Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: What's on your mind now?  (Read 439928 times)

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Re: What's on your mind now?
Reply #5100 on: February 25, 2014, 10:37:29 PM
I keep thinking that I should stop trying to make piano music. But if I don't put this sonata in my head to sheet, I'm going to go more insane than I already am.

Do you use a computer program to write it out or just write it by hand? I like Notation.
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5102 on: February 26, 2014, 08:23:14 AM
I'm laying in bed with back pain...No piano today I think :(

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5103 on: February 26, 2014, 02:01:02 PM
Do you use a computer program to write it out or just write it by hand? I like Notation.

Computer program (Very little of what I have written by hand ended up good), Musescore to be precise.

Interestingly enough, I can't think of the way to even begin any given piano piece, yet just yesterday I composed the the first movement of a tower sonata in about ten minutes and the first part of a harpsichord partita in thirty.
Per novitatem, artium est renascatur.

Finished with making music for quite a long time.

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5104 on: February 26, 2014, 03:52:14 PM
I'm laying in bed with back pain...No piano today I think :(

Welcome to the club! One would think that more research money should be put into solving back pain, considering the number of lost hours of productivity due to it.

Best wishes to all of us. No cure or help in sight...
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5105 on: February 26, 2014, 04:08:09 PM
Welcome to the club! One would think that more research money should be put into solving back pain, considering the number of lost hours of productivity due to it.

Best wishes to all of us. No cure or help in sight...

For me the rest and some pills did the trick, I can already move almost normally...I'll better not do much sitting in front of the piano today, must be well tomorrow.

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5106 on: February 26, 2014, 05:52:50 PM
I really wish I knew the range of a virginal right now.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5107 on: February 28, 2014, 02:42:35 AM
 ::)

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5108 on: February 28, 2014, 02:48:46 AM

Why that's just cruel. Clearly you should use this instead.

"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5109 on: March 02, 2014, 09:58:58 PM
*Bob secretly wants his own gravity, Bob Gravity, upon hearing the Quantum has his.*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_gravity

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5110 on: March 03, 2014, 12:13:55 AM
*Bob secretly wants his own gravity

I'd be happy to give you a little of mine.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5111 on: March 03, 2014, 06:00:24 AM
I am thinking...why some mornings I get a lot of productive practice (like yesterday) while on others (like this one) I am a total idiot, can't even get the basic scale fingerings right. Must be the damn alarm clock. If I wake up myself it's good to go straight to the piano and work on where I left the night before. But if I am rudely waken up in the middle of my sleep, it's probably best to eat my breakfast and do whatever needs to be done and only sit at the piano after that.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5112 on: March 04, 2014, 12:13:50 AM
I spilled garlic and olive oil on my blanket. :-[  :( :'(

I'll wash it next year. Whether it needs it or not. :P  It's good to have goals.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5113 on: March 04, 2014, 12:48:24 AM
Can you be a vegetarian.... and still be pretty obese?

I guess I associated being a vegetarian with eating vegetables.  Would it necessary *have* to be that though?  It's also 'not eating meat.'  You could 'not eat meat' and not actually eat any vegetables.  And then what are you?  You could vegetarian.  Because you don't eat meat.  But you could be chowing down on donuts all day.  Hence... The obese 'vegetarian.'  Or maybe just 'tarian.'

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5114 on: March 04, 2014, 12:50:36 AM

Exhibit A:

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5115 on: March 04, 2014, 11:38:44 PM

I'll wash it next year. Whether it needs it or not. :P  It's good to have goals.

I'd like to say I didn't just do the exact same thing again today.   >:(  I'd like to say that.  ::)

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5116 on: March 05, 2014, 03:51:48 AM

You shouldn't wash it! I am not sure about the benefits of olives, but the garlic is excellent to safeguard you from vampires.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5117 on: March 05, 2014, 12:57:09 PM
True.  It's proven by the fact that there are absolutely no vampires there.  

*Bob lied.  He has no intention of ever washing it, not in the near future at least.*

Offline chopinfrederic

Reply #5118 on: March 06, 2014, 12:57:32 PM

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5119 on: March 06, 2014, 02:26:31 PM

Yes. Vegetable aren't without carbohydrates, which are the main factor in gaining weight. Eat enough of them, and you'll be both obese and very ill.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5120 on: March 07, 2014, 12:31:13 AM
I'd like to say I didn't just do the exact same thing again today.   >:(  I'd like to say that.  ::)

:-\

Offline fleetfingers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5121 on: March 07, 2014, 05:27:40 AM
Yes. Vegetable aren't without carbohydrates, which are the main factor in gaining weight. Eat enough of them, and you'll be both obese and very ill.

Vegetables are also packed with fiber, which is often said to be a main factor in losing weight.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5122 on: March 07, 2014, 05:47:29 AM
Vegetables are also packed with fiber, which is often said to be a main factor in losing weight.

But basically it is still about the calory intake versus consumption. Good to understand if one need to loose some  ;)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5123 on: March 07, 2014, 12:06:09 PM
"Looks like you're gaining weight."

"Yeah, I ate too vegetables.  I can't stop myself."

Doctor, "You're really going to have to cut down on vegetables.  This is getting out of hand."

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5124 on: March 07, 2014, 03:29:25 PM
A long time ago, I was forced to take pottery in an art class in school. Now, I have massive disadvantages there, having very poor fine and gross motor skills and I am quite the klutz. And I remember the one piece of pottery I had to make... I remember it very well.

The assignment was to make a gargoyle. It was an assignment to which I should have gotten an F on, because that poor, pathetic excuse for a gargoyle that I created was a disgusting abomination before man. Even as a child, I knew it was garbage, and aptly named it "Shred, the factory accident".

My mother, however, decided to keep it. I wanted the opposite, to destroy that abomination. So she hid it. And she has hidden it all the years since. I hated that thing, that disgusting eyesore. Its existence clawed away at me, and dug into my brain like a drill. It tore me apart inside, just knowing it was still alive and well, and not a pile of ash and dust like it deserved to be. For many years, I fantasized about finding it and destroying it, so my mind could finally be at peace.

But my mother would never stand for it. She kept it well hidden and out of sight, in a dangerous to navigate basement. So all I could do is silently revile the repulsive monstrosity, hoping that one day, my mother would love me enough to destroy that horrible, horrible thing. For years, it has slowly chipped away at my soul, bashing to pieces every bit of strength left in my spirit, until it will one day, finally and at long last, make me a bitter, lifeless husk.

I hate that piece of pottery.

Offline fleetfingers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5125 on: March 07, 2014, 06:15:07 PM
But basically it is still about the calory intake versus consumption. Good to understand if one need to loose some  ;)

Is that supposed to be a hint? ;)

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5126 on: March 07, 2014, 06:24:33 PM
Is that supposed to be a hint? ;)

Not really...I have no idea who wants to lose some and who don't :)
But I have noticed it to be quite common for people to forget that little fact when dieting...

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5127 on: March 08, 2014, 01:01:57 AM
Interesting.... I've raptured away 10% of my body weight.

And that would have been fat which is really gross. :-X

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5128 on: March 08, 2014, 02:09:05 AM
Today I saw someone squatting 340. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5129 on: March 08, 2014, 03:26:37 PM
Who wants oatmeal? :D

*Bob pours our some dry oatmeal flakes for you.*   Enjoy. 8)

Want some coffee with that?

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5130 on: March 08, 2014, 04:29:17 PM

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5131 on: March 09, 2014, 03:32:27 PM
Quite the defense.   ::)

Probably works a little better underwater.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5132 on: March 11, 2014, 11:42:55 PM
This guy lost some serious man points... ::)

https://cheezburger.com/8102443776

There's probably a blanket to throw over the cat in that bedroom. 

And they're only thinking about getting rid of the cat if it does it again.  Goes along with calling 911 I guess.

Offline perprocrastinate

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5133 on: March 13, 2014, 04:38:16 AM
I found this quote in someone's forum signature. I love it.

"It's true that I've driven through a number of red lights on occasion, but on the other hand I've stopped at a lot of green ones but never gotten credit for it." -- Glenn Gould

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5134 on: March 15, 2014, 07:38:33 PM
A late Happy Pi Day.

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5135 on: March 15, 2014, 08:02:18 PM
Today, for once, I actually accomplished something. I finished the first movement of a sonata and I finished a literary project I've spent a day short of five months on. Later, I'm going to see a performance of all the Brandenburg Concertos and am going to try getting a copy of the DSM-III.

All in all, good day.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5136 on: March 17, 2014, 10:59:34 AM
Why my brain decides to give me a storyline from a horror movie and I wake up a couple minutes before the alarm is supposed to go off.  

It's fading now.  It doesn't even make sense.

There's a lady, investigator.  And there's a car that's haunted for some reason.  Older car, sitting out in an open space.  And there's a teenage girl.  The investigator eventually is having the girl go around to the right side passenger door.  That's where another girl sometime in the past got shot.  In the car is the Sumara character from the Ring movies.  I know this, except there's nothing to see.  It's a haunted car.  For some reason the investigator lady was testing had people by other spots in the car.  Creepy, but nothing happened.  Then the girl is by the right side passenger door.  Bam!  Shot dead.  The investigator lady gets upset about that (except she would have known that was supposed to happen?, the point of the testing?) and opens the car door and rips out the clothes and clutter in the car.  This of course uber-ticks off the ghost from the car.... And then I wake up.   Now I'm wondering what's the point of testing a haunted car by setting up the same conditions where someone got shot near it?   And why would a ghost shot someone?   And why did the investigator forget about the girl who actually just got shot (by the ghost apparently)? 

And overall, what's the point of the dream?   Usually they're pretty clear. Before this part of the dream, somehow I knew this part was coming up, but I was in an medium-sized concert hall for a class with an old professor.  The professor was going to do some kind of modern recital and we were warned not to record it.  

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5137 on: March 17, 2014, 11:20:55 AM

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5138 on: March 17, 2014, 05:23:38 PM
Why my brain decides to give me a storyline from a horror movie and I wake up a couple minutes before the alarm is supposed to go off.  

It's fading now.  It doesn't even make sense.

There's a lady, investigator.  And there's a car that's haunted for some reason.  Older car, sitting out in an open space.  And there's a teenage girl.  The investigator eventually is having the girl go around to the right side passenger door.  That's where another girl sometime in the past got shot.  In the car is the Sumara character from the Ring movies.  I know this, except there's nothing to see.  It's a haunted car.  For some reason the investigator lady was testing had people by other spots in the car.  Creepy, but nothing happened.  Then the girl is by the right side passenger door.  Bam!  Shot dead.  The investigator lady gets upset about that (except she would have known that was supposed to happen?, the point of the testing?) and opens the car door and rips out the clothes and clutter in the car.  This of course uber-ticks off the ghost from the car.... And then I wake up.   Now I'm wondering what's the point of testing a haunted car by setting up the same conditions where someone got shot near it?   And why would a ghost shot someone?   And why did the investigator forget about the girl who actually just got shot (by the ghost apparently)? 

And overall, what's the point of the dream?   Usually they're pretty clear. Before this part of the dream, somehow I knew this part was coming up, but I was in an medium-sized concert hall for a class with an old professor.  The professor was going to do some kind of modern recital and we were warned not to record it.  

Remember the dream is never about the dream!

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5139 on: March 17, 2014, 06:44:11 PM
I have to sift through nearly 4000 lines of a document, and copy paste the vast majority of them, one by one, to another place.

I am going to hate tomorrow.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5140 on: March 17, 2014, 10:52:03 PM
What about a macro program?

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5141 on: March 17, 2014, 10:55:02 PM
What about a macro program?

I can't code to save my scrawny hide.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5142 on: March 18, 2014, 02:02:07 AM
Remember the dream is never about the dream!

Yes.  Interesting.  I found an interpretation of the dream that's relevant.  Even the snail pic below that is relevant.  Very interesting.  Could pay off big too I suppose.  Finally a dream that potentially sheds light on things instead of being an obvious one like a test or project coming up and you're being chased by something.

I see a few options...
1) Do nothing.  Not necessarily bad.
2) Do something different than I normally would -- which could result a positive or negative outcome for me.
3) Do the same as I've always done -- which is the impulse.

Or... Redefine the whole situation, esp. for #2 here.

Or I suppose... Remove myself from the situation, a variation on #1.

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5143 on: March 18, 2014, 06:08:33 PM

Yes.  Interesting.  I found an interpretation of the dream that's relevant.  Even the snail pic below that is relevant.  Very interesting.  Could pay off big too I suppose.  Finally a dream that potentially sheds light on things instead of being an obvious one like a test or project coming up and you're being chased by something.

I see a few options...
1) Do nothing.  Not necessarily bad.
2) Do something different than I normally would -- which could result a positive or negative outcome for me.
3) Do the same as I've always done -- which is the impulse.

Or... Redefine the whole situation, esp. for #2 here.

Or I suppose... Remove myself from the situation, a variation on #1.

Have you ever read Freud's books on the interpretation of dreams ?

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5144 on: March 18, 2014, 06:21:42 PM

Considering how little of Freud's theories are still accepted, is Freud really the best guide?

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5145 on: March 18, 2014, 11:11:15 PM

Nope.   I imagine he'd say that wasn't a car.

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5146 on: March 19, 2014, 07:19:14 PM
Considering how little of Freud's theories are still accepted, is Freud really the best guide?

We don't talk anymore because the state won't pay, we just push pills.

Nope.   I imagine he'd say that wasn't a car.

What ever it turns out to be at least you might get some insight into your head rather than becoming drug dependent...

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5147 on: March 19, 2014, 07:30:18 PM
The Internet has warped my sense of reality. Eventually, I'll be convinced that everything in this world is merely an internet fad, as it becomes too surreal and bizarre to be actual truth.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5148 on: March 19, 2014, 07:39:41 PM
My piles have come back >:(

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5149 on: March 19, 2014, 11:39:48 PM
Piles?

Lot of dog walkers there?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert