Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Last post wins!!!!!  (Read 1124663 times)

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Re: Last post wins!!!!!
Reply #10950 on: July 31, 2020, 10:50:17 AM
Can anyone translate???

Nope.  Gotta look that up in your Funk and Wagnall's, son.
My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10951 on: July 31, 2020, 11:48:50 PM
Nope.  Gotta look that up in your Funk and Wagnall's, son.

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10952 on: August 01, 2020, 01:53:04 AM
Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand.

My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10953 on: August 01, 2020, 02:11:07 AM
j_tour, thank you so much for introducing me to The Meters. Just found this gem;

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10954 on: August 01, 2020, 02:53:29 AM
j_tour, thank you so much for introducing me to The Meters.

No kidding.  That's cool!  Yeah, I think they really set themselves apart by being a coherent group, instead of rotating studio cats constantly.  Somewhat like Booker T. and the MGs in that respect, just different styles.

BTW on those classic Dr. John albums Right Place, Wrong Time, and Desitively Bonnaroo I believe that's exclusively Art Neville on the organ.  Some classic Hammond organ fills on those:  nothing fancy, just the right fill at the right moment.  ETA actually, I think it's the entire Funky Meters providing the rhythm section, with the exception of the good Doctor on pianos and probably some guitar.  And the guitar solo on "In the Right Place" was somebody else I can't remember's name.

Cool.  Glad to hear of another New Orleans fan.  That's a good jam you linked to:  never heard it before, I don't think, so thanks for that.

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10955 on: August 01, 2020, 04:21:18 AM
Give me Rachmaninoff anyday. It's good to not be doing anything today other than winning - that and playing video games.

I'm knackered after last weekend.

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10956 on: August 01, 2020, 05:02:58 AM
I'm knackered after last weekend.

Take the "go" pills, you lily-livered jive turkey!

You know, bennies, uppers, reds! 

Get up for the down stroke, slacker!

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10957 on: August 01, 2020, 06:27:08 AM
Glad to hear of another New Orleans fan.

I must confess, I'm not that familiar with the New Orleans scene (definitely have to look into it some more though) but The Meters have a slight Curtis Mayfield vibe who I absolutely love. If you haven't heard the Superfly soundtrack I highly recommend it. Here's a little taste;

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10958 on: August 01, 2020, 07:16:36 AM
I must confess, I'm not that familiar with the New Orleans scene (definitely have to look into it some more though) but The Meters have a slight Curtis Mayfield vibe who I absolutely love. If you haven't heard the Superfly soundtrack I highly recommend it.

An album cut!  I'll look forward to it.

Nah, I think the Meters really invented the fusion between NOLA second-line drumming (among other techniques) and traditional funk from up north.  Before then, it was a lot of regional hits, combined with standouts like Fats Domino and the select few who went nationwide, and Lee Dorsey and all the great singers who used more traditional R&B/rock and roll arrangements. 

And the people who used studios and session players since time immemorial like Ray Charles and so many others.

Anyway, I wouldn't even NOLA has one sound:  like they say, it's more of a mixture.  Maybe some of the countrified music, from Zydeco to Jelly Roll Morton stick to some specific genre, more or less loosely, depending.

Anyway, I'm not a scholar of NOLA music, it's just one of those profound influences I couldn't get away from if I tried, and I'm not even from there, although certainly have some distant cousins down in Cajun land of whom I'm unaware and vice versa.

I think the "scene" down there from hearsay is quite a bit a different from the 1950s-1970s, especially when a lot of iconic players moved to Los Angeles and did a bunch of session work, at least temporarily.  Much more modern, hip sounds, but always with an eye to the past, using the keyboards and the horns when desirable.

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10959 on: August 01, 2020, 10:40:36 AM
I'm more of a rebel... I need music to say something against society and it's norms.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10960 on: August 01, 2020, 04:38:41 PM
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10961 on: August 01, 2020, 06:45:25 PM
I'm more of a rebel... I need music to say something against society and it's norms.

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10962 on: August 02, 2020, 01:11:52 AM
I've gone through my entire life so far without hearing 'Baby Shark'... and I'll CONTINUE to go on without hearing it.

I've also never heard 'What does the fox say either'.

And I think I'm lucky for not having either of them, because if I did - I would end humanity.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10963 on: August 02, 2020, 08:21:19 AM
I've gone through my entire life so far without hearing 'Baby Shark'... and I'll CONTINUE to go on without hearing it.

I've also never heard 'What does the fox say either'.

And I think I'm lucky for not having either of them, because if I did - I would end humanity.

Well then... 8)

The baby shark dies.

And the fox says that he's actually the father.

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10964 on: August 02, 2020, 09:13:14 AM
Well then... 8)

The baby shark dies.

Thank F@#$ for that.

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10965 on: August 02, 2020, 05:17:58 PM
Kill the shark!  Drink its blood!  Kill the shark!  Drink its blood!

Now kill the pig!  Drink its blood!  Kill the pig!  Drink its blood!

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10966 on: August 03, 2020, 03:31:33 AM
I must confess, I'm not that familiar with the New Orleans scene (definitely have to look into it some more though) but The Meters have a slight Curtis Mayfield vibe who I absolutely love.

Oh, that's pretty uncanny, the bass guitar line between the Mayfield tune and the standard "Cissy Strut."

I find, despite having big enough hands for it, confusing to go between guitar and bass guitar, but if a 3/4-size double bass fell into my lap I'd be inclined to play it.

I don't know who the trap drums was on the Mayfield album, but he has a nice feel.  You know, especially working the decay/tempering of various cymbals with the hand.

I've given up on assembling a little kit, mostly because I've had the local law enforcement at my door more than enough times for not nothing.

Keep it real man, you have good taste,   8)

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10967 on: August 03, 2020, 08:58:10 AM
Kill the shark!  Drink its blood!  Kill the shark!  Drink its blood!

Now kill the pig!  Drink its blood!  Kill the pig!  Drink its blood!

Mmm... I've been meaning to finally get round to drinking a few pints of B positive and top myself up/

Delicious... never had sharks blood though.

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10968 on: August 03, 2020, 09:27:46 AM
Oh, that's pretty uncanny, the bass guitar line between the Mayfield tune and the standard "Cissy Strut."

I find, despite having big enough hands for it, confusing to go between guitar and bass guitar, but if a 3/4-size double bass fell into my lap I'd be inclined to play it.

I don't know who the trap drums was on the Mayfield album, but he has a nice feel.  You know, especially working the decay/tempering of various cymbals with the hand.

I've given up on assembling a little kit, mostly because I've had the local law enforcement at my door more than enough times for not nothing.

Keep it real man, you have good taste,   8)

Cheers. Right back at you.

Yeah, I'd love a nice drum kit as well but I just don't have the space and my left ear is a little sensitive due to an injury, so it probably wouldn't be a good idea anyway.

The drummer on the Mayfield track was Morris Jennings.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10969 on: August 03, 2020, 12:18:13 PM
Mmm... I've been meaning to finally get round to drinking a few pints of B positive and top myself up/
Forget B+...the only one worth having is O+

Personally I like to enjoy my blood well prepared...

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10970 on: August 03, 2020, 01:41:36 PM

I'll admit... when I saw this, the first thing I thought was that this was some weird delicacy like 'bulls penis' or something.

And then I realised - you're Outin, you're probably into that sort of thing.    ;D

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10971 on: August 03, 2020, 03:23:59 PM
I'll admit... when I saw this, the first thing I thought was that this was some weird delicacy like 'bulls penis' or something.

And then I realised - you're Outin, you're probably into that sort of thing.    ;D

Says a Scotchman...haggis?

Anyway, that is mustamakkara, a most delicious Finnish sausage!

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10972 on: August 03, 2020, 05:22:17 PM

Anyway, that is mustamakkara, a most delicious Finnish sausage!

Yeah, but it does have a kind of suggestive appearance.

Well, anything goes in the world of charcuterie.  The various blood sausages are rather good, I find, although I've not had any from this formula/recipe. 

ETA what's the one in the top-most picture?  I'm guessing a casing-less patty-type form of blood sausage, but I've never seen that and wouldn't know how to make it hold together.  Probably cook it gently on low heat?  Looks pretty good.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10973 on: August 03, 2020, 07:09:35 PM

ETA what's the one in the top-most picture?  I'm guessing a casing-less patty-type form of blood sausage, but I've never seen that and wouldn't know how to make it hold together.  Probably cook it gently on low heat?  Looks pretty good.

Those are what you would call blood crepes I guess :)
Very popular here...

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10974 on: August 04, 2020, 12:51:32 AM
Those are what you would call blood crepes I guess :)
Very popular here...

Good idea.  You should send some to interested forumites!  Eh, maybe doesn't travel so good in a cardboard box.  Much less one that could be leaking animal blood.  Might arouse suspicion among some who've seen the movie Seven.

Oh!  So you could wrap the flesh and blood tortilla around the bull penis blood sausage, and have a red-wing taco!  Extraordinary!  Eez magnifique!  Feast for the senses and exciting to the mind!  Geeniuz!

And it solves the age-old question, "How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?"  Really, it's a serious problem, but it is now solved!

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10975 on: August 04, 2020, 04:50:33 AM
We always eat our blood foods with lingonberries. I wonder why I never tried something else, like whipped cream and cholate sauce...

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10976 on: August 04, 2020, 09:03:38 AM

I may have been born in Scotland, but the bagpipes sound like someone blowing up an octupi's arsehole, golf is for people who want to pretend they're being active but really hit a ball and spend 80% of their time riding around in golf carts instead of doing exercises, and haggis tastes like something that was found at the end of a school year in a teenagers locker.

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10977 on: August 05, 2020, 10:46:33 PM
I may have been born in Scotland, but the bagpipes sound like someone blowing up an octupi's arsehole, golf is for people who want to pretend they're being active but really hit a ball and spend 80% of their time riding around in golf carts instead of doing exercises, and haggis tastes like something that was found at the end of a school year in a teenagers locker.

Well, I don't much care for the bagpipe either.  In the US, it almost invariably signifies an Irish or a Scots-Irish policeman's funeral, so I just stay away.

Miniature golf, though?  Isn't that where you take your high-school sweetheart and try to hide among the constructions and get one in the pocket?

No opinion about haggis. 

But Neil Connery in The Highlander sure did not approve of that comestible.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10978 on: August 05, 2020, 10:58:42 PM

That's reminds me... of the time I opened a bathroom stall and someone hadn't flushed.  And I thought, "That looks just like chocolate cake and cherries."  :-X

I don't remember but I'm sure it didn't smell like chocolate cake and cherries.  :-X

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10979 on: August 06, 2020, 01:37:21 AM
Oh, kudos, Bob!

That's an even better picture.

Pretty sure that's not chocolate cake, though, nor is the topping cat's milk.  Well, it might be a flour cake, but that's not what I want!

Goddamned, I have the hunger now!  I have a serious hunger for boudin noir:  not a full meal, but after I get done with these beers.

C'mon, you people can't be serious that blood sausage is anathema?  The Yankees?  Boudin noir, from birthplace of jazz. 

It's not like you eat it and it looks like you wiped your face with a damned Kotex pad:  it's a real food!

Besides, what would Paul Hogan do?

:)

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10980 on: August 06, 2020, 09:01:01 AM
Besides, what would Paul Hogan do?

Lie about his millions, screw the general Australia population about his income only to have the ATO pick apart his life for the money that he rightfully owes the government; only to realise that after having most of his money given back said government... make another shitty movie that really shouldn't see the light of day???

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10981 on: August 06, 2020, 03:28:49 PM
Lie about his millions, screw the general Australia population about his income only to have the ATO pick apart his life for the money that he rightfully owes the government; only to realise that after having most of his money given back said government... make another shitty movie that really shouldn't see the light of day???

Yeah, but he'd eat the meat, because he knows you can't have any pudding unless he eats the meat.

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10982 on: August 06, 2020, 03:31:24 PM
Who's Paul Hogan?

Never mind, could not care less...

Offline compline

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10983 on: August 06, 2020, 03:56:40 PM

That's reminds me... of the time I opened a bathroom stall and someone hadn't flushed.  And I thought, "That looks just like chocolate cake and cherries."  :-X

I don't remember but I'm sure it didn't smell like chocolate cake and cherries.  :-X

That stuff looks like gut rot!

:-X

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10984 on: August 06, 2020, 04:35:51 PM
Who's Paul Hogan?

Paul Hogan is the greatest American actor of his generation!

Unfortunately, he and Nick Nolte became embattled in a legendary blood feud which led to their mutual degradation and national disgrace.

Although credit belongs to Nicolas Cage and Gary Busey, who mediated the feud and spared much bloodshed and strife.

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10985 on: August 07, 2020, 06:57:37 AM
Who's Paul Hogan?

Neither does most Australians under the age of 40.

How did I miss this...

Paul Hogan is the greatest American actor of his generation!

That's wrong for 2 reasons - he ain't the greatest actor of his generation, and he isn't even American.

Offline compline

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10986 on: August 07, 2020, 02:16:28 PM
Here is the greatest, unsurpassed British actor of our time.

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10987 on: August 07, 2020, 06:47:28 PM
Here is the greatest, unsurpassed British actor of our time.

Oliver Reed!  I love that guy.

He was actually half-brother to the Scottish character actor Richard Widmark, which I didn't find out until recently.

Offline compline

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10988 on: August 07, 2020, 08:15:46 PM
Oliver Reed!  I love that guy.

He was actually half-brother to the Scottish character actor Richard Widmark, which I didn't find out until recently.

No, no, no, it's not Oliver Reed,  he was an old drunkard.

The famous actor's name is,  Sir Ian McKellen.

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10989 on: August 07, 2020, 10:25:27 PM

Exactly.

Richard Burton. 

Great American actor.

He married Paul Hogan's sister, actually.  Twice! 

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10990 on: August 08, 2020, 12:55:03 AM

Can't hold a straight face though...

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10991 on: August 08, 2020, 02:06:12 AM
Can't hold a straight face though...

Oh.  That guy.  Yeah, he was a hobbit or a gremlin or an elf or something, and he had a bad habit like his Australian peer in acting, Orson Welles.  Didn't he have one of those fancy hats in a Captain X-Files movies too?  Pretty sure.

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10992 on: August 08, 2020, 07:58:38 AM
Orson Welles.  Didn't he have one of those fancy hats in a Captain X-Files movies too? 

And yet he stooped so low, as to having make money by selling wine and being a product mascot.

How low...

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10993 on: August 08, 2020, 09:27:56 AM
*Bob quietly pulls into the lead again.*  8)

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FlamboyantPlainFruitbat-mobile.mp4

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10994 on: August 08, 2020, 02:16:09 PM
*Bob quietly pulls into the lead again.*  8)

*Bob quietly forgets you can't embed MP4's into the forum*

AND, I ain't clicking it as it may be something weird... like Bob usually posts.

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10995 on: August 08, 2020, 06:39:50 PM
AND, I ain't clicking it as it may be something weird... like Bob usually posts.

No!

A link to a file named in part FlamboyantPlainFruitbat is surely not strange.

I'd click it, but, I don't know, I think the water is boiling in the kitchen or something.

Perfectly innocent, one is sure.

Offline compline

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10996 on: August 08, 2020, 07:08:39 PM
No!

I'd click it, but, I don't know, I think the water is boiling in the kitchen or something.

Perfectly innocent, one is sure.

Oh dear, what scaredy-cats! you all are  afraid to live dangerously.  Bob's boring 4 second video is only a truck driving along at speed.

Offline compline

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10997 on: August 08, 2020, 07:15:15 PM
So this is what men get up to in the Gents washroom!   :P

Online perfect_pitch

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10998 on: August 09, 2020, 01:08:01 AM

They said the same thing about 2 Girls, 1 Cup.

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10999 on: August 09, 2020, 04:28:40 AM
They said the same thing about 2 Girls, 1 Cup.

Exactly! 

See, being an admirer of the human form, I never found it nescessary to click.

Since I haven't seen the film, I can only speculate. 

I believe it's a kind-hearted variation on the custom of inviting one to have some tea.

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert