Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: What's on your mind now?  (Read 436262 times)

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Re: What's on your mind right now?
Reply #1650 on: August 10, 2010, 05:27:08 PM
tanjobi? compleanno?

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1651 on: August 10, 2010, 07:12:15 PM
I'm betting that today is Littletune's birthday.
A leo: "generous and warmhearted, creative and enthusiastic, broad-minded and expansive, faithful and loving"! ;D

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1652 on: August 10, 2010, 07:19:55 PM
Not today, tomorrow is my...  :-X birthdaaaaaay  :D  :P

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1653 on: August 10, 2010, 07:26:03 PM
Oh really it says that for a leo? that's cool!  8) I'm glad I'm a leo!  :P  :)  :)

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1654 on: August 11, 2010, 05:59:22 AM
I printed it last night because I didn't think you would go on line before today!  >:(  >:(
Anyway, Happy Birthday!   ;D ;D ;D

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1655 on: August 11, 2010, 11:08:04 AM
Oh  :) well thank you very much Birba!!  :)  :P  8)

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1656 on: August 11, 2010, 11:11:57 AM
I have a cake on my profile!!  :P  :P  :P

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1657 on: August 11, 2010, 11:23:25 AM
happy birthday littletune!! May the piano force be with you :)  8)

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1658 on: August 11, 2010, 11:40:07 AM
 :P Thank you Wolfi!!  :)  8)  8)
Oh and happy anniversary too you! for being on Pianostreet exactly 5 years!! :)

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1659 on: August 11, 2010, 01:45:30 PM
Guys, be prepared.  Let's face it, one day littletune is going to grow up and forget us all!  :'(

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1660 on: August 11, 2010, 02:35:40 PM
No no no no nooo I'm never going to forget you guys!!  :)  :) why would I??  :o you think cause I would grow up?? well maybe I should stay 12 forever then  :D  :P  :P and besides you said that leos were faithful ! :) so I will love you all and Pianostreet forever!!   :P  ;) :D :)  8)

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1661 on: August 11, 2010, 02:47:33 PM
Also adding Birthday greetings to Littletune from the Southwest corner of the USA where it is now morning on 11 August. 
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1662 on: August 11, 2010, 03:04:47 PM
Thank you very much Oxy!!  :)  :)  8) I wish here was still morning too!  :) Then my birthday would last for longer!  :P  :)

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1663 on: August 11, 2010, 08:08:51 PM
What if today I just don't go to sleep, and I stay up all night  :P I mean it's my birthday! that's like beginning of a new year  :D so I think I should just stay awake :) and celebrate  :P

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1664 on: August 12, 2010, 07:12:13 PM
I really like the cake from Pianostreet that I had on my profile  yesterday  :P  :) so I took a picture  8)

And I also remembered that on August 1st it was exaclty 6 months since I got my piano!!! Don't know how I could forget about that then!  :o well now I remembered! So happy half year anniversary to my dear piano!!  :)  :-* 8)

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1665 on: August 12, 2010, 09:58:15 PM
I don't remember getting an online cake on my birthday.

I am gonna complain.

Thal >:(
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1666 on: August 13, 2010, 04:21:03 AM
I don't remember getting an online cake on my birthday.

I am gonna complain.

Thal >:(

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1667 on: August 13, 2010, 05:09:24 AM
Hey, Littletune!   :)  I was out of town on a vacation and read about your Birthday!
Well, I hope you had a great Birthday and that you'll continue to love playing your
piano!   :)   ;D
Yesterday was the day that passed,
Today is the day I live and love,Tomorrow is day of hope and promises...

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1668 on: August 13, 2010, 01:23:05 PM
Thank you very much Go!  :)  :) Yes I had a great birthday :) I hope you had a great vacation too!  :) And my piano says hi  ;D  :D  :)

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1669 on: August 13, 2010, 01:49:03 PM
Oh Thal yes I saw you didn't have a cake on your profile, I looked that day when you said it was your birthday  :) Because I know Pianowolfi had a cake on his birthday too :)  :P But you probably didn't get it cause you didn't give your real birth date :) cause it's not like you're really 553 years old  :P  ;D

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1670 on: August 13, 2010, 02:47:20 PM
Trying to get more piano students this Fall season.... :P

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1671 on: August 13, 2010, 03:33:51 PM
Trying to get more piano students this Fall season.... :P

I remember both of my childhood piano teachers had signs on their front lawn; "Teacher of Piano."
They didn't do any other type of advertising. These days a friend teaches in of several studios in the back of a music store. Except for a sign in the window of the store that says "We teach all instruments," he does no other type of advertising. He can still fill a Saturday with lessons but the after school spots during the week are empty.

Hope you fill up for the fall..

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1672 on: August 13, 2010, 10:56:59 PM
This kid's not a prodigy.  I thought he was starting off simple and then would burst into something virtuosic.

https://video.yahoo.com/watch/145612/812639

Very good for a five year old though but...  I think someone wants him to be a prodigy.

This kid seems more like a prodigy.

https://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100813/ap_on_en_ot/eu_britain_painting_prodigy_2

Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1673 on: August 15, 2010, 02:25:46 AM
I'm wondering if this is the first appearance of snails on the forum.  I think it might be. 
https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=4751.msg44902;topicseen#msg44902

October 08, 2004

I found some others later in that month.

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1674 on: August 15, 2010, 12:54:56 PM
WOW that's a lot of snails!!  :) But where was Ahinton then? I didn't see any snail eating comments from him.

Do you get muscles on your hands from playing piano?? I really wanna know! Because I think sometime in January or something like that I put on this plastic bracelet and I just had it on all the time, and you know what? Yesterday I tried getting it off and it just wouldn't go off anymore!!!!  :o cause my hand is too fat or something!  :o  :o  :o and I thought it's maybe because I got some muscles under my pinky I mean on the side of my hand under it :) cause I can really see them and feel them!  :) but I'm not sure if I had them before too or not  :-\ or did my hand just grow so much?!  :-\ but I don't think so! and it doesn't look fat either so I'm just not sure... well I guess I'll just have it on forever now... for the rest of my life! It's nice it's got glitters and butterflies :) well I think maybe i could get it off if I really tried for a long time with soap, yesterday I just tried for a while and it got half off but then my other hand started hurting from pulling it off so I put it back again... I just hope my wrist won't get fat too!! cause that wouldn't be cool cause the bracelet would get to tight then!  ::) Oh well I don't know... Did I get muscles? Or did I grow so much? Or did I just get so fat?!  ::) but I don't see any fat on my hands just bones and muscles  ;D Oh well whatever!  ::)  :P

edit: I just saw this was my 500th post!!!!! I can't believe it! :)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1675 on: August 15, 2010, 03:45:27 PM
There are muscles on the hand that pull the pinkie down and the one for the thumb.  If you move your whole pinkie downward you can see it on the side.  The rest are in your forearm.  I think they can get stronger, but there's also developing more coordination and control -- physical control over the muscle and mental control.

If you're still growing that might be part of it too.

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1676 on: August 16, 2010, 01:15:11 PM
Yes I can see that muscle on the side :) It's kinda a big muscle for such a little finger  :)  8)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1677 on: August 16, 2010, 07:19:14 PM

Cool piece.  I doubt it would work the same on piano.

&feature=related
&feature=related

&feature=related

&feature=related

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1678 on: August 18, 2010, 01:42:58 PM
Hm well last two or even three nights I had dreams about death!!!!  :o  :o  :o And first they were scary of course. But today it was kinda funny  :o  :) I know thats weird... but it was like... well first I was dreaming about being locked somewhere oh and before that about a really big garden and about a dolphin and then about some people with some special powers. And then death came!!  :o It was a guy... Mr Death (which is kinda funny because in my language death is really female) and he was really tall and he was kinda scary and he tried to look really mean and everything but then I don't know why I just didn't think he was all that scary anymore... it's like I knew  he was just pretending to be all mean and scary but he wasn't really  :-\  ;D And also he started asking if we have a piano there  :-\  ::)  ;D like he wanted to play or something  ;D well then he looked at me and it was like he wanted to take me with him (but i don't know if he was serious or if he was just joking). And he lifted me up so I could see his face (cause he was really tall) and I just said: Well you know right now I'm still very annoying and everything so I don't think you really want to take me with you, and I think I'll be annoying for another 100 years or maybe even 200 and after that you can take me with you, but make sure that when you do take me with you there will be a really good piano there where you're taking me. I think he laughed a little and then he let me go... and then I saw there was really a lot of people with him... and they had some papers and it was like something about their lives written on them. And I looked at one guys papers and I saw that he died in war! (I think it was World War but i don't know which one). And I think there was something different about the people who died in war (but I don't remember exactly what). And then when I saw that I said really quietly (don't know why) like I whispered: Oh you were in a war... and then I woke up. And after a while I knew why I woke up. It was becuase the electricity was gone and it become really really quiet! and I heard my clock ticking really really loudly! And what was also weird was that before I had this dream I woke up and I looked at my watch and I saw it was 12 already! (I have to sleep a lot now cause I'm sick  :) ) and then I fell asleep again and had this dream and when I woke up I looked at my watch again and it was again exactly the same! exactly 12!   :o But maybe I just saw it the wrong way the first time  :)  :P Well whatever, but I sure never ever thought I could think Mr Death was kinda cool  :o  ::)  :-\  :o  :) I think that can really only happen to me  ::)  :P  :)  :D  8)

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1679 on: August 18, 2010, 02:23:49 PM
You have a very mature conception of death!  It's only ugly when it arrives at an untimely moment, I guess.  And that's only because we're not prepared for it.
Have you tried to dream "lucid"-ly?  I bet you'd be good at it.  Try to remember to look at your hands when you're dreaming the next time.  Just bring your hands up to your face and observe them.  And THEN, the fun starts...! ;D

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1680 on: August 18, 2010, 05:12:40 PM
Put lavender oil on your pillows. No more nasty dreams.

Perhaps even hang a dream catcher from your bedroom ceiling.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1681 on: August 18, 2010, 06:36:59 PM
Wow.

https://www.fastcompany.com/1683302/iris-scanners-create-the-most-secure-city-in-the-world-welcomes-big-brother?partner=yahoobuzz

I have a feeling it's not going to be the government watching.  It's going to be business.

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1682 on: August 18, 2010, 07:13:01 PM
That dream of Littletune's doesn't seem so unusual. Dreams like that are in fact very common.  Sigmund Freud wrote a book that seems to have fallen out of fashion but for dream analysis can't be beat.

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1683 on: August 18, 2010, 07:46:23 PM
Dreams like that are common? really? Well I just hope it doesn't mean something scary!  :-\ but it didn't really seem scary.  :)

And thanks for the advice Thal :)

And Birba I looked in Wikipedia for "lucid" dream. That means you know you're dreaming? Cause that does sometimes happen to me that I kinda know I'm dreaming :) Why do you have to look at your hands? What happens then?  :) well I'll try to remember :)
Oh and well I was never really thinking about death that way.... until this dream :) that's why it was really weird and funny  :)

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1684 on: August 19, 2010, 03:13:23 PM
 No, those dreams aren't common but still occur now and then. One thing Freud pointed out was that dreams are seldom about what they are about. In other words in dreams real is not real, rather more like an analogy.

In a Freudian sense, a dream about death is actually about something other issue in your life.

And Birba, how is Roma these days? About 35 years ago I lived on the IV Fontana  near the intersection of the Via Tritone. Do they still have four rush hours a day? The big issue then was getting the shops to stay open all day. Standa/UPIM(?) was the first to try it. These days I hear nothing from over there.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1685 on: August 19, 2010, 03:28:13 PM
35 years ago?  Well, Rome has changed a lot since then!  IV novembre?  The quirinale hill.  Beautiful. I remember when I arrived here 40 years ago, the city was pure magic.  You wouldn't want to see it now.  ??? Nothing has changed architechurally-wise, but the chaos is unbearable and I thank god I also have a place in the country.  Most of the little stores still observe the "siesta", and now in mid-summer almost everything is closed up.  >:( Despite the inconvenience, it's the best time to visit!

Offline doctor_ivory

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1686 on: August 20, 2010, 01:54:16 AM
What's on my mind right now? . . .

The thought of my next piano lesson on Monday.  If you read my post "Problems with Piano lessons" on the Teaching Board you know why.  I could really use some suggestions.  Should I have a long sit down with my instructor and talk about it?  I don't really want to waste a lesson on that because lessons are expensive and since I am in Canada and my lessons are on mondays I frequently loose a week because of some pointless holiday.  So I only get about 2-3 lessons a month.  That in conjunction with the fact that latley my instructor has been cutting off my lessons exactly at the 1 hour mark (which she doesn't do for the student just prior to me) means my lessons have been of a far lesser quality than they used to, which is another reason I don't want to waste a lesson.

:(
"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence."
https://piano-wisdom.webs.com/

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1687 on: August 20, 2010, 03:59:08 PM
35 years ago?  Well, Rome has changed a lot since then!  IV novembre?  The quirinale hill. 

Don't I wish. I had a flat on the IV Fontane which was right in the middle of the chaos, near the corner of the via Rasella. I started out with a flat on Monte Mario which WAS pure magic but the traffic getting into town whether by car or bus was terrible.

Thanks for the update, Birba. I'm glad I was there when I was.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1688 on: August 21, 2010, 01:02:36 AM
the future, practicing, organizing, money....

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1689 on: August 22, 2010, 10:52:02 PM
Gershwin in the style of the Beach Boys. 

Sounds interesting, although this youtube clip makes it sound like it's the greatest thing ever written.

Although... I don't think I'd buy it.  I smell some corporate BS.  Disney.  And Brian Wilson in the second youtube clip here says he didn't know Gershwin wrote songs.   :o ::)  And I don't know what he's singing.  One of the clips of him singing makes me wonder if it's him singing.  Something feels a little off. 

I see this guy has posted some.  No Rhapsody in Blue though. :(

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1690 on: August 23, 2010, 07:33:37 PM
Yes, there is some not quite right about this. I can't figure out that when he talks he looks like he had had a stroke on his left side, but when he sings it seems to disappear.

If he can now sing that high, then why did the band need to hire another singer to sing his part?

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1691 on: August 23, 2010, 08:30:51 PM
I think I figured it out.  I found some other clips.  At first I thought someone was dugged over him in those videos -- which is probably partially true.

He can sound like that, or similar, while singing.  I found an audience member youtube video where he sounds similar.

I was thinking he must have one speaking voice and another more developed singing voice.

And then I found a few where he sounds pretty awful.

Here's what I think -- They took his better takes, maybe cleaned them up -- altered pitches, etc. -- and that's him singing in the video, but him singing along with a cleaned up version of him singing as the audio track for the video.

I hate it when they do stuff like that.  It seems unethical and dishonest.  At least say or make it obvious about what they've done or just leave it raw and honest (like some of the horrible singing I heard on those bootleg youtube videos).

I just wanted to hear Rhapsody in Blue arranged for voices.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1692 on: August 24, 2010, 04:27:44 AM
Rawr.

This just cracks me up. :)

Offline doctor_ivory

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1693 on: August 24, 2010, 06:02:36 AM
Rawr.

This just cracks me up. :)

Press play on this YouTube video below and then press play on the Cat video immediately after! And then watch the Cat!

"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence."
https://piano-wisdom.webs.com/

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1694 on: August 24, 2010, 12:35:25 PM
Yes, a little funnier that way.

Is there a dramatic message in that the cat has trouble and cannot get back into the box?  A visual message perhaps -- Once transformed it's impossible to return to the original state?

The box does kind of look like a monolith.

Try it with this music.

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1695 on: August 25, 2010, 10:36:38 AM
I'm so happy!  I have a new piano student   ;D  His sister has been taking lessons
from me for 3 years and now her brother wants to begin lessons.  Hooray!  Things
are starting to pick up in getting more students   8)
Also, I am getting more serious about my artwork.  I will have several oil and watercolor paintings, graphite and colored pencil drawings to be professionally framed.  I plan to get my artwork on display throughout the year.  So, making plans and getting excited about selling my artwork... :)

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1696 on: August 28, 2010, 02:53:16 AM

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1697 on: August 28, 2010, 04:44:37 PM
Frankly, Bob I don't know what we'd do without you finding these curiosities on the net. I'm not kidding, really, thank you. You never fail to come up with things that are tasteful, interesting and sometimes funny.

How do you find the time to look up these items?

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1698 on: August 30, 2010, 07:03:21 PM
Just google for them.    And find time by taking a break from everything else.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #1699 on: August 31, 2010, 05:54:42 PM
This reminds me of that video where the guy walks along the cliff.

This one does not remind me of the cliff video. ::)

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert