Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Last post wins!!!!!  (Read 1102113 times)

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Re: Last post wins!!!!!
Reply #11000 on: August 09, 2020, 05:45:34 AM
See, being an admirer of the human form, I never found it nescessary to click.

I believe it's a kind-hearted variation on the custom of inviting one to have some tea.

Yeah... sadly enough I was told vaguely that TEA was not involved... but it was brown.

I haven't seen it either, but again - one of those things I can live without.

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11001 on: August 09, 2020, 05:54:27 AM
I haven't seen it either, but again - one of those things I can live without.

Hey!  Dragline just said Bobby's video was boring.  Which it probably is, in addition to being probably disgusting and tainted.

I don't know if I much like that attitude.

Well, well.   

I'm thinking about a little banjo music and some porcine delights.

Sound about right?

I'll take seconds.  You go first, son.  Heck, it don't matter none to me all none much. 
My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11002 on: August 09, 2020, 05:26:41 PM
I must confess, I'm not that familiar with the New Orleans scene (definitely have to look into it some more though) but The Meters have a slight Curtis Mayfield vibe who I absolutely love. If you haven't heard the Superfly soundtrack I highly recommend it. Here's a little taste;

Curtis was my man! I'd take him any way over Rachmaninoff...

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11003 on: August 10, 2020, 10:06:37 AM
This is a piece of music that really tugs at the heart strings...

I miss the late 1990's, early 2000's. That was the best generation of genuine musicians (once you take out all those bastard boy bands, and the dreg that the Spice Girls churned out)

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11004 on: August 10, 2020, 03:26:39 PM
This is a piece of music that really tugs at the heart strings...

Yeah.  She's as good as Rachmaninoff, actually. 

Here is an interesting fact about Ms. Lavigne, though:  by the age of twelve she was already an accomplished percussionist, who performed the Bartok Sonata for 2 Pianos with some members of the Ontario Symphony Orchestra as her debut concert.

Magnificent, intelligent musician, and indeed she went on to plumb the depths of the human psyche as a young adult, adding experience as a vocalist and arranger to her already impressive CV.
My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11005 on: August 10, 2020, 07:21:06 PM

I miss the late 1990's, early 2000's. That was the best generation of genuine musicians (once you take out all those bastard boy bands, and the dreg that the Spice Girls churned out)

Personally cannot stand that kind of pathetic whining...I'd say good music became quite rare after the 70's.

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11006 on: August 10, 2020, 11:52:52 PM
I'd say good music became quite rare after the 70's.

I tend to agree but I think some of the greatest music came out of the 80's (see Kate Bush, Tom Waits, etc…).

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11007 on: August 11, 2020, 11:43:49 AM
Personally cannot stand that kind of pathetic whining...I'd say good music became quite rare after the 70's.

Nah - once you had arseholes in EMI records writing the songs for dingy fashion models (Bieber, Minaj, Spears) and let them mouth the lyrics while autotune and lip-synching became the norm - music went down the toilet.

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11008 on: August 11, 2020, 07:16:14 PM
Nah - once you had arseholes in EMI records writing the songs for dingy fashion models (Bieber, Minaj, Spears) and let them mouth the lyrics while autotune and lip-synching became the norm - music went down the toilet.

It might be time for the vocoder to make a reappearance, you know, or a Peter Frampton-style  talk-box.

Oh, wait, you kind of have to know how to use those.

Well, that's what recording engineers are for!

Offline compline

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11009 on: August 12, 2020, 04:31:10 AM
The sixties through 70's  was probably the best years for pop music, except for the Beatles dirge,  I could never stand them!

America were fortunate to have Simon & Garfunkel, their music was pure gold.   

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11010 on: August 12, 2020, 11:30:27 AM
The sixties through 70's  was probably the best years for pop music, except for the Beatles dirge,  I could never stand them!

What are your thoughts on Queen??? I must admit, even I am a fan of theirs.

Freddie Mercury had a HELL of a voice.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11011 on: August 12, 2020, 02:19:39 PM

I cannot stand Queen...or his singing.

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11012 on: August 12, 2020, 03:23:33 PM
And all roads lead back to Neil Connery's classic movie The Highlander.

Not sure if I've told this story here, but when I was twelve or thirteen I bought a pretty accurate, thick book of transcriptions of many performances of Led Zeppelin.  You know, drums on one staff, keys on a grand staff, bass, guitar in standard+tab, vx in an approximation.

The spine fell apart and I was pissed off so I typewrote a complaint to Hal Leonard saying "blah blah mewl pule how dare you!" 

They did apologize.  In their way:  they sent me a book of Queen transcriptions in the same series of "orchestral" scoring.

I thought it was brilliant, just to shut some kid up.  "All right you little queen, here's another book for you!"

Never read through it.  Sold it for like thirty bucks USD, though.

Quote from: compline
America were fortunate to have Simon & Garfunkel, their music was pure gold.

Art Garfunkel was a pretty good actor, I agree.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11013 on: August 12, 2020, 10:48:02 PM

*Bob feigns polite interest and like he's been paying attention the thread.  In reality, he isn't going to spend the time to figure out what's going on.*

*... and yet he still picks up the win.  8) *
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11014 on: August 12, 2020, 11:40:53 PM

*Bob feigns polite interest and like he's been paying attention the thread.  In reality, he isn't going to spend the time to figure out what's going on.*

Well, Bob.

You're a handsome fellow for a Canadian.

Hmmm....

The women won't have me any more, but I don't mind putting from the rough.

Oh. 

Dammit, you lost the thread. 

Your status has decreased.

Sing "Mr. Tambourine Man"! 

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11015 on: August 13, 2020, 09:57:22 AM

I'm glad someone else thinks so. The Beatles always sounded so generic to me. I don't think their music is "bad" per se but I've never heard anything particularly interesting from them.

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11016 on: August 13, 2020, 09:58:16 AM
I cannot stand Queen...or his singing.

I *** love that there is a shirt with this exact quote on it.

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11017 on: August 13, 2020, 01:39:23 PM
Yeah, who doesn't like Little Queenie.

She's too cute to be a minute over seventeen.

Offline compline

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11018 on: August 13, 2020, 01:59:14 PM

Mercury had a good singing voice, but as a person I didn't really like him.     

I would say though that the The Walker Brothers had great voices.  I also liked, Simple Minds,
but mostly I liked the  American pop sound, such as the Beach Boys. I was In Canada when they were popular.

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11019 on: August 13, 2020, 02:44:44 PM
I would say though that the The Walker Brothers had great voices.

The Walker Brothers.  The Ramones of their time.

But there can be only one!

Offline compline

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11020 on: August 13, 2020, 07:04:26 PM
I'm not familiar with  the guy.  You must be ancient!   :D

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11021 on: August 13, 2020, 10:48:14 PM
I'm not familiar with  the guy.  You must be ancient!   :D

For more information, please visit my youtube channel jtourawesome, and also my website where I tell three ancient secrets all pianists should know.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11022 on: August 13, 2020, 10:48:45 PM
Well, Bob.

You're a handsome fellow for a Canadian.

*Bob realizes Canadians must just be ugly though.... and Bob isn't Canadian..... Bob wonders what that meant, or if it was a back handed compliment..... *  You're handsome... for a Canadian?  What if you are or are not a Canadian......   *Bob's mind continues meadering....*

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11023 on: August 14, 2020, 12:31:07 AM
*Bob realizes Canadians must just be ugly though.... and Bob isn't Canadian..... Bob wonders what that meant, or if it was a back handed compliment..... *  You're handsome... for a Canadian?  What if you are or are not a Canadian......   *Bob's mind continues meadering....*

Yeah.  It's a man's secret!

What happens in prison, stays in prison, bunkmate.

Offline compline

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11024 on: August 14, 2020, 07:20:23 AM
For more information, please visit my youtube channel jtourawesome, and also my website where I tell three ancient secrets all pianists should know.

Looks like you have gone tits-up ! 

COVID19 UPDATE – The J-Tour is not available at this time and we do not anticipate it opening for the 2020 season.

;D

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11025 on: August 14, 2020, 08:02:37 AM

Looks like you have gone tits-up ! 

COVID19 UPDATE – The J-Tour is not available at this time and we do not anticipate it opening for the 2020 season.

;D

Oh, no, honey.

That's the kind of sugar papa likes.

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11026 on: August 14, 2020, 01:28:55 PM
That's the kind of sugar papa likes.

It's really CREEPY when you refer to yourself as 'Papa', especially on the internet.

Based upon the information you've given us, I wouldn't be surprised if you had a windowless van with a tear-stained mattress inside...

...not to mention masking tape and rope.

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11027 on: August 14, 2020, 06:07:39 PM
...not to mention masking tape and rope.

Please.

Zip ties, a ball gag, four liters of bleach, large plastic bags.

One must be professional in such matters.

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11028 on: August 14, 2020, 11:29:22 PM
[I'm just checking J_Tour and I live in different countries...]

PHEW... It's all good. Carry on.

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11029 on: August 14, 2020, 11:59:46 PM
[I'm just checking J_Tour and I live in different countries...]

PHEW... It's all good. Carry on.

That may be, but my breadth and girth encompass the globe!

No one is to have been spared my wrath.

KHAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11030 on: August 15, 2020, 05:00:42 AM

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11031 on: August 15, 2020, 05:36:10 AM
Yeah.  OK, Mr. Spock.  We know all about how you like to try to pick up girls by touching their neck and saying it was a Vulcan mind-meld.

These guys were part of Queen, right?

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11032 on: August 15, 2020, 09:54:33 AM
These guys were part of Queen, right?

How the *** would I know - I wasn't alive in the 1970's; I'm presuming that's where this music is from by the sound of it?

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11033 on: August 15, 2020, 05:33:29 PM
How the *** would I know - I wasn't alive in the 1970's; I'm presuming that's where this music is from by the sound of it?

I wouldn't know:  I don't listen to that crap.

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11034 on: August 16, 2020, 12:44:54 AM
Seems we've reached an impasse...

Well, I guess the noble thing to do J_Tour is to just quit while (you think) you're ahead.

;D

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11035 on: August 16, 2020, 03:09:13 AM
Seems we've reached an impasse...

Well, I guess the noble thing to do J_Tour is to just quit while (you think) you're ahead.

;D

What are the majuscule letters recently invented in your native country?  I don't know who or what a "J_Tour" is, except there's a convenient offset in some character notations to eliminate the problem, mr. roboto domo arigato.

And nobody accused me of being noble ever.  Just ask your sister.

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11036 on: August 16, 2020, 03:35:36 AM
And nobody accused me of being noble ever.  Just ask your sister.

I don't have a sister... could that have been a random hobo you met on the street? Or is it one of the other patients you know in the Psych-ward???

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11037 on: August 16, 2020, 05:15:52 AM
Or is it one of the other patients you know in the Psych-ward???

We prefer to call it the "quiet room."

It's really a designated ward, but we find our "guests" find it more comforting to consider it as a room.

Where everyone's friendly.

Of course, we do some fun when it's lights out, but that's just how we men in the clean white coats TCB.

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11038 on: August 16, 2020, 07:51:12 AM

You want to dig out any more video clips of movies from nineteen-sixty-whogivesacrap.

Try to keep up with the times.

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11039 on: August 16, 2020, 10:24:54 AM
You want to dig out any more video clips of movies from nineteen-sixty-whogivesacrap.

Try to keep up with the times.

Blasphemy! Blazing Saddles is one of the greatest comedies of all time!

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11040 on: August 16, 2020, 04:24:12 PM
Blasphemy! Blazing Saddles is one of the greatest comedies of all time!

You're damned right!  That other little fellow has been mixing his rye with his gin.

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11041 on: August 17, 2020, 11:19:37 AM

You realise that you've already posted this video before J_Tour...

Are we stuck in an infinite loop?!?

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11042 on: August 17, 2020, 03:39:04 PM
Are we stuck in an infinite loop?!?

no u

And this whole fetish for the glam-rock "group" Queen, what's that about?

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11043 on: August 18, 2020, 08:48:50 AM

First J_Tour posts a video that he's already posted from the past... and now he's posting videos that don't even exist.

It's a slippery slop to senility J_Tour... hope it's a smooth one for you.

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11044 on: August 18, 2020, 04:17:42 PM
It's a slippery slop to senility J_Tour... hope it's a smooth one for you.

Ain't no slope, slippery or otherwise, MF! 

I'm in it to win it, and already there!

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11045 on: August 19, 2020, 09:52:53 AM
Ain't no slope, slippery or otherwise, MF! 

I take it you're already fallen to the bottom of the ball pit then if there's no slope???

;D

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11046 on: August 19, 2020, 11:17:48 PM
*Bob checks his watch for the decade.*  ::)

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11047 on: August 20, 2020, 01:20:29 AM
This aggression will not stand!

There are snakes in the ball pit! 

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11048 on: August 20, 2020, 10:05:22 AM
There are snakes in the ball pit! 

You're the one in the ball pit... don't get bitten.

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11049 on: August 20, 2020, 03:24:41 PM
You're the one in the ball pit... don't get bitten.

The Ball Pit is that place you go to ride the leather pony, right, RachmaniBoy?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert