage floor and broke, it was a hanging bird-cage so they stayed on the pole in the middle of the cage they never went in their store bought nest. :( but then we went on vacation we had a friend do our animals for us....then our friend told us something got into our barn! and knocked over our rabbits cage but she was fine the bird cage was busted open and they we're gone!!:( :(

Offline unholeee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #949 on: August 09, 2012, 09:40:58 PM
so tired, asked to work from midnight, supposed to see a sydney international piano competition winner at lunchtime today, but that means ill have maybe 2-3 hours sleep. was moving house this morning as my former housemate was a cow, fitting she was from the country (she is ofcourse the exception, most ive met are fantastic).

moved to a place they have a grand piano, don't know what i'll do with mine. has cost me a bit to move, but am much happier. one of the housemates has given me heaps of sheet music. and he can pick any note as well, i was playing 4 at a time, and then same keys but inversions across 3-4 octaves just to mess with him and he'd still get them correct, flats, dissonace, didnt matter  :/ the piano even needed a tune.. lol, david blane of piano. just dont saw it in half.

one girl cooked a fantastic tea i asked what one of the dishes was and she said seafood. then the guy showed me a translation on his phone, it said jellyfish. i would never dream of eating jellyfish - but thats too late now, quite chewy and tasteless. i use to squish them on the beach it was so much fun, until i heard they could be deadly :x
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert